mtbr member
    Mar 2006

New question here. Bandit 29r questions

LeeL, you seem to have a bunch of ride time on the Bandit 29 and I was wondering if you could give me some info / opinions since you get to ride A LOT of bikes. At least more than I can demo. Stats 5'10" 29" inseam short legs and arms. I would also be stoked to hear others input as well, I just know we all (MTBers in general) get real excited about our new bikes and don't always see the fault in them.

I am going to be getting a 29er in the near future and I am seriously considering the Bandit 29. I am a clyde that lives in FL and most of our trails are flat compared to what you have been riding, but they are pretty technical. Tight and twisty, pretty rocky and/or rooty too. I have the feeling B29 would be a great super solid bike I wouldn't break. The guys at transition recommend a M frame partly because they don't have the L in stock and partially because I have long torso with short arms & legs. I also tend to prefer smaller snappier bikes over larger bikes.

I don't want to cut my options too short because I got excited about a bike and ignored something else.

My local trail is very tight and twist with a great deal of roots. Most of the locals have gone to 29ers and are simply hauling ass on them. I am having a hard time keeping up on my 26r. Maybe it is more me, yet I still wan to join the 29er party!
    Last edited by rekibtm; 06-19-2012 at 05:59 PM.
    don't sweat the petty things, and pet the sweaty things

eci
    Background: I come from a background of mainly downhill. I typically ride 50+ days a yr of down hill and 20 days of xc. I am 5'9", 29" inseam.

I demo'd a B29L with a super short stem and it was perfect for my riding style. The B29 L i demo'd had a 50mm stem on it for fit. I ended up purchasing a medium b26 bc i was uneasy about the bigger wheels(dumb i know) on the b26 i am running a 60mm stem and it feels good.

So the question is do you want a medium and run a medium sized stem or a large and run a super short stem?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I think I would be more comfortabel on a smaller bike with a longer stem. Which still would be a short stem if we were talking about purely XC.

banjo plunker, wrench
    Hi there...I don't think that you would be happy with the large frame, it's not that it would be too large, just not what you may want if you know you usually ride a smaller bike. I usually can ride a medium or large in most frame sizes. I'm 5'11" and have 32" inseam with 34" sleeve length. The folks at Transition suggested a large frame, and I'm glad that I took their advice. I'm totally happy on the Transition B29 Large with an 80mm stem. I tried the 50mm and then a 70mm and ended up with an 80mm. I would be careful of going too long with the stem length though...it is a "play"/am bike, and lengthening the stem out too far would take away from the bike's great handling. Good Luck, and if you do decide on the B29 you will be smiling in the Sunshine State!
    any time spent riding a bicycle is re-cycled goodness....

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    They do fit small, but I am almost the same size (5'9" with 30" inseam) and love my medium. With a 29" inseam you won't have very much exposed seatpost (100mm dropper may not even work) and you won't be even close to being able to stand over the bike (not that that's a big deal really). I run a 60mm stem, could run a 70 if this wasn't also my shuttle bike right now.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    So how is the small bump compliance, and is there much bob while standing?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rekibtm View Post
    So how is the small bump compliance, and is there much bob while standing?
    It mainly only bobs if you pump the bike or stand up and sprint, anything else is pretty minimal and controllable with pedal technique.

If you need to stand up on uphills I would put propedal on.
    Pivot mach 6!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    If you have new fox CTD and on climb mode, it is almost like a hardtail.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sakucee View Post
    If you have new fox CTD and on climb mode, it is almost like a hardtail.
    would you say it's significantly more efficient climbing than with a 2011 rp23 with propedal swiched on?

i'm personally not a fan of turning knobs and flipping switches on my bike mid-ride unless i'm riding somewhere with extended climbs followed by long descents, and so far i've been content just leaving my B29 with its shock and fork wide open...
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tdotrider View Post
    would you say it's significantly more efficient climbing than with a 2011 rp23 with propedal swiched on?

i'm personally not a fan of turning knobs and flipping switches on my bike mid-ride unless i'm riding somewhere with extended climbs followed by long descents, and so far i've been content just leaving my B29 with its shock and fork wide open...
    Float CTD BV platform with climb mode is very, very, very firm.

If i stand up and pedal my forks move and the shock only extends from the sag and stops at sag point.

I don't use it on trail climbs at all unless we are talking about good condition dirt-road smoothness, on tarmac and dirt roads the shock doesn't eat undulations at all, it does however open if you jump/bunnyhop or hit a square edge (like a low curb on street riding).

The platform wont open from pedaling while seated at all at my weight (68kg with gear on).