mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Bandit 29er vs Covertv29er

Trying to decide between the covert 29er and the bandit 29er. Mainly do cross country riding with a little AM from time to time. I am used it riding a 150mm travel bike so don't want to regret the 120 travel on the new bandit but do I need a 140 xc bike? A lot of people are riding hard tails here but cannot get myself to do that. . In the Midwest area.
    Any advice helps.

RYD W/ FLO
    Mar 2007
    Midwest trails, most other riders on a HT... I'm thinking the Bandit would be more fun for ya. Even with 10mm less travel and the geo tweaks, I anticipate that the 2013 Bandit will still be a fun and capable bike.

For reference, I ride GJ/Fruita/Moab weekly and wouldn't trade my '12 Bandit 29 for the Covert 29. Granted, I have not ridden the Covert 29 but the '12 Bandit has never left me wanting for more in the chincky techgnar XC that we have out here and it feels somewhat spry (for a 30#+ bike) on the ups.

I wrote down my observations from this summer here if you want to know a little bit more about how the bike rides and my impressions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Bandit for sure it sounds based on your riding preferences. Go 140 in the front and you have very close to the same geo as 2012. The Bandit is the lighter bike for sure.
    The Dropnzone
    Bellingham,Wa
    www.dropnzone.com
    1-888-95 Pin it

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad_Money View Post
    Bandit for sure it sounds based on your riding preferences. Go 140 in the front and you have very close to the same geo as 2012. The Bandit is the lighter bike for sure.
    Thanks, I pre ordered one a couple days ago. Super stoked on it! I got the stealth black, I hope its similar to the pewter from last year as that one is beautiful.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad_Money View Post
    Would that translate into a somewhat unbalanced feel on the bike since the rear is 120mm now?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmountainskiercfg View Post
    Thanks, I pre ordered one a couple days ago. Super stoked on it! I got the stealth black, I hope its similar to the pewter from last year as that one is beautiful.
    Did they tell you a delivery date?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbrain View Post
    Would that translate into a somewhat unbalanced feel on the bike since the rear is 120mm now?
    We would reccomend the 130mm travel 34 Float rather than the 140mm travel fork. THAT fork would be more balanced feeling and the geo will be closest to the 2012, if that is what you are after.

The 140mm fork would actually make the 2013 considerably slacker than a 2012 and it is definitely going to feel more unbalanced.

Our reccomendations...

Bandit 29 120mm with either 120mm 32 or 130mm 34 (head angles of 69 or about 68.25)
    Covert 29 140mm with either 140mm 34 or 150mm 34 (head angles of 68 or about 67.5)

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    No, they haven't given me a delivery date yet, they estimated sometime around Christmas time but... nothing really set up. Maybe transition can help with something more concrete as a time frame....

Transition- so I ordered the 140 fork with my 2013 bandit, I should contact the shop and have them get the 130 instead?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Bikes View Post
    Our reccomendations...

Bandit 29 120mm with either 120mm 32 or 130mm 34 (head angles of 69 or about 68.25)
    Covert 29 140mm with either 140mm 34 or 150mm 34 (head angles of 68 or about 67.5)
    Sorry for polluting the thread, but someone maybe can help me: on my 2012 B29 I have
    a Talas 34 , can it extend to 150mm ? tks

Walter

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    We would reccomend the 130mm travel 34 Float rather than the 140mm travel fork. THAT fork would be more balanced feeling and the geo will be closest to the 2012, if that is what you are after.

The 140mm fork would actually make the 2013 considerably slacker than a 2012 and it is definitely going to feel more unbalanced.

Our reccomendations...

130mm on the Bandit fork seems like it makes more sense then. I'm still confused on which bike would better suit a technical rider that still likes to climb. I'm in Austin and we don't have the long elevation change, but the riding is rocky technical chunk with drops, steep ups and down. There are some trails with extended climbing, but nothing compared to big mountain riding. For reference I ride a 6" travel 26" wheeled bike now with a Lyrik up front and a Monarch Plus on the back. I descends well however it isn't the best climber - although that could be the rider.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Now that both bikes are on the transition website it appears the Covert comes a little over a half pound heavier for the medium. Not much in the grand scheme of things however I'm not wondering of the Covert 29 is really meant for somewhere that tends to ride a ton of DH, jumps, etc.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Further geo question

I have a 2012 Transam 29 that I believe has a 68.50 deg head angle with a 120mm fork. From what Transition posted it appears that the Bandit with a 130mm fork would have a 68.25 deg head angle. That makes it pretty close to one another.

Since I really like how the 2012 Transam 29 rides what I'm wondering is if the overall geo is similar to the 2013 Bandit. ?????

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I have a 2012 Transam 29 that I believe has a 68.50 deg head angle with a 120mm fork. From what Transition posted it appears that the Bandit with a 130mm fork would have a 68.25 deg head angle. That makes it pretty close to one another.

Since I really like how the 2012 Transam 29 rides what I'm wondering is if the overall geo is similar to the 2013 Bandit. ?????
    Honestly the ride of the 2013 Bandit 29 with the normal 120mm fork is probably closer to the TransAM 29. Hard to compare a hardtail and a FS frame... since there are so many differences in total.

But keep in mind that on the HT you have no sag in the rear, so even if you run your fork pretty stiff and it only sags a little, the head angle in riding mode will be a bit steeper than on paper. Similar issue with HT, FS and longer travels effect on BB height after sag.

Also don't forget that the TA 29 has a shorter chainstay, which also quickens the handling a bit more. The added rear suspension and longer wheelbase of the Bandit 29 will be a more stable ride even with the same 120mm fork.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Boy I'm glad I got the 2012...lol

I bought the frame and fork from Grassroots Cycles this past summer on a trip to Colorado. Couldn't find one to test ride anywhere here in Texas.

It took me a while to get all the parts I wanted for my build. I should have all of them in by next week. I took a dirty spill on my Stumpy 10 weeks ago and shatters my collar bone. Surgery, rehab has me on the mend and my first ride back on the dirt will be my new build. Pics coming soon.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Honestly the ride of the 2013 Bandit 29 with the normal 120mm fork is probably closer to the TransAM 29. Hard to compare a hardtail and a FS frame... since there are so many differences in total.

But keep in mind that on the HT you have no sag in the rear, so even if you run your fork pretty stiff and it only sags a little, the head angle in riding mode will be a bit steeper than on paper. Similar issue with HT, FS and longer travels effect on BB height after sag.

Also don't forget that the TA 29 has a shorter chainstay, which also quickens the handling a bit more. The added rear suspension and longer wheelbase of the Bandit 29 will be a more stable ride even with the same 120mm fork.
    Thanks. I've been looking for BB height info for the Bandit 29 and Covert 29 and can't find anything. Would you happen to have some numbers on that?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks. I've been looking for BB height info for the Bandit 29 and Covert 29 and can't find anything. Would you happen to have some numbers on that?
    It would vary greatly depend on tire choice, but we list BB drop on the geo charts. We use 372mm as our estimated 29 wheel radius. So just take 372mm and subtract the BB drop listed in our website...

And just a reminder... 1" = 25.4mm

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    It would vary greatly depend on tire choice, but we list BB drop on the geo charts. We use 372mm as our estimated 29 wheel radius. So just take 372mm and subtract the BB drop listed in our website...

And just a reminder... 1" = 25.4mm
    Thank you for that info. It solidified my decision to go with the Bandit. XL stealth black on order with DNZ. Can't wait to rip it!