mtbr member

Bandit 29 wheel opinions

I've been riding Revolutions on my last umpteen bikes and they've always been good to me, but with the arrival of my bandit 29, I'm thinking about upgrading. I can get a set of Sun-Ringle Charger Pros for $350 and shed about 500 grams. What do you think? Worth it, or just wear out the Revolutions?
    Binary Transition Bikes Demon Dirt

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Damn - what a price. Do it
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Where are you finding Charger Pros for only $350?

I know the Experts were readily available for $300 or so (I picked up a pair for $310).

mtbr member
    Yeah thats a great price. I would have gone that route if I saw that deal first, but I did manage to score Stan's ZTR Flows wheelset for $399 from Colorado Cyclist.

mtbr member
    Hey mate, sun or stans flow stock wheelset are both great options but I must say my 142x12 stans "rebranded?" hub has recently developed some substantial play (wheel wobble) and I know I could just replace the bearings but I will be replacing the whole hub for something I trust more like some chris king!

I ride pretty hard but I dont do too many miles, If I could go back in time I would probably get the sun ringle because it's got the same stans rim but different hub I'm pretty sure anyway.
    Pivot mach 6!

mtbr member
    Well I wish I could give you all a link, but I can't. Just a shop connection I have. But it looks like the consensus is that the upgrade would be worth it?
    Binary Transition Bikes Demon Dirt

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Absolutely you should get that wheelset. If you don't I will
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel RW View Post
    Hey mate, sun or stans flow stock wheelset are both great options but I must say my 142x12 stans "rebranded?" hub has recently developed some substantial play (wheel wobble) and I know I could just replace the bearings but I will be replacing the whole hub for something I trust more like some chris king!

I ride pretty hard but I dont do too many miles, If I could go back in time I would probably get the sun ringle because it's got the same stans rim but different hub I'm pretty sure anyway.
    It's the same BST technology, but the Sun-Ringle Charger rim profile is definitely more stout. I've had a ZTR Flow wheelset at the house, and the Charger rim looks more robust for sure. And rebuilding a Sun-Ringle Charger wheelset if need be isn't as simple as those wheels are only a 28-spoke count, and I don't recall any of the decent hubs (Hope, Hadley, CK) coming in 28 holes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I think going tubeless also really adds to the fun with 29ers a bit more so than on a 26er... nice reduction in spinning inertia.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CalvinHobbs View Post
    I think going tubeless also really adds to the fun with 29ers a bit more so than on a 26er... nice reduction in spinning inertia.
    Very true. Plus setting up the Sun-Ringle Chargers was super easy tubeless. Just mounted the tires (Ardents 2.4/2.25, add sealant, fill them up with air, listen for the bead pop and shake around a bit. I'm definitely converted to being a tubeless fan!!!