Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Bandit 29 - rear suspension "knocking" noise?

Just wondering if anybody out there with a B-29 has ever experienced a strange "knocking" or "popping" noise from their bike when the suspension compresses sharply, followed by the same noise when you start pedaling again. My Bandit has been making that noise since it was first built. If I'm just riding along and hit a sharp bump, when the suspension compresses - the first time only - I hear a definite sharp sounding knock or pop, and I can feel it reverberate through the cranks into the pedals. It happens regardless of whether I'm sitting or standing. If I continue to coast without pedaling, it doesn't knock on any other bumps - until I begin to pedal again. Once I start pedaling, it "knocks" once and then doesn't knock again until I hit the next sharp bump.

Seems very odd to me. The only time I've ever experienced this in the past was when my frame had a crack in it and I didn't realize it. I'm wondering if I have a bad bearing somewhere. All the pivot bolts seem to be tight, although I can't check the main bolt behind the crankset. Nothing else looks or feels off-kilter. I thought maybe the BB was installed slightly crooked or off, but it looks straight and the bike makes the knock on a sharp bump or g-out whether I'm standing or sitting. If I stand up and hop around on the bike, I can't make it make the noise - it only seems to want to do it when I'm actually riding. And, again, only on the first sharp bump or g-out and then again on the next hard pedal stroke. Either time I can feel the knock through the pedals.

Thoughts? I'm flummoxed and don't want to cause any permanent damage to the frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    This happens on my Bandit with the initiation of a hard pedal stroke. Dismantled and reinstalled the cranks and they seem fine but the noise is still present.

Edit to add also tightened pivots although they didn't need it.
    Last edited by Hoka Hey; 07-10-2012 at 04:41 PM.

mtbr member
    And check and tightten all pivots, especially the main one by the BB.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Mine also pops and clicks on hard uphill, out of the saddle efforts. I have to think something somewhere is loose, out of alignment, or installed improperly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Exact same thing here with 2011 Covert. Not sure what it could be. Any word from Transition?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have a creaking every left pedal stroke. I can't imagine I would be needing a new BB this soon, but I dunno what's up

mtbr member
    Pull the crank and tighten the lower pivot. My guess is that's the solution. At least it fixed my frame "noise".

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by twistedshifter View Post
    Exact same thing here with 2011 Covert. Not sure what it could be. Any word from Transition?
    I am planning on calling them this AM to get their input. Bike goes to the shop today to pull the crank and tighten that pivot. I've heard that these frames do tend to go through bearings on a regular basis.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Huh... you are checking all the right things, but without the bike in front of us there isn't much we are going to be able to figure out.

Hopefully the shop can get you dialed. Process of elimination and narrow it down to something specific.

Check all these things...

Pivot Bolts
    Hub Axle End Caps
    Cassette and Cassette Body
    Seatpost Saddle Interface (Reverbs make a terrible noise sometimes, so can rigid posts)
    Bottom Bracket, Cranks, Rings and Pedals

If you are using Truvativ cranks with the GXP bottom bracket the plastic top hat on the driveside has a tendency to crack or wear down causing a knock in the pedal stroke.

So, yeah... it could be a lot of things. Hard to say. Good luck!

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the follow up, Transition guys. I'm using an SLX crankset and Shimano BB, so it's not a Truvativ issue. Plus, it makes the noises whether I'm sitting or standing, so I'd have to think it's not the saddle/post interface. The King rear hub was just converted to 142 x 12, but the noise was present when I had the 135 x 9 and QR dropouts installed. I'll follow up when I get the bike back.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Shop guy reports a loose main pivot bolt on the drive side. Sounds like it had backed out a tad. I haven't ridden it yet, but he said that after he cleaned up the area and tightened the bolts to spec he couldn't get it to make the knocking noise. Crossing my fingers that this does the trick...

mtbr member
    I demoed a B-29 yesterday and noticed the same "click." Only happened a few time in a couple of hours, but not a pleasant feeling.

I was assuming it was drive-train or hub related. I didn't spend any time on it because it wasn't my bike. I hope this isn't a serious problem because I'm probably going to buy a B-26!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I had the same click in my B 26, tried lots of stuff but eventually popped the top off the bearings seals and the bearing had no grease at all. I re-greased them, put the seal back on and the bike has not made any noise since.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    wolfboy
    Did you pull the bearings and do you need a tool for that?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoka Hey View Post
    wolfboy
    Did you pull the bearings and do you need a tool for that?
    No you just pop the little seal of the bearing with a knife etc. You can then see the actual Ball bearings. I added some fresh grease, popped the seal back on and put the swingarm and link back on. All noise gone!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    No more noise after packing the lower pivot bearings with grease!

mtbr member
    Mine has it, will check everything as soon as I get home in a week. In the meantime, keep riding with the little knock lol

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    90% of the time it's a shock bolt isn't torqued tightly enough. They need to be very tight.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Mine was quiet for a while, but the click/knock has gradually come back. Bike is back to the mechanic. He suspects a bad bearing on pivot where the bolt keeps backing out.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Bearings were fine and the bolts were torqued to spec. He reversed the pivot bolt and added some loctite. All was quiet for about 3 rides, but now I'm getting a "click-click-click-click" on any pedal stroke that isn't absolutely a smooth, perfect circle. Can't figure this durn thing out. The loud knocking noise on suspension compression and subsequent hard pedal stroke are gone, but this new noise is driving me crazy.

I've had noisy bikes and quiet bikes - my Jet 9 makes absolutely no noise - so I'm just coming to the conclusion that the Bandit is noisy and the only fix is to turn my iPod up louder.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Did he pop off the bearing covers and pack the balls with grease? Tell them to do this if not. I only did my main bearings and haven't heard a peep from it since. Easy project and the bearings were pretty darn dry when I got in there.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    I'm assuming he did, but I'll check with him. Thanks!

EvilRider
    Oct 2008
    Never noticed in mind till I read this post ! I'd describe mine as a knock and you can feel it resonate in the frame when compressing the suspension by hand, in the driveway. Never noticed it riding .... It is the rear derailleur. I have the X9 type 2 and when I lock it in the unsprung position there is no knocking. As soon as it tensions upon engagement .... Knock knock. But again never hear or feel it when riding ....

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I had the same issue and fixed it with grease and proper torque to the main pivot.

mtbr member
    Had the same, brand new frame. but after messing eith it and eliminating it was the cable routing near the pivot and crank... that made that noise, hard to belive but after i fixed them together it was gone.
    read online books -Publish and read books online for free with publisheep.com