mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Bandit 29 crank question

How many spacers did you have to use on the drive side for your XT crank and BB to work?

I tried mine with the 2x10 SRAM rings during the build but even with one spacer on the drive side it was way to close for comfort with the chainstay. I then installed the sram BB and crank with no spacers and that had more space away from the chainstay without any issues.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbrain View Post
    How many spacers did you have to use on the drive side for your XT crank and BB to work?

I tried mine with the 2x10 SRAM rings during the build but even with one spacer on the drive side it was way to close for comfort with the chainstay. I then installed the sram BB and crank with no spacers and that had more space away from the chainstay without any issues.
    It should be one 2.5mm spacer behind the driveside BB cup.

Most of the GXP SRAM cranks work backwords... spacers on the non-driveside will change the chainline.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I tried it with one 2.5mm spacer on the drive and the 38t ring does clear the chainstay but it was very close. After my first ride I noticed that the 38t ring must have hit the chainstay on suspension compression or flex as there was a very small notch in the chainstay and I could see there had also been contact with the housing on the rear derailleur cable.

For comparison I mounted the SRAM crank that came with the build 2 kit has noticably more space from the chainstay.