Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    16

    Bandit 29 with a 140 fork?

    I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a 2013 Bandit 29 and I was thinking about going with a 140 fork. Mostly to slack it out a bit and maybe give me a little more plush to make up for my lack of skill.

    When I talked to my not so local (1500 km away) dealer, they weren't sure if running a 140mm fork on the bandit would work or what it would do to the balance of the bike. I noticed on transitions site they offer the bandit with a 130mm fork, but I can't figure out if that's a custom thing from Fox, or if you can modify a 34 140 to be a 130.

    Does anyone have any experience with the new 2013 bandit 29 with a 140mm fork? That's probably the only thing holding me back from placing my order.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,172
    I'm running the 34 130mm upgrade from Transition on mine. I feel plush enough up front for the downs but still not so tall that wheelies up climbs. Somewhere there is a video floating around where Sam from Transition talks about the 130mm up front making the geo similar to the 2012 Bandit 29.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    16
    Hmm I wonder if you can buy the 130mm by itself or mod a 140mm. As much as I'd like to get a complete bike, the wife has only agreed to the purchase of a frame and fork. So getting a complete with the 130 upgrade isn't an option for me.

    I did some searching and I can't seem to find a guide anywhere that shows how to mod a 140mm down to 130mm travel.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,311
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCold View Post
    Hmm I wonder if you can buy the 130mm by itself or mod a 140mm. As much as I'd like to get a complete bike, the wife has only agreed to the purchase of a frame and fork. So getting a complete with the 130 upgrade isn't an option for me.

    I did some searching and I can't seem to find a guide anywhere that shows how to mod a 140mm down to 130mm travel.
    WebHelp

    QUICK TECH FORKS > 2013 Float 130 - 180 Travel Adjust

    And if you're getting a pre-CTD Fox 34 Float, it's as simple as stuffing a 10mm spacer inside to space down travel.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    WebHelp

    QUICK TECH FORKS > 2013 Float 130 - 180 Travel Adjust

    And if you're getting a pre-CTD Fox 34 Float, it's as simple as stuffing a 10mm spacer inside to space down travel.
    Oh that is exactly what I have been searching for! Thank you! Saving that book mark for sure.

    With that said, I pulled the trigger today. I ordered up a Bandit 29 frame and 34 Float 29 140 fork today. I'm so excited.

    Now the hard part, waiting for the mail man to bring me my new toys.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,311
    Nice job, what color did you order of the frame?

  7. #7
    rider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,336
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCold View Post
    Hmm I wonder if you can buy the 130mm by itself or mod a 140mm. As much as I'd like to get a complete bike, the wife has only agreed to the purchase of a frame and fork. So getting a complete with the 130 upgrade isn't an option for me.

    I did some searching and I can't seem to find a guide anywhere that shows how to mod a 140mm down to 130mm travel.
    I'm pretty sure that you don't need to buy a complete to get a 130mm F34. Just buy the frame and fork AT THE SAME TIME and you should be able to spec the 130mm fork. If you don't buy a frame from Transition, per their contractual relationship with Fox, simply cannot sell you a fork. Fox is very sticky about the fact that the frame and fork must be on the same order/invoice. Fox has the same deal with Intense as well.

    Been thru this recently. I bought a Trans Am 29 to run with a 140mm WB Loop and, in the same order, bought a black Float F34 set at 150mm to run on my Covert 29.
    Last edited by 29erchico; 03-25-2013 at 09:23 PM.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Nice job, what color did you order of the frame?
    It was a tough choice between the matte white and the stealth black. I wanted the white because my EMD is black, but in the end, the sexy stealth black won me over. I checked out both colours in the shop, and that black looks really good in person.

    Quote Originally Posted by 29erchico View Post
    I'm pretty sure that you don't need to buy a complete to get a 130mm F34. Just buy the frame and fork AT THE SAME TIME and you should be able to spec the 130mm fork. If you don't buy a frame from Transition, per their contractual relationship with Fox, simply cannot sell you a fork. Fox is very sticky about the fact that the frame and fork must be on the same order/invoice. Fox has the same deal with Intense as well.

    Been thru this recently. I bought a Trans Am 29 to run with a 140mm WB Loop and, in the same order, bought a black Float F34 set at 150mm to run on my Covert 29.
    When I asked the shop about it they didn't think that you could do it that way. So I had to go with an after market purchase of the fork. Good to know for next time though. For now I guess I get to learn how to service the fork and adjust the travel myself. But really, how much longer can the axle to crown be on the 140mm. Im hoping its not too bad and I can just leave it alone for this season. . We don't have a whole lot of climbing in Winnipeg, MB so maybe I can get away with leaving it at 140 for now.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    372
    It's the same fork, A2C will be the same. Just travel limited by a removable spacer.


    Oh, sorry, you understand that, don't you? YOu just meant A2C difference when set at 140 instead of 130?
    Bend, OR

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    570
    FYI everyone...

    The RLC model forks could have the travel adjusted with internal spacers. However, when Fox moved to the CTD damper they also upgraded the air spring. The new (and much nicer) air spring is travel specific and cannot be changed up or down in travel.

    If you buy a 130mm 34 fork from us, it will stay 130mm only. I think you might still be able to up it to 140mm but you would need an entire new air spring, and possibly a new damper assembly as well. If you can do it, it certainly wouldn't be cheap or easy.

    We would strongly recommend a 130mm 34 on the current Bandit 29 as compared to the 140mm option. Both would work, but going from the 32 series to the 34 series also adds height in the crown. So a 130mm 34 is already raising the front end of the bike by more than 10mm. Going all the way up to 140mm would throw off the balance of the bike (in our opinion).

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    372
    If i understand correctly, the new CTD fork can still be dropped from 140 to 130, but that's it, no lower. The old RLC fork could be dropped lower.

    The link posted further up in the thread discusses the procedure. The spreadsheet linked here lists what forks can be set to what travel length:

    http://service.foxracingshox.com/con...assemblies.xls

    To switch a 29er Fox 34 140 to 130 you'll need to get the part: 234-04-374 (shuttle bumper)

    It looks like the 130 cannot be changed.

    Also looks like the 140 and 150 share the same air shaft and bumper, but the neg plate is different. Even so, they don't show the 140 as being adjustable to 150.

    Here, i made a screengrab of the table. It looks like the 150 fork can be set to 140 or 130, but a 140 fork cannot be set to 150. I wonder if a 150 fork set to 130 performs differently than a 130/140 fork set at 130?


    Bandit 29 with a 140 fork?-foxforks.jpg
    Last edited by TroyS600; 03-26-2013 at 11:32 AM.
    Bend, OR

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    570
    TroyS600 appears to be correct. I think these "Shuttle Bumpers" are a newer item from Fox, since our previous answer about travel adjust was a no go.

    I stand corrected!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    16
    Interesting. So does adding the shuttle bumper change the length of the fork?

    Regardless, now that I know I can order the fork with the frame and get the 130, I went ahead and called my shop (Mud Sweat and Gears by Edmonton), and they said they would call Transition and update my order to include the 130 fork instead of the 140 I originally spec'd. It's probably better that way rather than having me learn how to modify the 140 to work. I'd rather spend my time riding anyways.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,311
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyS600 View Post
    If i understand correctly, the new CTD fork can still be dropped from 140 to 130, but that's it, no lower.
    Nice work. I was just going to post all this info after I read Transition's response earlier on my phone. The CTD is definitely adjustable in travel, just not as extreme as before with regular spacers.

    Quote Originally Posted by DrCold View Post
    Interesting. So does adding the shuttle bumper change the length of the fork?

    Regardless, now that I know I can order the fork with the frame and get the 130, I went ahead and called my shop (Mud Sweat and Gears by Edmonton), and they said they would call Transition and update my order to include the 130 fork instead of the 140 I originally spec'd. It's probably better that way rather than having me learn how to modify the 140 to work. I'd rather spend my time riding anyways.
    In what regard will it change length of fork? Yes, a 140mm 34 will be having more stanchion showing than a 130mm 34 fork.

    If you're getting direct from Transition, be sure to request the black OE Floats. Those will match the matte black better and are quite rare in the wild.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    In what regard will it change length of fork? Yes, a 140mm 34 will be having more stanchion showing than a 130mm 34 fork.

    If you're getting direct from Transition, be sure to request the black OE Floats. Those will match the matte black better and are quite rare in the wild.
    Ok, that's what i thought. I just wasn't sure if maybe they where the same length, just the lower travel version didn't compress as far (all the way up to the crown for example). But because it does go all the way, it would then make sense it increases the length of the fork in turn affecting the geometry of the bike to be outside Transitions recommendations.

    In the end, i feel good going with the 130mm. This saves me from having to take apart the fork and replace parts to lower the travel when i get it. And i'm following Transitions recommendations for the right fork length and handling of the bike.

    Thanks everyone for the help with this!

    Now, someone go make my bike show up sooner.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    25
    Hello Transition,
    My new Bandit 29 frame is still 3 weeks away, Sadly not quite in time to get it all sorted for the next rd of the UK enduro series but can't wait anyway.
    I have got a 2012 140 Revelation RCT3 to put on the frame when it arrives which I was going to set at 130. Given they are a bit shorter than the Fox 34 130 would you still recommend setting it at 130 or will leaving it at 140 be OK?
    Thanks

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,311
    Revelation 140 a-2-c is 548mm

    Fox 34 140 a-2-c is 552.8mm

    Fox 34 130 a-2-c is 542.8mm

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    531
    Anyone keep their 34 140 at 140? Curious how much diff it would ride..
    2014 Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    iDream Images

Similar Threads

  1. Bandit 29 and 140 fork.
    By esku in forum Transition Bikes
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-16-2013, 12:15 PM
  2. My new to me Bandit 29
    By libretto in forum Transition Bikes
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-14-2013, 12:30 PM
  3. Bandit with DHX?
    By in the trees in forum Transition Bikes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-07-2012, 06:26 AM
  4. New fork for my Bandit
    By haakan in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-21-2012, 02:43 PM
  5. Bandit + fork
    By Wolfboy in forum Transition Bikes
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-30-2011, 07:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •