mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Bandit 27.5 what to upgrade?

Hey all

ive got a bandit 27.5 which I love but I've got around $500 (in uk pounds) to throw at it and I'm wondering where to put the cash.

current set up is

2014 frame m frame
    RS sector fork set at 150 partly to take the head angle down to 67.5 -(I've got a trans am and 67 seems a good angle on that for local riding)
    mavic cross ride wheelset
    50mm stem
    renthal fat bar lites
    slx groupset (2x10 I'm not that excited about converting to 1x yet)
    reverb

i really like the bike a lot, it's nimble but feels really planted going down hill and it climbs decently.

I'm 5'7 and 145 lbs ish and i do find that I have to run fairly low pressures in my shock (like 110) in order to get full travel out of the shock. My best guess is that's around 25-30% sag. Trouble is that climbing it seems to sit a long way into the travel and that can make the front end light. With more air in there it doesn't ever use all the travel.

im wondering where to look at putting my cash.

current thoughts are following. Options

db inline shock
    push tune the existing shock
    find a x fusion sweep / manitou mattoc / RS yari fork I can afford
    an Anglesey to slacken it out another .5
    offset bushings? Not really sure how that would affect things.

What do you think?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Ccdb inline, put it in my bandit and the thing climbs so well out of the saddle, since it's a single pivot I still use about 70% of the travel set at proper sag while climbing with the climb switch engaged but it's not a real lock out just changes the damping...and I never notice pedal bob at all, tire stays glued down so I assume it's from the small downs and bumps on the way to the top...also some good tires is a must needed upgrade always

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I sent my shock into Avalanche Suspension before I built up my Bandit 27.5, so I can't really compare it to stock tune. But I been very satisfied with the result. I've had a ccdb air on a different bike and while it was a good shock, it seemed like i was always fiddling with it to get that perfect setting. I may be in the minority but I've liked the options with the fox CTD. You have 5 different compression settings, of which I usually only use 3. So its kinda like here's your settings now deal with it! I've never felt like I was unable to find the right feel though. I can switch it on the fly. I always use full travel at 25% sag, but never feel hard bottom outs unless its my own fault with bad line choice. Pedal bob when standing out of the saddle has been my issue with this bike. Inline may have an edge there because you could tune in more low speed to help with that and not change high speed comp at the same time, which isn't the case with CTD. Suspension and tires are where I spend my money for upgrades first. I've taken the Bandit down some DH trails I take my patrol down and while its not as fast, the head angle at 68 has never ruined the ride.