Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bandit 27.5

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Bandit 27.5

I'm just expressing my need for some info on this critter. Everyday I log on to see if prices, kits and pics have been published and can't take it anymore Any more info available?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    RaceFace , Shimano kits, for 2 and 3, XX1 for the #1 just what I have seen, there will be solid info and pricing shortly.
    The Dropnzone
    Bellingham,Wa
    www.dropnzone.com
    1-888-95 Pin it

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    XX1, Pike and an Angleset would make this a perfect bike for me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    That's what I was thinking, but won't start with the angle set. Pike was suggested and I think it would be great but most of my rides are short with really steep climbing. My current Bandit is super fun but is the least adept climber I have. Salsa Mukluk outclimbs my legs and my Yelli Screamy with Talas 120/90 does awesome when lowered...although it drops the BB so can't leave it there in rocky spots. Any suggestions for an adjustable travel fork for the Bandit?

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    I'd agree, but I think there's always some trade offs with these things - the slacker and longer travel they are, the less capable climber it will be. I guess build it to what suits your trails.

If I don't buy mine complete, I'm pretty interested in a Manitou Mattoc.

App-a-LATCH-un
    Fifty-two, I mean fifty-four bicycles on the wall
    Ready to ride, ready to ride until the last of them falls

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    The spec listed on that page sound about right Chad_Money? I was really hoping that Transition would do a 150mm Pike option.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I always do different options so if you want a pike its no problem. Right now the first run is all sold through so I am booking for late december. Overseas will see product before the USA
    The Dropnzone
    Bellingham,Wa
    www.dropnzone.com
    1-888-95 Pin it

mtbr member
    Any thought on sizing for this bike? I tend to like smaller bikes, I'm 5'10" and currently run a bike with 571.5mm (a Commencal Meta 55) top tube length, Bandit M measures 576 and 604 for L.

Should I dare to go with a large? Maybe that is more within the recommendations, I like the bike I have but is it time for change?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    sounds like a medium to me, its a bit longer than your current bike and you sound comfortable on the smaller side anyways.
    The Dropnzone
    Bellingham,Wa
    www.dropnzone.com
    1-888-95 Pin it

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    Interested in your thoughts on sizing for those coming off of a 26" Bandit Chad - if a Large fits me nicely, should I stay with that?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I would , since you seem comfortable. Are you running the standard setup 60mm stem and so on?
    The Dropnzone
    Bellingham,Wa
    www.dropnzone.com
    1-888-95 Pin it

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    Yep, 60mm stem. 720mm bars. I will be keen to run something more like a 740mm on the Bandit 275, maybe even a 760.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Now I just have to decide between this oone and its wagon wheeled brother :/ hhhmmmmm tuff decisions

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    My build is going slow due to the fact that I couldn't ride it if it was complete. But It looks cool clamped in the stand. Large 27.5, short stem/wide bars, 1 x 11, Pike 160/130, hope hubs in Flow Ex wheels (unbelievably easy to set up tubeless, jeez) Stealth dropper and yes , Avid brakes. If the snow went away I would gather some trail bike motivation...
    I have a large Bandit 26 that may need to go?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    a pic of a custom build

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for the pic! You've finally settled my mind on blue or red. RED! looks so good with rockshox
    Last edited by Jeffinater224; 01-10-2014 at 10:10 AM.

aaarrrggghh!
    That thing looks fantastic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    size is L, fork a rev, weight around 13kilo

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Nice! We both know photos, unfortunately, don't do justice to the paint.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hey I was wondering from people who own these. I currently have a a old xc bike. But as I am coming off a moto background it's not near enough bike. I have test ridden a lot of bikes but as I live in Nebraska most the people want to wear spandex and ride hard tails so that's mostly what the shops carry. Any way does this bike still peddal pretty good? I will have to buy sight unseen and only will get to try the 29er version. I am just looking for a fun bike to pop off all the little options and roots and hit 3-4 drops. Thanks for any opinions!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Bandit 27.5-bandit1.jpgI'm one state west of you and have a nice Bandit 26 for sale. They are fun and will do exactly what you are looking for. Here's my 26. I'm a little worried that I won't like my new one as much but I don't have the suspension setup right yet. Here's my 27.5Bandit 27.5-bandit-27.5-1-12-14.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    That bike looks so sweet! Thanks for the response can't wait till I can order mine! Also what forks are those?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    fox float 140 RLC and Rock Shox Pike 160/130

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm ordering the xo1 build kit. Should I g ahead and get the 34 150mm fox float and x shock? Or just go with the 32 140mm travel?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Transition also has the RS Pike available. Either the 150 or the 160/130 2 position.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Does the 150 have anything like the ctd on the fox? It's not 2 position like the 160?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Open and locked. Honestly, I rarely select a thing but open or locked on my fox stuff. I do use both positions on my Talas.

Desert Seeker
    Does anyone know how large of a tire will fit in the rear triangle? Also, what size tires come with the complete build?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hi,

Do any of you have weights for completed bikes? I have an earlier Covert and would like a bike for hanging with my race oriented friends so wonder how a Bandit 27.5 would compare.

My earlier Covert is a medium and perfect. I'm 5'10" with more longer legs, shorter torso and find that medium to be perfect.

This bike is in my sights because I rented 29rs and liked them on fast trail rides but they were not as playful as my earlier Covert but I'd like a lighter bike too.

Thanks for any info.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    how do you guys think this will compare to the covert as an all around, descent oriented type bike? im looking for something to replace my v2 covert, and want to do a lot more enduro racing.

i love the covert for how playful it is, but never liked how it pedaled, and for how poorly it pedaled it didnt make up for it on the downhills, i demoed some bikes last year that climbed much better and still felt better on the downhills, they werent exactly lacking the fun department either, so after that i decided its time for a new bike.

I've got a big budget for this build, would like it to be around 4-5k when finished, but could go to 6k if i need. i was thinking 160mm fork, maybe an angleset. with my budget i could really splurge on a nice light wheelset, and maybe even bos suspension. would like to be under 28lbs.

its either that or something like a mach 6 carbon, with not quite as nice of a build.

do you think this could keep up with some of the longer travel, burlier enduro bikes? or is it maybe too trail oriented?

mtbr member
    May 2013

Bandit 27.5

I also have a v2 covert i also was not happy with the climbing performance of it. I always found it bobbing during pedaling, and i found the headangle a little steep, and the bottom tacket to high.

Then i stubled across push-tuning and offset bushings. These two measures completely changed the caracter of my covert.

The bushings lowered the bb by a cm and flattened the headangle by a degree. Now it feels planted and more stable on decents, but you can realy throw it around and it is still playful.

The push tuning made the shock more progressive and finally the propedal lever really makes a difference. No more pedalbob on the uphill.

I really have a new bike.

I did not try the bandid 27,5 but i also have a bandid29 from 2012( the one with more travel). But now the covert comes close in terms of uphill, but is more sturdy and i would take to the park anytime.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'm sure a 2.4 would fit the rear without issue. But haven't tried it.
    I haven't weighed my bike yet, sorry.
    I did get out on it yesterday and it was really positive. The Pike 160/130 is great and I'm super happy to have it. I used the 2 positions and the 130 didn't make the front end feel goofy even on flat sections of the climb and the front end never felt light during steeper spots. It wasn't excessively steep so that may change? I did pedal a pretty long section of steep asphalt and never even thought to lock the fork...I did lock the float ctd shock though. Pleased with that as well. I don't think 160 is too much for this bike so far. I have a terrible habit of pedal strikes on my Yelli and Bandit 26 v.1 but only tapped the pedals 2 times yesterday. For me, the BB being a touch higher is good. Excited for a little drier conditions to see what it is really all about.

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    Is anyone using the KS LEV Integra yet? Any idea if Transition have the new ones or not, I believe the old ones used to have issues with sticky cables and I'm not sure if the bend at the bottom of the Bandit seat tube is too tight for the LEV?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoka Hey View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bandit 27.5 1-12-14.jpg 
Views:	3376 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	861903
    Nice pedals man!

Quote Originally Posted by glesoine View Post
    Does anyone know how large of a tire will fit in the rear triangle?
    I don't imagine much has changed between the 26 and the 275 as far as tire clearance goes. I have run a Minion 2.5 in the rear of mine with no issues. I get a little buzz when I am pushing it hard but that is probably more due to so much flex in a big tire and wheelset flex too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Any new impressions using the pike 130/160? How is it climbing the steep stuff in 130? How does 160 feel on the downs? How's the pedaling platform in trail mode going uphill? Any pedal feedback as the suspension reacts to terrain? Have ya weighed it yet? Sorry for all the questions, just about to pull the trigger on a bike in the next couple of weeks and there is little to be read out there on the new 27.5 bandit. Thanks for your

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Was able to get the bike on dirt twice this week and it is snowing today. First ride was pretty moderate stuff with some dry wash riding with big rocks, sand and cobble. Did good. Yesterday was some of my trails that are pretty challenging...narrow, rocky steep. These trails are more about slow speed and control over fast and flowy. I was really surprised at the stuff I was clearing even after a long winter of little riding. I switched the fork to 130mm for a few steep climbs and it was so much better than my Bandit 26 with float 140 and external cup. Even at 160 it felt a lot less squirrely. There are quite a few creaks and pops coming from the bike and I can't stand the noise. I thought it was the xo1 cassette but maybe the frame bearings need extra grease like my old Bandit. Pedal bob seems a lot less noticeable and haven't really felt the need to use the pro pedal switch and I left the Pike in the plush mode. So far I am really happy with the bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm sure a 2.4 would fit the rear without issue. But haven't tried it.
    I haven't weighed my bike yet, sorry.
    Any word on weight or an approximation? I'm not looking to go weight weenie here but wondering if this will be a lighter bike than my older 140 mm Covert.

There are quite a few creaks and pops coming from the bike and I can't stand the noise.
    Did you sort out the noise? I've been looking at more sophisticated suspension designs and the reliability of my older Covert is keeping the single pivots in mind too.

It looks like their sizing has changed since my Covert that I think is v 1.5. My med is 23.5 top tube and it appears a med Bandit has shorter effective top tube.

Thanks for any updates and info.

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    Was able to get the bike on dirt twice this week and it is snowing today. First ride was pretty moderate stuff with some dry wash riding with big rocks, sand and cobble. Did good. Yesterday was some of my trails that are pretty challenging...narrow, rocky steep. These trails are more about slow speed and control over fast and flowy. I was really surprised at the stuff I was clearing even after a long winter of little riding. I switched the fork to 130mm for a few steep climbs and it was so much better than my Bandit 26 with float 140 and external cup. Even at 160 it felt a lot less squirrely. There are quite a few creaks and pops coming from the bike and I can't stand the noise. I thought it was the xo1 cassette but maybe the frame bearings need extra grease like my old Bandit. Pedal bob seems a lot less noticeable and haven't really felt the need to use the pro pedal switch and I left the Pike in the plush mode. So far I am really happy with the bike.
    Sorry if I have missed where you typed it, but which rear shock are you running Hoka Hey?

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    Finally, it's built!

Anyone have suspension setup tips for the Float X on the Bandit 275? I'm running 170psi and that still feels waaay too low.

mtbr member
    Sick bike man.
    The color in person is so awesome.
    I am just now building mine up.

SEI Racing

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    How are you getting on with the DBinline? I've been thinking about getting one for my Bandit 27.5.

mtbr member
    Wish I could tell you man. Still waiting on parts as it is a custom build. I will post up info as soon as I ride it though!
    SEI Racing

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    To keep you inspired with the build here's my custom build and in action at Tweedlove EWS.
    Bandit 27.5-imag0224.jpg
    Bandit 27.5-ews-day-1-stage-4.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Hey guys...what's the stand over height? I ordered a M frame with the 2 build a few days ago after a lot of waffling and research, and what scares me is I never got a number on the SOH. When I asked about it with reference to a M or L, the Transition guys just said that their SOH didn't vary much between frame sizes from S up to XL. No numbers online, and they didn't give me one.

I have a 26" RH Comp now in L, and the SOH is over 31", and it bugs me. I'm concerned I may have screwed up by going with the Transition over the Trance. Can anyone help put my mind at ease?

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy R View Post
    Sick bike man.
    The color in person is so awesome.
    I am just now building mine up.

Sweeeet! I'm wishing I went a DBinline. I might still swap it out. Smashed my knee on the CTD knob a heap already..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasevr4 View Post
    Sweeeet! I'm wishing I went a DBinline. I might still swap it out. Smashed my knee on the CTD knob a heap already..
    Well, it feels great on the push down test. Ha, total fail, my bandit is all the way built except I was out of shifter housing, and the shop has had it since Monday. I can't wait to ride it.
    How are you liking yours so far?
    SEI Racing

mtbr member
    Finally built and first ride today. Super fun bike.

SEI Racing

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    Killer build Jeremy! I love the NextSLs. It's always stupid things like housing that hold up a build hey!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy R View Post
    How are you liking yours so far?
    It's transformed a bit since I built it. The suspension has smoothed out a bit. Still a bit of bob on the rear (Float X), but I think that is exaggerated by how high the Pike stays in it's travel. I'll likely end up running closer to 20% sag in the shock I think. That said, it is light years ahead of my old RP2 or whatever was on my Bandit 26.

Finally have High Roller II's on it too. Perfect for Whistler!

I'm not stoked on X01. I consider myself a fairly handy person (been working on bikes a long time) but there's loads of creaking that comes under torque when climbing. I've had it to 3 other mechanics in town (Whistler is owned by SRAM last time I checked too) and it's still not sorted. Word is that it's not a particularly silent drivetrain...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Hi Jeremy R,
    Can you share us your feeling of using CCDB Inline shock on Bandit?
    I am thinking to switch from a Float CTD to Inline also.
    Thank you
    Last edited by vadimn; 09-30-2014 at 09:57 PM.

aaarrrggghh!
    For what it is worth I run the Float X on my Bandit 27.5 and I think it makes the bike feel pretty incredible. It just seems to eat up the small bumps and is very controlled on the larger hits too. I have no experience with the Cane Creek shock but I can speak very highly of the Float X as another option.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast