Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Bandit 27.5

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    BCF, how do you like the shock after service from Push? Do you get the factory rebuild service?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gibsonlespaulspecial View Post
    BCF, how do you like the shock after service from Push? Do you get the factory rebuild service?
    Yes I got factory rebuild and shock body.
    I love it am able to run it in the open position. I will say that I wasnt miserable with the stock ctd I just couldn't get it just right. So while I think getting it pushed is well worth the money just don't expect night and day differences. I also had my fork done at the same time Which I would say has a more noticeable effect due to control over lsc and hsc.

I highly suggest push.

Zero Miles from Myself
    Well I'm a little disappointed with the team at Transition. To read their recent article on Pike Bike they say they are all about customer care. I wrote them Wed at around 1pm est, and have not heard a word yet about the Fox shock.

Did some more testing. Definitely screwed up. Set the sag perfectly to 15% in descend mode. Get off switch to climb and get back on.... It only sags a 1/16 to 1/8" less. Go ride down my street going the same route twice... Threw a ditch and up over a culvert and back into that ditch.... Same speed, same gear, no brakes....
    - in descend shock moved 1 1/4"
    - in climb it moved 1 1/8"

I'd say it's not working.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Transition's sales have exploded over the past couple years so maybe they're having trouble keeping up. I had to email them twice to ask for a simple washer at the main bearing. It was frustrating but they ended up sending me not just the washer but the main axle as well so I forgave them.

I don't think the ctd switch should affect sag. My understanding is that ctd affects the low speed compression circuit. For example, if I pedal down the street and look at what the shock is doing in descend mode, then flick it to climb, I definitely notice less pedal bob. The ditch and culvert may be hitting the high speed compression circuit, so the ctd position would be irrelevant.

Zero Miles from Myself
    I don't think the ctd switch should affect sag.
    But it must do something ... or they would not tell you to set sag while in descend mode.

For example, if I pedal down the street and look at what the shock is doing in descend mode, then flick it to climb, I definitely notice less pedal bob. The ditch and culvert may be hitting the high speed compression circuit, so the ctd position would be irrelevant.
    I agree ... but this is not happening to me. I AM !! noticing pedal bob in any mode and going thru the full travel in any mode while riding a normal section of trail XC style. There seems to be no difference at all in C, T, and D

I may call them. But in the case of a new bike that is suppose to carry the full factory bike warranty, who warrants the shock ... Fox or Transition?

I guess I'll write Fox too and see what they say about the CTD

Zero Miles from Myself
    From Avalanche Suspension

The problem is because it is a couple of years old, more like 3 years since it was assembled, the nitrogen charge has leaked out, so the boost valve cannot function properly, it depends on this pressure to make CTD work. We also focus od descending with our tunes and modifications, we can tune for pedaling but most want a combination of pedaling/descending compromise. I would recommend you have it serviced by a Fox dealer to keep the boost valve functionality.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mrm1 View Post
    But it must do something ... or they would not tell you to set sag while in descend mode.

I agree ... but this is not happening to me. I AM !! noticing pedal bob in any mode and going thru the full travel in any mode while riding a normal section of trail XC style. There seems to be no difference at all in C, T, and D

I may call them. But in the case of a new bike that is suppose to carry the full factory bike warranty, who warrants the shock ... Fox or Transition?

I guess I'll write Fox too and see what they say about the CTD
    I have a Scout and my Monarch shock ha a similar issue. I worked with Sram to get it fixed for free. You should likely work with Fox to fix this. I also had to warranty my KS Lev seat post twice, again, I sent it to the manufacture KS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I noticed a bandit for sale on pinkbike that had a coil shock.

Was wondering if anyone here has tried a coil.

Zero Miles from Myself
    Heard back from Transition Bikes over the weekend. As expected the warranty will come from Fox. But what i didn't expect was their response...

We only warranty our own bike specific parts, and never spec'd our bikes with Fox, (Pricepoint is an aftermarket resource that has purchased our frames and builds them up with different parts) so you'd need to get in touch with their warranty department if you think the product is defected.
    While I understand Price Point did do those kinds of things ... My understanding was that the Fox CTD was OEM on the Bike. And if you Google search for a 2014 Transition Bandit you will see that the Fox Float CTD looks to be pretty standard equipment. My understanding was that it was originally speced with the Fox Float CTD. Not that I believe Transition should warrant the Fox product (how could they), but they are saying they never put Fox shocks on the Bike to start with. What was the original shock? Can anyone clear this up?

2014 Transition Bandit from VitalMTB

Here's a frame fresh out of the box in 2013 ... Looks like a Fox to me
    Bandit

I have written Transition and asked what they actually did spec the bike with in 2014 ... but at this point starting to feel like from their response they are putting me in a "none customer" status. I realize this was a close out. But it's still a new Transition Bike.

Cannonball!
    CTD standard, Float X upgrade.

Zero Miles from Myself
    Oops ... Ok ... Thanks for Clearing that up Transition Bikes. They wrote me back and said ...

Sorry about the mistake- your message was misread and we thought it was a newer 2016 model. Our Giddy Up bikes were always spec'd with Rockshox in the rear. The 2014 Bandit 27.5 and 29 were both spec'd with the Fox CTD. -TBC
    Man I love this bike. I think Fox is going to warrant the shock. Will be even better once the platform gets straightened out.

Zero Miles from Myself
    Fox CTD is back from Fox warranty and Now works flawlessly in all 3 modes and the 3 settings in trail. Noticeable suspension differences in each.... less peddle Bob, and nearly locked out in climb. Plus now to achieve proper sag is taking 190 lbs of air (as it should) compared to the 235 lbs it was taking b4. Can't wait to get on it and really see what this bike is capable of.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Good to hear, sounds like I should have fox do a rebuild of my shock too.

Zero Miles from Myself
    Got the Bandit Jun 2016. Fox was new. All 3 settings were the same. Peddle bob was bad. Took Mucho air to achieve proper sag.

Fox Warranty shock repair: Replaced Boost Valve. Installed stiffer spring for bob. Turn around time was 8 days.

Result: Transformational !! Now the new bike ... rides like a new bike

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    A bit late to the party here but I just built one up for my teenage son. Got the frame second hand for cheap and put it together with a mix of stuff from his old bike, the shed, stuff from classifieds and some new bits. I haven't ridden it properly yet but initial tests feel very promising.

-2 degree slackset, Sweep @ 150 mm, Monarch RC3 Plus Debonair, Brand-X dropper, Ryde Trace Enduro rims on Hope Pro2 hubs, 1x10 drivetrain. 780 mm Superstar carbon riser and 50 mm stem.

Bandit 27.5-bandit1.jpg

Bandit 27.5-bandit2.jpg

Bandit 27.5-bandit3.jpg

Front wheel is going back to the LBS for rebuild as they managed to turn the asymmetric rim the wrong way

Cheers from Sweden
    /Johan

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    That bike is going to shred. I had the blue bandit, and now have a 2015 limeade Scout, and a 2016 carbon Partol in Build 1 (Pinkbike BOTY).

The crazy part is, I still have a few Strava PR's that I got on my Bandit. :-) It pedals very well, and it was surprisingly stable at speed and over chunck with the 1.5* angleset that I had in mine.

That blue is one of my favorite colors out there, and I actually miss the Bandit.

The one thing that really bothered me about that bike is how low it rode in the travel with the stock Fox CTD shock. You may not have that issue with the Monarch RC3 Plus. I fought that like crazy, until I finally gave up and sent it to Suspension Experts for a PUSH tune. It came back, and it was like a different bike. They upped the progression, added some bottom out protection, and it made it like a different bike. So....just keep that in mind if your son finds himself pedal striking like crazy and difficult to ride over obstacles. Mine was so bad that at times I struck my outside pedal on the ground when I had it lowered going around corners, and that was the last straw on finding a remedy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by NWAtrailyguy View Post
    That bike is going to shred. I had the blue bandit, and now have a 2015 limeade Scout, and a 2016 carbon Partol in Build 1 (Pinkbike BOTY).

The crazy part is, I still have a few Strava PR's that I got on my Bandit. :-) It pedals very well, and it was surprisingly stable at speed and over chunck with the 1.5* angleset that I had in mine.

That blue is one of my favorite colors out there, and I actually miss the Bandit.

The one thing that really bothered me about that bike is how low it rode in the travel with the stock Fox CTD shock. You may not have that issue with the Monarch RC3 Plus. I fought that like crazy, until I finally gave up and sent it to Suspension Experts for a PUSH tune. It came back, and it was like a different bike. They upped the progression, added some bottom out protection, and it made it like a different bike. So....just keep that in mind if your son finds himself pedal striking like crazy and difficult to ride over obstacles. Mine was so bad that at times I struck my outside pedal on the ground when I had it lowered going around corners, and that was the last straw on finding a remedy.
    I second what he said.

I'm still on my bandit with a pushed ctd and often wonder while riding how much better the scout could really be.

Care to elaborate on the difference between the bandit and scout? Also the scout and patrol?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks for the cheers and input guys. Sounds very promising.

I'll keep an eye on ride height. If the RC3 is too linear I might test do a swap with the McLeod from my bike.

/Johan

Zero Miles from Myself
    I love mine. Fox did some tuning on the CTD when I sent it in. Made a big diff. But I am actually here today skimming thru the thread looking for a different shock. Strongly considering the CC DB inline for cost to performance balance.

Any idea what the shock size is? I think it is a 7.5" x 2" (is that the same as a 190/50??) And if I got the Inline, at that size would I need any other parts or would the stock CCDB inline just bolt right on?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345