mtbr member
    Aug 2008

B29 fit/geometry issue

I've had my B29 for about two months now and as much as I want to love the bike I'm finding myself wishing it was a bit longer and/or lower. I'm 6'0" tall with a 34" inseam and riding a large frame. I'm coming off a Norco Shinobi (also an AM 29er) that felt spot-on in terms of geometry. Comparing the two bikes, the Norco's theoretical top tube was 33mm longer (1 5/16") than that of the B29.

On the B29 I feel as though my center of gravity is quite high and my weight too far forward, resulting in frequent almost-going-over-the-bars scenarios. I've swapped the 70mm stem for a 90mm and that seems to have helped a bit but I'm wondering whether it makes sense to get an even longer stem and perhaps a setback seatpost. Right now I've got a Reverb and was hoping to keep it on the bike, and my saddle is as far back on the post as it could be. I don't want to completely screw the intended geometry of the bike (freakishly long stem and setback post) just to feel comfortable on the bike. From what I've read on here Transition designed the L frame around a 6' tall rider so it *should* be spot-on for me but doesn't feel that way.

Is this just a matter of riding the bike more and adapting my riding style to the bike's geometry or could it just be poor rider/frame fit?

For what it's worth another guy I know also feels the same way about his B29 (but he's 6'3" riding a Large, whereas I think he should've picked up an XL). He put a 130mm stem on his along with a setback post and still getting used to it..
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hmm weird. I have medium and im 5'7, and i run very short stem at 50mm and seat pretty much in normal spot and i find the bike nearly impossible to OTB, pulled off really bad drops and the bike saved my arse all the time.

Question here is, how is your fork sag and compression set up, low pressures and low compression might give too much sag?