mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Anyone try the Bandit 29 AND the Bandit 26?

I know threads like this come up a lot, hope everyone doesn't mind.

I'm currently looking to get a new bike in the very near future. Had an issue with my 2011 Giant Reign, got it warrantied, and sold it. To be honest, I loved how it rode, but my last experience left me with a bad taste in my mouth. I figure I'd try out Transition as it's always nice to support other riders and with single pivot.. although it may not be up to today's tech, it keeps it simple and less to go wrong/worry about.

This will likely be my only bike for sometime. Work and school force me to keep my spending to a minimum. In my area (Northern California), all the riding consists of a substantial amount of climbing to get to your descents. Most of the stuff I like to ride are fairly smooth/flowy single track with berms everywhere, though, there are several gnarlier sections within the trails, but most primarily consist of smooth flow. Long days out in the saddle are what I prefer.

I've only owned 26" bikes and am a fairly short rider @ 5'8". I've demoed a Tallboy and actually enjoyed it a lot, but it sometimes hard to tell if it's just all the marketing hype getting to me. I know that the new slacker, 130mmish 29ers are a whole different animal. The one thing I've noticed when riding with my friends with 29ers is that they're rolling through some stuff that I just can't keep up on. I would be pedaling my ass off and they'd be coasting having some fun.

I'm really just curious to hear if anyone has experience with both, and what you think? 29ers are everywhere that I look that I kind of want to be done and grab the Bandit 29er. Curious to hear your thoughts!

mtbr member
    I tried a bandit 26 before I bought the 29, had a giant trance at the time and the bandit 26ers simple suspension design was much better than maestro suspension for pedal efficiency.

When I started riding the 29 I didn't really notice speed or momentum improvements but when I was behind other riders I could be like 10 meters behind and then catch up to them in just a few seconds on the trails were momentum counts, that's not really facts though.

All the guys who bought medium size bandit 29 seem to be liking them too.
    Pivot mach 6!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Sounds good, Joel.

I used to have a Trance as well. Glad to know they both pedal well. Got another chance to ride a Tallboy today and think I'm liking the big wheels..

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I don't really have trail experience with the 26" Bandit, but I've ridden both (the 29 obviously more, since I own it). I do know enough to say that despite sharing the same name, they don't feel remotely like the same bike. The wheel size is not a subtle difference, for sure.

I think they are both great bikes, the 29 version is just that much more versatile in my view though. It rolls out steep sections smoother than my Bottlerocket did, even though the BR had a 1.5 degree slacker front end and 20mm more travel. As everyone knows, it carries speed through the rough like crazy. And it climbs technical stuff like nothing, thanks to the large BB drop compared to a 26er.

Its shortcomings would be tight situations and smooth climbs I guess, but I haven't had any troubles there and it's a small price to pay. The 26er felt almost like a BMX bike coming off the 29er which says good things for its playfulness, but I still feel like I can style the Bandit 29 just fine (compared to a 26 anyway - truth is I can't style either that well).

I'm only a half inch taller than you so this isn't tall-guy feedback.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Reviewed the Bandit for MTBR (see the Pro Reviews). Will be reviewing the Bandit 29er but can't see it being finished till say mid June. I'll post in this thread with impressions when I start.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/