mtbr member
    Oct 2008

anyone tried a shorter i2i/stroke shock on a blindside?

anyone tried a shorter i2i/stroke shock on a blindside?

im trying to get the bike slacker and im only left with two options now..
    a - 2 degree socom cups from k9
    b - shorter i2i/stroke shock

which one would u guys recon be better?

Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest
    I'm thinking of using the 1deg cups http://www.readytoridecycles.co.uk/i...cups-172-p.asp They're not going to be exactally 1deg on the BS, but the a to c on the new boxxers is so low it makes my BS like 66deg HTA
    "It sucks because that's what Boxxers of that generation were good at." -- XSL_WiLL

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    yea these were the ones i was thinking about
    but the -1.5 inch ones fit better

im putting this on a 09 boxxer race

Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest
    Quote Originally Posted by AzN_devil
    yea these were the ones i was thinking about
    but the -1.5 inch ones fit better

im putting this on a 09 boxxer race
    you know you're correct, and I think I'd want the 1.5* as I'm rocking a 66* HTA with the crowns pushed all the way out.
    "It sucks because that's what Boxxers of that generation were good at." -- XSL_WiLL

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    did the a2c for '10 boxxers decrease or something?

i measured my head angle on my bike with my friends iphone and i got 65 degrees sitting on my bike

setup:
    09 boxxer with flat crown pushed down 3/4" from the top
    cane creek zero stack 1.5 to 1 1/8 headset

i was thinking which headset would fit for these cups anyways....it said cane creek is2 and similar but according to cane creek's site the is2 is for 1inch steer tubes
    http://www.canecreek.com/component-h...s?product=IS-2

or am i reading it wrong?

Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest
    did the a2c for '10 boxxers decrease or something?

i measured my head angle on my bike with my friends iphone and i got 65 degrees sitting on my bike

setup:
    09 boxxer with flat crown pushed down 3/4" from the top
    cane creek zero stack 1.5 to 1 1/8 headset

i was thinking which headset would fit for these cups anyways....it said cane creek is2 and similar but according to cane creek's site the is2 is for 1inch steer tubes
    http://www.canecreek.com/component-h...s?product=IS-2

or am i reading it wrong?

Not sure on the 09 to 10 a to c, but I do know that the 10 is a about full inch shorter than what trans measured their geo with.

as far as the bearings go, you are def going to want something that is 1-1/8". ready-to-ride says its compatable with the E-13 reducer cups... thats a pretty common setup. Go-ride will be able to set you up with the correct bearings or at least point you in the right direction (I'm running the E-13 from them and they helped me pick out the bearings).

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    hmm intersting...i didnt measure my friend's '10 boxxer wc but it did feel like the a2c is shorter when i tried it, he had a '09 boxxer wc on loan while waiting for the '10

do you have the cups on your bike already or did you just order them and asked what fits?

i had a e13 reducer headset before but it died within a month so i threw it out and put the cane creek on...do you know if the bearings the same size?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i have a buddy that has an 8.5x2.5 on his BS and its not bad at all drops the BB a little but gives a much slacker angle to the front end.
    Transition Bikes 2008

Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest
    hmm intersting...i didnt measure my friend's '10 boxxer wc but it did feel like the a2c is shorter when i tried it, he had a '09 boxxer wc on loan while waiting for the '10

do you have the cups on your bike already or did you just order them and asked what fits?

i had a e13 reducer headset before but it died within a month so i threw it out and put the cane creek on...do you know if the bearings the same size?

I've got the e13 cups on there now, which adds to the low a2c height issue. and what ever bearings you had in your e13 will work in the "new" cups, but I'm not sure if just any Cane Creek bearings will fit

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll_Jockey
    I've got the e13 cups on there now, which adds to the low a2c height issue. and what ever bearings you had in your e13 will work in the "new" cups, but I'm not sure if just any Cane Creek bearings will fit
    If your e-13 cups are the older ones without the grooves for bearing removal, good luck getting the bearings out intact.

CC bearings work. In fact, the 36/45 degree standard the e-13 and RTR cups use is often called the Cane Creek standard. I used an IS2 in my e-13 cups, and dropped the bearings from an IS8 in when I switched to the RTR cups.

Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest
    HAB did you get your cups, and get them installed? How was everything, quality and fit?

mtbr member
    Yeah, got 'em. They seem well made, everything assembled fine. Getting the cups aligned right takes some care, but nothing difficult. Slipped in a couple runs this morning, still playing with fork and bar height, but the initial impression seems to be positive.

Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest
    for anyone else with questions on fit, this was an email from the guys at RTR. My question was can I use the 1deg "Sunday" cups in the blindside...

Sorry for the late reply, the 5mm tolerance is a conservative measurement to ensure these are not fitted to headtubes that are exessively different to the intended.

You would be fitting them to a headtube 7mm longer, that is only 3.5mm from the centre of the headtube meaning misalignment would be less than 0.4 of a degree and mm - i couldnt see this being a problem with regard to fitment or operation, the onl potential issue would be slightly accelerated bearing wear.

Ideally you would fit the 1.5deg cups but the 1.0deg sunday cups should be just fine - we have fitted cups to one of our own bike that are 14mm different and thus far no problems at all.

Anymore Q's just get in touch.

Regards, Rick

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    k thx all for answering my questions
    im gonna order these babies soon (after i get my vivid to tune c, waiting for parts to come online)