Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Anyone ride the new 27.5 Trans Am??

Im in the market for the new Trans Am and curious to see if anyone has rode/owns one. Pictures are always welcome! I have all the parts to do a frame up build and would like to hear a ride report. My mine concern is my size choice, Im 6'0" and feel like based off the geo i fall somewhere in between the large and medium frames (ETT main consideration). If you rode one what is your height and what size did you ride? How did it feel? Any info is appreciated!

mtbr member
    Sorry, no ride to report on just yet, but I am a soon to be owner. I have a medium Bermuda Blue on order. I was told 2-3 weeks about two week ago now. From my understanding, this is the first shipment so I don't think you'll hear much till they come in.

To answer your other question, I'm 5'8" and I plan on running a short 50mm stem and 730mm bars on the medium.

What fork do you have picked out h20-50?
    The cake is a lie.

stillanoob
    Dec 2011
    I'm planning on ordering a medium, and I'm 5'8" as well.

I'm thinking of the X-Fusion sweep as my fork.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Im thinking a large with a 35mm stem ought to work. Im comparing the geo to my current Santa Cruz TRc and that ought to get me close.

Im looking at putting the new Pike on it, couple that with some Hans Dampf 2.35 tires and this bike is going to be an absolute fuggin blast!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Post some photos when you get it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    your frame (medium blue ) has been available for quite awhile, no need to wait
    The Dropnzone
    Bellingham,Wa
    www.dropnzone.com
    1-888-95 Pin it

The White Jeff W

Re: Anyone ride the new 27.5 Trans Am??

I converted my Canfield Yelli Screamy to 650b and it shreds. The Trans Am geo is very close so it should be a very fun bike. I'm gonna go out on a limb here & predict that you'll love it.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Anyone have any comments on the 4130 DB chromoly tubeset? I wonder how it compares in feel to Reynolds or Trutemper. I'm looking for a lively steel feel, not dead and heavy like some of the cheaper steel frames I have tried.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Anyone have any comments on the 4130 DB chromoly tubeset? I wonder how it compares in feel to Reynolds or Trutemper. I'm looking for a lively steel feel, not dead and heavy like some of the cheaper steel frames I have tried.
    Best answer I could find from an old thread;

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Reynolds has not adapted the stock size offering of 853. They will custom draw it if you order enough tubes, as Niner has.

What DFL is bringing up is the "how you use it" factor. A 4130 frame and a 853 frame with identical design spec (frame geometry and tubing sizes) will weigh the same and ride the same. The advantage of 853 is it offers the possibility of using thinner wall (lighter) tubes while maintaining strength. The trade off is higher cost and increased flex (or "better" ride quality). The latter largely depends on rider weight and riding style.

This is without even bringing in basic fit and geometry/handling philosophy factors. If one design worked for every rider there would be no need for more than one bike company.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Thanks kubikeman. I know shiggy knows his stuff, but some of what he is saying doesn't make sense to me. for example:

A 4130 frame and a 853 frame with identical design spec (frame geometry and tubing sizes) will weigh the same and ride the same.
    He later says the walls will be thinner and the tubes will flex more, so the two frames would NOT weigh the same nor would they ride the same.

There are many varieties of chromo tubing. I wouldn't be surprised if there is generic heat treated double butted chromo that rivals some of the high end brand name stuff. There is also some heavy lead pipe out there.

I'm just curious if anyone who is familiar with steel bike feel can comment on the ride of the Trans Am frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    there is also some heavy lead pipe out there.
    dn6? :-p

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ratherbeintobago View Post
    I don't know, is it? I was looking at some On One bikes with their DN6 tubing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ratherbeintobago View Post
    I found this post from 2006 where an On-One guy claims that the DN6 tubing is the same as Reynolds 520:

Quote Originally Posted by brant View Post
    Our tubing comes from a company called Founderland in Taichung, Taiwan. Off the same lines, the same material, the same dies, everything, Reynolds have Founderland put the same tubing into boxes with "Reynolds 520" on it.

Surly use the same tube company for their tubing, but their frames are built at another company from ours - the one we used to use, and moved for purely business (not quality) reasons.

Tange Prestige is the higher spec of the tubes, but there's more to a frame than the metallurgy of the material used.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    an On-One guy
    The On-One guy, you mean?

Being fair about it, DN6 isn't that heavy, and a 29er Inbred frame weighs less than a 29er TransAm. They just have a reputation for being very heavy...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    My TA29 starts to be compliant at mid speed. It's much nicer ride that my old blue pig but it is a 29r and I'm a bit fatter now, by 25 pounds.

Either way, it doesn't feel dead to me but I've not got a lot to compare it to. Hope this helps a bit.

mtbr member
    Finally shipped! Should be here next week. The parts I've acquired (new and old) match the top build almost to the letter. Only major decision left is the fork.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    I called the only 2 Transition dealers in Denver/Boulder, and neither one stocks the Trans Am.
    I would have liked to put a leg over one.

stillanoob
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kubikeman View Post
    The parts I've acquired (new and old) match the top build almost to the letter. Only major decision left is the fork.
    What headset are you going to be running?
    I'm kinda confused with the whole 44mm tube as the only headset that I could find is the CK inset 7 that'll fit a tapered fork.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by bongski View Post
    What headset are you going to be running?
    I'm kinda confused with the whole 44mm tube as the only headset that I could find is the CK inset 7 that'll fit a tapered fork.
    Came Creek 110.

Edit: I'm not sure which one to get for running a straight 1 1/8th fork. I'm sure Cane Creek has something.

Edit again: I looked into it a bit more. You can run the Chris King InSet 1 if you want a low stack height and plan on running 1 1/8 fork only. If you want to plan for a future upgrade, you can get the InSet 7 with an external lower cup and just change out the crown race on your fork. The latter is the better option IMO because you can run what you have now and upgrade to something tapered down the line. Then all you'll have to do is get a new crown race (much cheaper than a new lower cup).

I'm pretty sure Cane Creek has the same set up with both their 110 and 40 series. I'm partial to the 110 because it's a work of art and CC has been good to me customer service wise. I think CK is another no-brainer option, I just don't have any personal experience with their products.
    Last edited by kubikeman; 01-09-2014 at 09:24 AM.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Anyone ride the new 27.5 Trans Am??-image.jpg

A bit lost for words after riding this!
    Had a lot of expectations for this bike and it has lived up to and exceeded my expectations!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Razzer View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	2217 
Size:	254.6 KB 
ID:	862813

A bit lost for words after riding this!
    Had a lot of expectations for this bike and it has lived up to and exceeded my expectations!
    I'm picking my frame up Saturday! I can't wait. Is that a Pike or a Rev?

Edit: Clicked on the picture and answered my own question. Pike. I'm still torn between a Pike or a Rev.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    You have got to go pike it's the only fork worth having at the moment! I went for the 150mm ones, but you can lower them to 140mm. Running mine at about 30% sag with a spacer in the air chamber so it ramps up a bit. With the 150 fork sagged its probably a similar ride hight.

mtbr member

Went with an X-Fusion Sweep. Ordered it today. It got a pretty good write up in the Bible of Bikes issue of Bike. For the price I figured I'd give it a go.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kubikeman View Post
    Went with an X-Fusion Sweep. Ordered it today. It got a pretty good write up in the Bible of Bikes issue of Bike. For the price I figured I'd give it a go.
    Who did you order with? Im trying to buy the frame only thorugh my local shop to support them but they said early January, now they are saying that Transition says early february for the blue frames. Ive got all my parts with the exception of a headset, still undecided on that but i just want to put money on a frame already!

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by h20-50 View Post
    Who did you order with? Im trying to buy the frame only thorugh my local shop to support them but they said early January, now they are saying that Transition says early february for the blue frames. Ive got all my parts with the exception of a headset, still undecided on that but i just want to put money on a frame already!
    Ordered from my LBS. I was lucky. They called Transition and an order for a medium frame was cancelled, so I got it instead. Otherwise I would have been waiting too.
    The cake is a lie.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast