mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Anyone 5'6 or 5'7 on a transAm 29?

How do you find it?

what size are you on?

i'm musing changing my cotic soul 26 for a transam 29. I'd previously written off 29ers for people my size but just borrowed a slightly too big trek stache and was blown away by the grip and rollover even with an imperfect set up and cheap recon fork.

nothing near me is that twisty or gnar and I have a bandit 275 (SUCH a fun bike) for days out.

its so often muddy in the winter in the UK that hardtails are still worth having.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceepers View Post
    How do you find it?

what size are you on?

i'm musing changing my cotic soul 26 for a transam 29. I'd previously written off 29ers for people my size but just borrowed a slightly too big trek stache and was blown away by the grip and rollover even with an imperfect set up and cheap recon fork.

nothing near me is that twisty or gnar and I have a bandit 275 (SUCH a fun bike) for days out.

its so often muddy in the winter in the UK that hardtails are still worth having.
    I am 5'8" and I ride a Med TransAm 29'r, I don't feel like its too big. It rides and handles great. I really don't think my height is what hinders me on the TransAm, its my cardio Lol.
    2007'ish Heckler and 2006 Chameleon
    If anyone needs the help of a prototype/custom machinist let me know.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by keith13 View Post
    I am 5'8" and I ride a Med TransAm 29'r, I don't feel like its too big. It rides and handles great. I really don't think my height is what hinders me on the TransAm, its my cardio Lol.
    what size stem are you running?

my medium bandit 275 feels spot on with a 50

stillanoob
    Dec 2011
    5'8" here with a medium.
    70mm stem with a 740mm flat bar.
    Sometimes feels a little long when climbing seated, but feels great on the descent.

Rocks belong
    X-post from this thread (post #146) :2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5

Maybe someone here can chime in?

"Can I ask a question of those that have actually been able to throw a leg over a 2015 TA29? (I cannot find a single one to even sit on).

Do y'all find the front end high? The stack on the TA29 is 641-646 mm, which is really tall. I would imagine it would feel really tall for those on small or medium frames.

My complaint with long travel 29ers is how high the front ends are. For comparison, the stack on a large Specialized Enduro 29er is 641mm and it has 160mm 29er fork! I demo'd one of those and didn't like feeling 'perched' up that high.

I like a low, aggressive riding position, and I have short legs, so I usually end up slamming my stem against the headset and am now really starting to 2nd guess my decision to pre-order a TransAM 29 frame. My current 29er HT (DB Mason) has a 130 F34 and a stack of ~622mm. So a TA 29 with a 120-130 fork will be an inch higher in the front end.

Again, a demo isn't an option as no one has a TA anywhere. I'm about ready to cancel my order :-/"
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bongski View Post
    5'8" here with a medium.
    70mm stem with a 740mm flat bar.
    Sometimes feels a little long when climbing seated, but feels great on the descent.
    That sounds promising, the reach on the med transam frame is the same as the bandit but the effective top tube is longer so descending it should feel a similar position with a 50 stem i think.

The stache i rode has the same ett and it felt ok for seated climbing although it was running a 60mm stem and three spacers - i ride a cx bike lots and it was nowhere near as stretched as that!

mtbr member
    Old post, but my input may be useful to others.

I'm 5'6" on a bad day and 5'7" on a good day. I have a size Small 2015 TransAM with a 130mm Revelation 29" fork. Currently the there's little clearance for my junk, but the feel of the bike while riding is a very good fit.

As for the stack, I'm fine with it considering my FS is a 2007 Giant Reign with 160mm in the front.