mtbr member
    Mar 2007

2018 Smuggler Tire Clearance

I opted out of the 2017 smuggler due to tire clearance for big 29 tires. Any shots or knowledge if the 2018 will fit 2.6" tires?

mtbr member
    That is the question, isn't it?

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I asked about 27.5+ tires

will the 2018 Smuggler take 27.5+ tires? and got this reponse

It will not, sorry.

TRANSITIONBIKES
    TRANSITION BICYCLE COMPANY | ANVL COMPONENTS
    1600 Carolina St. Bellingham, WA 98229 | 360.366.4960

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    My understanding is, 2018 is same as 2016-17 clearance. Although ive seen one online retailer list frame to fit 2.5 tire.

But then again I can fit a 2.5 on my 2017 model also. But almost no clearance.

Having boost on new model might give a little more room. But highly doubt you will fit a 2.6.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    2.3 maxxis minion fits with mud clearance, 2.5 is going to buzz the chainstays and have no clearance.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bbunnys View Post
    My understanding is, 2018 is same as 2016-17 clearance. Although ive seen one online retailer list frame to fit 2.5 tire.

But then again I can fit a 2.5 on my 2017 model also. But almost no clearance.

Having boost on new model might give a little more room. But highly doubt you will fit a 2.6.

I asked on their Facebook page a few weeks ago and they said it is improved. Its a whole new rear triangle so I would be surprised i they didnt address it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Hey guys & gals,

2018 rear triangle tire clearance is improved from 15-17 models. All models will fit a 2.5 tire with reasonable clearance (more than the previous bikes with 2.3's). Beyond that the user will need to determine what is acceptable or not.

It will likely depend on how badly you want to run larger than 2.5 tires .

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Bikes View Post
    Hey guys & gals,

2018 rear triangle tire clearance is improved from 15-17 models. All models will fit a 2.5 tire with reasonable clearance (more than the previous bikes with 2.3's). Beyond that the user will need to determine what is acceptable or not.

It will likely depend on how badly you want to run larger than 2.5 tires .

Cheers!
    Thanks for clarifying... now I want to upgrade my 2017 bike :-)

I presume on a wider 30-35mm internal rim is also going to clear fine. Interesting if the new 29x2.6 DHF tires will work when released in 29 version.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I really appreciate the Transition response, but find that the chainstay length is the deciding factor. Both of my bikes, one a 2010 and the other a 2017 could fit the 2.6 width, but not the tallness/height. I look forward to bringing my WT tire down and trying it out on a frame before buying!

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I have the bike on order. The LBS said they called Transition and were told that the fork will fit a 2.6", and the rear triangle will fit a 2.4". Both without issue.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leakslikasieve View Post
    I have the bike on order. The LBS said they called Transition and were told that the fork will fit a 2.6", and the rear triangle will fit a 2.4". Both without issue.
    Interesting. See above, about 3 posts, where Transition said 2.5 for the rear. Not sure what your bike shop is asking or hearing. They told me the same thing (2.5") when I was at Transition the other day.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Interesting. See above, about 3 posts, where Transition said 2.5 for the rear. Not sure what your bike shop is asking or hearing. They told me the same thing (2.5") when I was at Transition the other day.
    Hey, I'm good with a bit more clearance. No issue for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Well, talking about 0.1Ē split between right and left... probably there is a lot more variance between brands than say the jump from a Maxxis 2.4 to a Maxxis 2.5.

This bike looks really cool though, I may end up with one. My heart says sentinel but I think itís honestly overkill for 99% of my riding.

ride
    Here's a couple pics of a 2018 Smuggler - tire is a 2.3 Minion DHR II and I measured it at the widest knob...2018 Smuggler Tire Clearance-img_20171028_105909919.jpg2018 Smuggler Tire Clearance-img_20171028_105822563_hdr.jpg
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    That angle makes it look like the tires are firmly up against the stays!

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Looks like 1/2 and inch to me

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yeah. Kinda disappointing, minions arenít known for measuring up to claimed size anyhow, thatís really not a very big tire. Granted I would t wanna go tooo much bigger, itís nice to know you could if you wanted to.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I am in a similar situation. I like my riot a lot, but it felt like overkill sometimes. Trying to decide if I should go up to a sentinel or down to a smuggler (in terms of travel). Or maybe a smuggler with a longer fork? Has anyone tried this?

Quote Originally Posted by max_lombardy View Post
    My heart says sentinel but I think itís honestly overkill for 99% of my riding.

DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by max_lombardy View Post
    My heart says sentinel but I think itís honestly overkill for 99% of my riding.
    "If you want to know where your heart is, look where your mind goes when it wanders."
    No idea who said it, or wrote it. But it's served me well. My vote is to go with what your heart wants on this one. Might very well be overkill, but I'll bet it's a fun ride on even less gnarly trails.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Good point too... but it looks like the sentinel's are flying off the shelves right now. They're largely out of stock on Transition's webstore.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    They're entirely out of stock. If you want a Sentinel it'll be Q1 2018 at the earliest.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The stock tires have plenty of clearance on my frame. I could put a 2.5 on there for sure.
    I was planning a 2.6spec butcher front, 2.3 WTB breakout rear (that breakout is quite big and tough). A 2.4 dhr2 wt would definitely fit as well.

If I sell my Large w/ 3hrs on it (classifieds), I may get a Med and try this tire combo. That said, the stock tires are great! and With that 27mm rim, I tested them at 17lbs fr and 19 rear with no squirm or pinches.

Cheers,
    W

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks for the update holiday. Sent you an email- please let me know if you don't get it (mtbr's messaging system hates me). Cheers!

ride
    That angle makes it look like the tires are firmly up against the stays!
    8mm clearance at tightest point (chainstay).
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Iíve often wondered why transition seems to be patently against plus tires. I rode a scout at CB and had a blast, just wished for a little more meat on the tires..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I too get the impression that they're not really running to embrace the plus movement, but you can run 2.8's on the 2018 scout according to their website. That's not a bad option in my book, though the stock rims are likely a bit narrow for that big of a tire.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Yeah didnít know that, not too bad then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    my original 2015 Smuggler (with the tightest rear clearance) fits 2.5's in the front (Pike, pre boost) and the rear fits a 2.4 Minion DHR no problem. the biggest tire i've seen on the back of a 2015 was an e13 TRS tire, which although a 2.35 stated size, blows up huge, a bit larger than the 2.4 DHR. it has fairly shallow center knobs though and huge side knobs. it just fit and the guy said if his wheel ever went outta true, it would probably stop rolling. he rode it like a mad man though and loved those tires front and back. i'm pretty stoked on the e13 race (like maxx gripp compound) at the front and the 2.4 rear combo. with huck norris i can get away with low pressures in back, about 22 most the time without much risk. for really rocky trails or high risk riding, a bit more.