mtbr member
    Dec 2011

2018 Scout as a 27plus?

Has anyone tried the new scout as a 27plus? I see that they have 29mm rims, and can handle up to 2.8 wide tires .

I'm leaning towards buying a plus bike, and want to know if this would work, or how it handles.

ride
    I ran 2.6 tires on a 35mm internal rim on my 2017 Scout and it was fantastic. A 2018 Scout with 2.6 or 2.8 tires will rock.

As an aside, I see the "plus bike" categorically going away now that most frames are going to fit 2.6 or 2.8 tires standard.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I intend to run mine with 2.6s once I get it, without changing rims 2.8 would likely be squirmy on 30mm. Iíll likely run the stock tires for awhile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I built my 2018 Scout using Spank oozy 395 rims for the wheelset and am running 2.8" maxxis tires. The traction is spectacular, I highly recommend it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    goose, do tell, details man, details! what tires are you running? did you ride it first with standard tires, or straight to 2.8s? any drawbacks? does that bike handle as well as i imagine it should? photos requested!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I'm running the DHF and DHR. I went straight to the 2.8's without trying anything smaller- I'm coming off years of riding 29ers and wanted to keep as much of the rollover characteristics as I could. I also wanted the wider footprint for slick conditions. I might try out 2.5 or 2.6's in the summer, we'll see. It also looks like I might be able to squeeze a 3" tire in the 36 fork, so that could be an experiment too. The 2.8's aren't light but for me the traction is definitely worth the extra weight.

I still only have two rides on the bike- my dropper post is in for service and it's full blown winter now, so I switched to my hardtail. From those rides I have on the Scout I can say that it handles really well. At low speeds it's really stable and but feels like a normal trail bike. When things get steep though, you can feel the slacker head angle kick in and it's incredibly confident. The balance in the air is something that takes getting used to, and I'm still not there yet. The weight distribution just feels different, and that's the best I can do to describe it right now. I don't see it as a drawback, just a change that I need to get used to. The biggest negative I've seen so far is the low bottom bracket. I thought I was used to a low bb on my old bike (Canfield Riot), but the scout seems to be even more prone to hitting rocks and trees. I can't imagine how it would be with 2.3 tires, but then again it would probably be perfectly fine on smoother terrain. I'm sure I'll get used to it and adapt, but it's worth mentioning.

I just pulled the rear wheel to use on my other bike, so you'll have to settle for some older pictures for now. Hope this helps.

2018 Scout as a 27plus?-img_3751.jpg

2018 Scout as a 27plus?-img_3748.jpg

2018 Scout as a 27plus?-img_3749.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    super cool. yes every bike requires some adjusting to. i spend my time between a Smuggler and Patrol and even ride to ride i have to adjust a bit. for those of us who run DD and Super Gravity casings the 2.8's would have no weight penalty. even exo 2.5s are about the same. your set up would be awesome where i live in BC. heavily rooted, rocky and slippery.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I've used to going back and forth between different bikes, but this is something altogether new. It's hard to describe but the balance of the Scout feels entirely different from every other bike I've ridden for as long as I can remember. I'm sure I'll get there- it's different in a good way.

You're right about the weight not being all that significant- I was running 29x2.5 DHF's with DH casings on my old FS bike so this isn't much different. I think I noticed the weight because I was on a hardtail exclusively for a month. And to be honest I it's likely that I just got used to not losing any energy whatsoever to the rear suspension.

Funny you mention how it would work for your riding- I went in this direction partially because of the experience I had riding a friend's rig, which he designed for riding the shore. I was really impressed by how that bike rode and thought that it would be great for my local trails, which are also rocky and rooty. From what I hear they're not nearly as slick most of the time though! I was torn between this and the sentinel- wish I could have ridden them side by side before I placed the order. Regardless, I'm stoked with the Scout so far.