DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

2018 SBG Patrol, general ride review and build specs. Love this bike.

2018 SBG Patrol, general ride review and build specs. Love this bike.-img_1792.jpg2018 SBG Patrol, general ride review and build specs. Love this bike.-image1.jpg2018 SBG Patrol, general ride review and build specs. Love this bike.-image1.jpg2018 SBG Patrol, general ride review and build specs. Love this bike.-image2.jpg2018 SBG Patrol, general ride review and build specs. Love this bike.-image2.jpg2018 SBG Patrol, general ride review and build specs. Love this bike.-img_1791.jpg2018 SBG Patrol, general ride review and build specs. Love this bike.-img_1790.jpg

When the information became available on this bike, the concept and geometry numbers made sense to me. So I ordered a frame and fork without having ridden the bike. Fast forward to a few rides at this point.

This bike makes it feel like you're cheating.

Thatís how good the design concept is that Transition has developed. It does everything they said it would do. And it just makes me a better rider. Primarily because of being centered or more balanced in the frame between the wheels. And the steering with the reduced offset fork. Turn-in is ON POINT! Zero problems with switchbacks up or down, somehow the steering with more weight on front wheel actually seems to defy the longer wheelbase. No twitch, no flop. Just pure carved turns. Handles off-camber terrain with a steadfast assurance that gives me confidence.

Wheelbase length isn't an indicator of how this bike rides, at least for me. It'll pop off the small roots and grade changes just as well as my shorter bikes. Off of the bigger jumps and drops the bike feels really balanced in the air. Hopping to change my line on the trail isn't an issue.

Best bike Iíve ever owned, or ridden. By far the biggest difference of this bike compared to bikes I've demo'd in the past couple years from Santa Cruz, Yeti, Pivot, Transition and Kona, and the Bandit and Canfield The One I currently own, is the front-end stability. Cornering and overall descending are on another level. Feedback from front wheel to bar makes the next move intuitive. I can lean this bike over with more confidence that the front wheel is going to hold the line.

Transition deserves the kudos. I just canít believe how good this bike is. People will question how the bike does what it does, but until they ride it they just wonít understand the feeling of the greatly enhanced front-end stability that SBG offers.

Big ups on the execution of concept by Transition. I canít say enough good things about this bike.

Build Specs: I'm 5'11" 200 lbs. Fit is perfect.

*Large frame
    *RC2 36 fork (need to get a Syncros trail fender)
    *Chris King Inset 2 headset
    *Chris King Threadfit 24 bottom bracket
    *XO1 170mm cranks, 32t chainring
    *XO1 shifter
    *GX derailleur, cassette, and chain
    *E Thirteen TRS+ chain guide and bash guard
    *Deity T-Mac pedals
    *Race Face Turbine R 35 40mm stem (steer tube runs 8mm through top of stem)
    *Wolf Tooth stem spacers, 18mm
    *Race Face SixC 35 20mm rise bar, cut to 780mm
    *Ergon GA2 grips, and SM3 saddle
    *Fox Transfer 150mm dropper with E Thirteen lever (great lever)
    *Hope seat post collar
    *Hope Tech 3 e4 brakes, Hope rotors 203f / 180r
    *Hope Pro 4 front hub 15x110
    *Onyx 148x12 rear hub (silent, rolls very fast)
    *Stanís Flow rims (no stickers)
    *Sapim Strong spokes
    *Sapim alloy polyax nips
    *Maxxis 2.5 Shorty in front, 2.5 DHF in back (great tire combo)
    *Weight- 33.6 lbs

*Suspension setup

-Fork: 85 psi. Gives me about 18% sag, or 31mm on the stanchion. All settings listed are from full closed. Rebound- 6, LSC- 15, HSC- 18 I haven't cracked open the air-side yet to see if there's a volume reducer in it. And I probably won't, ramp up feels perfect.

-DPX2 shock: 200 psi. Gives me 35% sag, or 23mm on the stanchion. Both settings listed are from full closed. Rebound- 9, LSC- 6. Shock has the .4 volume reducer installed. Feels about right.

I hope this provides some more information to anyone interested in the bike and SBG concept.
    Last edited by DBY; 11-05-2017 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Additional thoughts and information.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Is this your first Transition? Curious how it compares to the previous model

mtbr member
    Nice! Mine shows up on Tuesday. Can't wait to try it out.
    Binary ē Transition Bikes ē Demon Dirt ē

DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik_Yerbouti View Post
    Is this your first Transition? Curious how it compares to the previous model
    No. I currently own a 2012 Bandit as well. I've ridden a Covert and 2015 alloy Patrol though. With the new design the rider is more forward in the bike. Better turning and handling. It doesn't require much effort to link up successive turns with the SBG bike. Always feels like your in the pocket of the turn. The new Fox 2018 36 Float fork and DPX2 shock is great equipment, and that could account for some of the general ride characteristics that feel better to me. The bike tracks better, holds a line better, etc. Previous Patrol's were great obviously, 2018 just seems like a better bike to me.

DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ruppguts View Post
    Nice! Mine shows up on Tuesday. Can't wait to try it out.
    Congrats! Hope you love it as much as I do. Fantastic piece of engineering on Transition's part. Easy to dial in the suspension, doesn't feel like there's any time required to get used to the longer wheelbase. Get on, let it rip! Post up some pics of your bike when you get the chance.

mtbr member
    Great build DBY! Thanks for posting your impressions.

Where do you live that the Shorty front works so well?

DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Crit Rat View Post
    Great build DBY! Thanks for posting your impressions.

Where do you live that the Shorty front works so well?
    1) Thank you, and you're welcome.

2) Oregon.

Backstory on tire choice- went to DHF front and back several years ago, I liked the way the DHF behaved under braking on the rear. I was looking for a different front tire for the wet months, and came across an article where Maxxis thought the Shorty front / DHF rear was a good combination, not specifically for wet, just a combination that worked well together. Picked up a Shorty last fall for my Canfield, kept that combination through the dry months. Worked well for me in the summer, even on hard pack. Go figure.

DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Climbing steeper fire roads, I haven't felt the need to use more than the medium setting on the DPX2 shock. Out of saddle climbing I really notice the increased traction with my weight being more centered between the wheels, and the room afforded by the long reach. And even on the steeper seated climbs, trail or fire road, the front wheel stays firmly on the ground.

mtbr member
    Hmmm! Got my '18 Patrol on Tuesday and got it (mostly) built up today. I'm right between large and XL recommendations and have ridden both Large and XL Patrols in the past. Not being able to demo one of the new bikes I decided to go for the Large, mostly for fear of too long a wheelbase on the twisty technical trails here in Phoenix. I studied all the numbers but may have underestimated the effect of the complete SBG package. I'm sure I can get away with large, but it feels really short when I'm in the saddle. Out of the saddle it feels pretty good. Trying to decide if I just need to get used to the steeper seat tube angle, or if I should've gone XL. I've only ridden it around my yard so far... other than the sizing question, everything about the new bikes feels awesome.

DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'm glad you got it built up! Any chance of making the 'short' feeling a little better by sliding the rails back on the saddle? In any case, I hope the sizing works out and you can enjoy the bike on the trails.

mtbr member
    Ruppguts, how tall are you and if you know it what is your arm span?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crit Rat View Post
    Ruppguts, how tall are you and if you know it what is your arm span?
    I'm 6' 3", but arm span is only 72". Short torso. Most of my height is in my legs. I have enough seat post. Most XLs feel a little long to me hence leaning towards the large. But that steep seat angle makes a huge difference. So again maybe I just need to get used to that new body position.

mtbr member
    I'm 6' 3", but arm span is only 72". Short torso. Most of my height is in my legs. I have enough seat post. Most XLs feel a little long to me hence leaning towards the large. But that steep seat angle makes a huge difference. So again maybe I just need to get used to that new body position.
    Interesting. You and I are kind of opposites. I am 72.5" tall but have an armspan of 74.75". So like you I am in between L and XL usually as well. Where is your saddle on fore/aft? Sliding back get you some space. Transition does say they designed for a 40mm stem so I'd be a little hesitant to change that very much but going to a 45mm and then slamming the seat all the way back might get you to where you want. You could also go to 175mm cranks that would help with the long legs and in affect give more stack. Don't know if pedal strikes are a big problem in your riding though.

If I were you I'd probably ride the L patrol more to get a feel for it although the more you ride it the more it affects resale so unless you got an awesome deal that might be an issue. There seems to be a big demand for these bikes

mtbr member
    Good thoughts. I just talked to Transition again, and they recommended giving the Large a good try. The short feeling may just be different rather than "wrong", and that I may not want the extra wheelbase and everything else that comes with the XL (which is part of why I chose the Large in the first place. Out of the saddle it feels just right). They said I could go up to a 50mm stem without a negative impact on the geo. I think I'll do a real ride tomorrow and go from there. It feels awesome, as long as climbing feels okay I think I'll be fine.

DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Good thoughts. I just talked to Transition again, and they recommended giving the Large a good try. The short feeling may just be different rather than "wrong", and that I may not want the extra wheelbase and everything else that comes with the XL (which is part of why I chose the Large in the first place. Out of the saddle it feels just right). They said I could go up to a 50mm stem without a negative impact on the geo. I think I'll do a real ride tomorrow and go from there. It feels awesome, as long as climbing feels okay I think I'll be fine.
    I'm looking forward to your post-ride thoughts on the bike!

DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    2018 SBG Patrol, general ride review and build specs. Love this bike.-img_1824.jpg

SBG makes for a great wet conditions / mud bike as well. Was able to ride with good speed today on greasy, wet trails and never came close to losing the front wheel. Rider balance "in" the bike, along with increased front tire grip goes a long way.
    Last edited by DBY; 11-12-2017 at 11:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    So, after a few weeks, how is the bike going after the honey moon is over?

I'm curious if the frame is progressive enough to work with a coil...

Here is another linkage analysis of the frame:
    Transition Patrol 2018 - Linkage Design

Once again it might have been done by taking measurements from a photo, so it can be very innacurate. And I really hope it is innacurate.

Transition guys use to wander by this forum, hope they shed some light on us.

DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RNeves View Post
    So, after a few weeks, how is the bike going after the honey moon is over?

I'm curious if the frame is progressive enough to work with a coil...

Here is another linkage analysis of the frame:
    Transition Patrol 2018 - Linkage Design

Once again it might have been done by taking measurements from a photo, so it can be very innacurate. And I really hope it is innacurate.

Transition guys use to wander by this forum, hope they shed some light on us.
    Honeymoon still going on. Love this bike! I don't have an answer about the coil. I like the way the DPX2 feels, good match for the frame. If you send Transition an email, I'll bet they'd give you their honest opinion on how this frame would work with a coil.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Hi and thank you for the review. Just a couple of questions from my side.

It seems that you are happy with how the Patrol turns but I am a bit concerned with the "weight forward" approach since I am a more conservative "stay in the middle" rider and I am not sure that I can turn such a slack bike unless I seriously change my body position.

Except for the slack head angle I am also concerned with the steep seat angle since I am not sure that I will be able to position myself on the saddle in the same way I do now. For example I now have a bike with 74 seat angle and my saddle is right in the middle so changing to a 76 seat angle will either require me moving my saddle to the back or to change again my pedalling position.

So to sum up my two concerns have to do with my body position both when riding seated and in the attack position (so all the time ) and whether it is easy to adopt to this new geometry?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I bought a 2018 Scout for a mid travel trail bike and liked it so much that I went back and picked up a 2018 Patrol as well. These bikes seem to work so well I am selling all of my other mountain bikes. Both of mine are large stock GX build bikes.

To answer your geometry question.....In my opinion, they are different enough that you should keep it in mind for the first few rides. They are different in a good way but sometimes different can get you in trouble. I think by the time you get the suspension set up the way you like it, which should have you using some caution anyway, you will have a pretty good feel for it.

I let a friend of mine ride the Patrol down a single black trail with gap jumps while I followed him on my Scout. He just went for it hitting every jump so it is not super weird if you are a really good rider but he did comment it felt really fast and he overshot a jump or two just like others have mentioned. He is thinking of adding a Patrol to the Reckoning he has now.

I am not as good of a rider as my friend but riding this bike was tempting me to try to double up some of the jumps that I would never have considered before.

I basically second everything that DBY said in his review. Going downhill the bike is the best I have ever ridden. Going up hill it is as good, if not better than any of my other bikes. It is obviously a heavy bike but rides lighter than it should. The seated position feels natural too me where other bikes made me feel too far back and over the rear wheel. Standing up the bike feels natural and roomy. At least for me, I don't feel like I gave anything up to make something else better. It just feels dialed.

My main trail that I ride by my house is more of a XC twisty trail which is why I started with a Scout. Both bikes work good for me for that type of riding too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Thank you for the feedback. My current bike (Mondraker Crafty XR+) has many similarities to SBG concept (long reach, wheelbase, short offset etc) and I couldn't be happier but the head and seat angle concern me a bit since when I have used an angleset to drop down the HA to around 64 I had trouble to adopt my riding and I have removed it after a couple of rides. Of course it is a one thing to modify a bike with an angleset and another thing to get something ready from the factory.

I guess I will have to try a Patrol for myself in order to decide whether it suits me or not but unfortunately there aren't any demos in my country.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I ride an 18 scout as well, the numbers truly only tell you so much, at first I couldnít get over how far out that front wheel looked in front of me, once I stopped paying attention the bike came alive, I ride primarily in Texas, we have roots, and lots of climbing to get some downs, mostly xc trails (Iím doing my best to add jumps!) and this bike has caused me no issues at all, even in tight switches it just goes on around. My point is donít let the numbers tell the story, you have to get on one, itís hard to characterize exactly, but it works...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    FTR I rode a 17 scout on dh only trails, and bought an 18 on the blind faith it would be a good bike based on reviews

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Thank you guys. I am trying to resist buying another frame but since the force is strong inside me once the Patrol will be in stock again I will most probably get one.

And another thing. Does the Patrol have enough clearance for a 2.8 DHR 2 in the rear?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    running a 2018 small with a 40mm stem & have a 2015 scout with a 50mm stem. the patrol does seem short to me in the cockpit. when turning my knees are nearly knocking on the bars. anyone esle running a small? maybe with a 50mm stem???

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    gpgalanis

It is advertised as being able to fit up to a 2.8" tire. I went to the garage to confirm and a 2.8" DHF on a 30mm internal wheel fits fine. The tire and wheel were off one of my other bikes and was a front non-boost so I did not ride it this way. Just ran the axel through the hub, centered it up and eyeballed the situation.

A bigger 2.8" tire like a Nobby Nic may be too much, or close to it. Also a super wide wheel, like 40mm or more, may create an issue. Each tire and wheel combo is kind of unique with actual size being bigger or smaller than advertised but it will for sure work with the tire you asked about. I have several other combinations I will try in the next few days but frankly I got cold and gave up after checking just the one.

I have really liked the 2.8" tire size on two of my other bikes and may end up putting them on the Patrol later but the 2.3" DHF/DHR tires that came with it have been working well enough for now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DBY View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1792.jpg 
Views:	590 
Size:	118.4 KB 
ID:	1164591Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	129.7 KB 
ID:	1164592Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	151.4 KB 
ID:	1164593Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image2.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	127.4 KB 
ID:	1164594Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image2.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	157.1 KB 
ID:	1164595Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1791.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	120.0 KB 
ID:	1164596Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1790.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	143.5 KB 
ID:	1164597

When the information became available on this bike, the concept and geometry numbers made sense to me. So I ordered a frame and fork without having ridden the bike. Fast forward to a few rides at this point.

This bike makes it feel like you're cheating.

Thatís how good the design concept is that Transition has developed. It does everything they said it would do. And it just makes me a better rider. Primarily because of being centered or more balanced in the frame between the wheels. And the steering with the reduced offset fork. Turn-in is ON POINT! Zero problems with switchbacks up or down, somehow the steering with more weight on front wheel actually seems to defy the longer wheelbase. No twitch, no flop. Just pure carved turns. Handles off-camber terrain with a steadfast assurance that gives me confidence.

Wheelbase length isn't an indicator of how this bike rides, at least for me. It'll pop off the small roots and grade changes just as well as my shorter bikes. Off of the bigger jumps and drops the bike feels really balanced in the air. Hopping to change my line on the trail isn't an issue.

Best bike Iíve ever owned, or ridden. By far the biggest difference of this bike compared to bikes I've demo'd in the past couple years from Santa Cruz, Yeti, Pivot, Transition and Kona, and the Bandit and Canfield The One I currently own, is the front-end stability. Cornering and overall descending are on another level. Feedback from front wheel to bar makes the next move intuitive. I can lean this bike over with more confidence that the front wheel is going to hold the line.

Transition deserves the kudos. I just canít believe how good this bike is. People will question how the bike does what it does, but until they ride it they just wonít understand the feeling of the greatly enhanced front-end stability that SBG offers.

Big ups on the execution of concept by Transition. I canít say enough good things about this bike.

Build Specs: I'm 5'11" 200 lbs. Fit is perfect.

*Large frame
    *RC2 36 fork (need to get a Syncros trail fender)
    *Chris King Inset 2 headset
    *Chris King Threadfit 24 bottom bracket
    *XO1 170mm cranks, 32t chainring
    *XO1 shifter
    *GX derailleur, cassette, and chain
    *E Thirteen TRS+ chain guide and bash guard
    *Deity T-Mac pedals
    *Race Face Turbine R 35 40mm stem (steer tube runs 8mm through top of stem)
    *Wolf Tooth stem spacers, 18mm
    *Race Face SixC 35 20mm rise bar, cut to 780mm
    *Ergon GA2 grips, and SM3 saddle
    *Fox Transfer 150mm dropper with E Thirteen lever (great lever)
    *Hope seat post collar
    *Hope Tech 3 e4 brakes, Hope rotors 203f / 180r
    *Hope Pro 4 front hub 15x110
    *Onyx 148x12 rear hub (silent, rolls very fast)
    *Stanís Flow rims (no stickers)
    *Sapim Strong spokes
    *Sapim alloy polyax nips
    *Maxxis 2.5 Shorty in front, 2.5 DHF in back (great tire combo)
    *Weight- 33.6 lbs

*Suspension setup

-Fork: 85 psi. Gives me about 18% sag, or 31mm on the stanchion. All settings listed are from full closed. Rebound- 6, LSC- 15, HSC- 18 I haven't cracked open the air-side yet to see if there's a volume reducer in it. And I probably won't, ramp up feels perfect.

-DPX2 shock: 200 psi. Gives me 35% sag, or 23mm on the stanchion. Both settings listed are from full closed. Rebound- 9, LSC- 6. Shock has the .4 volume reducer installed. Feels about right.

I hope this provides some more information to anyone interested in the bike and SBG concept.
    Any problem fitting the chain guide with the new cable routing?
    Put your phone down and get riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Is anyone using a fork with more offset than suggested? I have a Fox with 44 offset and I wonder if it will work or not?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenspink View Post
    I have an MRP guide on my XL. I wish I would have filed the backside of the guard a bit to make it smoother than a sharp 90į where the cable hits it, but I didnít notice until it was all tight. However, it seems to be fine, the cable must not move much there, because after a couple rides, I donít notice any wear...
    2018 Transition Patrol

DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gpgalanis View Post
    Hi and thank you for the review. Just a couple of questions from my side.

It seems that you are happy with how the Patrol turns but I am a bit concerned with the "weight forward" approach since I am a more conservative "stay in the middle" rider and I am not sure that I can turn such a slack bike unless I seriously change my body position.

Except for the slack head angle I am also concerned with the steep seat angle since I am not sure that I will be able to position myself on the saddle in the same way I do now. For example I now have a bike with 74 seat angle and my saddle is right in the middle so changing to a 76 seat angle will either require me moving my saddle to the back or to change again my pedalling position.

So to sum up my two concerns have to do with my body position both when riding seated and in the attack position (so all the time ) and whether it is easy to adopt to this new geometry?
    Sorry it took me so long to reply.

No concerns or time required to adapt at all. My first run down and I had decided to take it at 3/4 pace just to see how the bike would react. About 300 yards in I just went all out. The front end stability is amazing. And don't worry about working with body position / feeling you need to be in a certain position. It just happens naturally.

DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenspink View Post
    No problems whatsoever. Cable routing looks much tighter in pics than it actually is. The routing on my bike doesn't come that close to interfering with the guide, or the chainring. Hadn't used an E Thirteen guide before, had used different MRP guides, but wanted to try something different. Nice piece of kit. Quiet, chain doesn't rub, etc. I don't remember for sure, but I believe I used a 2.5mm and 1mm spacer on each tab to get the spacing correct. Original setup with just the 2.5mm spacers had the guide too far inboard.

DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank Hill View Post
    I bought a 2018 Scout for a mid travel trail bike and liked it so much that I went back and picked up a 2018 Patrol as well. These bikes seem to work so well I am selling all of my other mountain bikes. Both of mine are large stock GX build bikes.

To answer your geometry question.....In my opinion, they are different enough that you should keep it in mind for the first few rides. They are different in a good way but sometimes different can get you in trouble. I think by the time you get the suspension set up the way you like it, which should have you using some caution anyway, you will have a pretty good feel for it.

I let a friend of mine ride the Patrol down a single black trail with gap jumps while I followed him on my Scout. He just went for it hitting every jump so it is not super weird if you are a really good rider but he did comment it felt really fast and he overshot a jump or two just like others have mentioned. He is thinking of adding a Patrol to the Reckoning he has now.

I am not as good of a rider as my friend but riding this bike was tempting me to try to double up some of the jumps that I would never have considered before.

I basically second everything that DBY said in his review. Going downhill the bike is the best I have ever ridden. Going up hill it is as good, if not better than any of my other bikes. It is obviously a heavy bike but rides lighter than it should. The seated position feels natural too me where other bikes made me feel too far back and over the rear wheel. Standing up the bike feels natural and roomy. At least for me, I don't feel like I gave anything up to make something else better. It just feels dialed.

My main trail that I ride by my house is more of a XC twisty trail which is why I started with a Scout. Both bikes work good for me for that type of riding too.
    I really enjoyed your post. And congrats on having two SBG bikes. Along those lines, I turned my Bandit into a full-time fluid trainer bike, and I'm probably going to give the Canfield to my brother. I don't think I would want to ride anything other than this SBG geo anymore, and sometime this summer I'm going to get a Scout as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Is anyone using a fork with more offset than suggested? I have a Fox with 44 offset and I wonder if it will work or not?
    I have the 2018 Scout with a regular Pike. It feels great, I never really had the itch to get a reduced offset fork. I'm not getting any twitch or wheel flop on mine at all.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by carwash1 View Post
    I have the 2018 Scout with a regular Pike. It feels great, I never really had the itch to get a reduced offset fork. I'm not getting any twitch or wheel flop on mine at all.
    Same here

mtbr member
    I don't love uber steep STAs. I can't pedal efficiently like that of less steep terrain. 9.8 makes a dropper with a 1" setback head. So you could use one of those to get a more rearward saddle position.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com