ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009

2018 SBG bikes--anyone ride them yet?

I know there are a few first rides from the press with the patrol, but I'm wondering if anyone has been on a Smuggler or Scout yet.

mtbr member
    With Outerbike Moab last weekend, I'm hoping we start to get some ride reports! Wish I could've made it up there to try them myself.
    Binary ē Transition Bikes ē Demon Dirt ē

mtbr member
    Got my 2018 Patrol today!!!! Tomorrow is booked, but hoping to ride Sunday!
    2018 Transition Patrol

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Awesome 1996...where are you located? My Patrol was supposed to arrive yesterday over here in Portland, OR. Iím hoping Iíll get the call today.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 1996cc View Post
    Got my 2018 Patrol today!!!! Tomorrow is booked, but hoping to ride Sunday!
    Pictures please...

mtbr member
    Iím in Eugene, but one of the employees at Lifecycle is still waiting for their Sentinel...

Where are you guys hosting your pics these days? I used to use photobucket, but itís ridiculous now. I just tried Dropbox and mtbr didnít like that, so I give up for now...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018 SBG bikes--anyone ride them yet?-e6d1e200-9cfa-4514-818f-776e706a85fc.jpg  

2018 Transition Patrol

mtbr member
    WTH? Apparently something did work...
    2018 Transition Patrol

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Looks good--fun color.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'm thinking about replacing my 2016 Patrol frame with the new 18er Frame- mainly because I want a longer reach/more space. Does anyone know what happens when riding the new SBG models with a fork with the common offset? What are the disadvantages?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Looks great enjoy!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Got a chance to demo the Sentinel last night, I posted some quick thoughts in the thread.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Will there be a smuggler with a DPX and a 36? It sounds like the sentinel is overkill for most things but I want a piggyback shock and a beefy fork on my next bike for long descents.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by carlhulit View Post
    Will there be a smuggler with a DPX and a 36? It sounds like the sentinel is overkill for most things but I want a piggyback shock and a beefy fork on my next bike for long descents.
    Bingo. That's got me leaning towards the Scout.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    My XL Green Patrol shipped today! Should be here in the next two days. Ordered the GX build and will be transferring over a few bits from my Wreckoning. Cannot wait to get it out for its first ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by carlhulit View Post
    Seems strange that the Smuggler didn't at least get the DPX eh.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ruppguts View Post
    Bingo. That's got me leaning towards the Scout.
    I'm in a real pickle with all these amazing SBG bikes, please help me. I really want a longer travel bike than my current 5010 and enjoy the straightline speed of a 29r.

Scout: too similar to the 5010, but slacker and more capable
    Patrol: a whole lot of travel for my normal riding, but perfect for the 10-15 park/shuttle rides a year
    Sentinel: heavy and long, but perfect travel and wheels for my terrain

I'm so torn! I would buy all three if I could.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Is the sentinel any heavier than the scout/patrol? I was under the impression all the new SBG bikes were about the same weight?

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Is the sentinel any heavier than the scout/patrol? I was under the impression all the new SBG bikes were about the same weight?
    Well--you mean the frames, right? I suspect they are all pretty similar. The components will make a difference of course. Some have 36mm forks, some have 34. Some have heavier brakes, some have wider rims and heavier tires. Etc.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    of course but I thought I saw the listed weights all somewhere in the 32 pound range but maybe I'm remembering wrong.

I found a few things suggesting the sentinel is coming in around 32 pounds and that the previous smuggler (assuming it's the lightest of the bunch) was at that or heavier. really just guessing though. i guess.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    The info I got from Transition was that the new SBG bikes are about a pound heavier than the old aluminium counterparts. I'd imagine there wouldn't be a huge weight difference between the different models.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm hoping a carbon Scout will be in the works for next year. That will be my "do anything bike"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1996cc View Post
    Iím in Eugene, but one of the employees at Lifecycle is still waiting for their Sentinel...

Where are you guys hosting your pics these days? I used to use photobucket, but itís ridiculous now. I just tried Dropbox and mtbr didnít like that, so I give up for now...
    Cool bike that I plan to own soon! What is the frame size and do you mind weighing it for us? Any ride report yet also? Thanks.
    2015 Giant Trance 3
    X-Fusion Sweep RL2 160mm fork
    Straitline Defacto pedals
    Renthal Fatbar with TV 40mm stem
    Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by aenduro View Post
    I'm thinking about replacing my 2016 Patrol frame with the new 18er Frame- mainly because I want a longer reach/more space. Does anyone know what happens when riding the new SBG models with a fork with the common offset? What are the disadvantages?
    I guess new Patrol is coming with boost whereas old ones are without.

mtbr member
    I donít have an accurate scale, just a 15 year old bathroom scale... It is an XL.

Iíve only ridden it once, and it was pretty sweet. Itís been pouring rain since that ride. So many new things to get used to that I canít give a detailed report yet (remember, my old bike was almost 10 years old! I have ridden many other demos over the last few years though too...)
    2018 Transition Patrol

mtbr member
    Got ride number 2 in today. Gotta get used to the lower BB/pedal height! (compared to my old Heckler) Sent me OTB today when I hit a rock that was so low I didnít even notice it...

This bike is way more capable than Iíll even be. So fun. Want to go faster? Just lean back a little more and let it rip!
    2018 Transition Patrol

mtbr member
    May 2011
    So I got my hands on a Fox 34 reduced offset fork. It came off out of a 2018 Smuggler parts kit. I'm going to experiment with it on my 2017 Smuggler. SBG? I guess we'll see.

DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by monts View Post
    So I got my hands on a Fox 34 reduced offset fork. It came off out of a 2018 Smuggler parts kit. I'm going to experiment with it on my 2017 Smuggler. SBG? I guess we'll see.
    Are you going to use an angleset or works components headset to get the headtube angle down to 66 from 67.5?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DBY View Post
    Are you going to use an angleset or works components headset to get the headtube angle down to 66 from 67.5?
    That would be ideal, still not sure what to do about the seat tube angle other than play around with moving the saddle. I'll report back when I get it all together.

DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by monts View Post
    That would be ideal, still not sure what to do about the seat tube angle other than play around with moving the saddle. I'll report back when I get it all together.
    Sounds good.

mtbr member
    New Scout really has my eye, specíd with some pretty big tire clearance.

Part of me wants to get a 2017 for the ease of swapping all my parts over rather than buying complete.

mtbr member
    Not a bad idea, but the new bikes are a pretty big leap compared to last year's. If it's just about convenience, I'd go 2018. If cost is a factor, the deals on last year's are good!