mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    Source?
    Transitions website

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    That is interesting but I think the alloy frame with a nice wheel upgrade (burly carbon) would ride better than the carbon frame with stock wheels.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by carlhulit View Post
    That is interesting but I think the alloy frame with a nice wheel upgrade (burly carbon) would ride better than the carbon frame with stock wheels.
    For what reasons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by carlhulit View Post
    I'd just get a carbon frame/fork and build it up the way I wanted.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

2018 Bikes... why so heavy?

Do the wheels included in the transition build kits come with tubes installed or are they tubeless ready?

Just wanting to know if there is a small weight saving if the wheels are converted to tubeless.

mtbr member
    My Patrol had/has tubes.
    2018 Transition Patrol

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thanks for letting me know

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Mine came with tubes but was tubeless ready, I just took out the tubes put in a valve and went. Tape was already installed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

aaarrrggghh!
    I purchased a 2018 Smuggler on December 22 and was able to head down to Sedona, St. George, and Flagstaff to break it in. Overall I got about 75 miles on the bike over the trip. Mine, the XO1 build, came in at a hair over 31 lbs. with pedals on it. I changed out the stock bars for some carbon Anvls because they were already cut to my liking and I was pressed for time when I built the bike.

In my opinion 31 pounds for an alloy 29er is not unreasonable. The bike pedals great due to the steep seat angle and the spec'd wheels feel light enough to probably help with this. On the downhill the frame is really composed and exhibits no perceptible flex. Perhaps the extra weight contributes to this bike feeling so great on the fun parts. The new geometry is fantastic and the bike feels incredibly capable.

To each their own when buying a new bike but I wouldn't let the weight scare you away.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan the Terrible View Post
    I purchased a 2018 Smuggler on December 22 and was able to head down to Sedona, St. George, and Flagstaff to break it in. Overall I got about 75 miles on the bike over the trip. Mine, the XO1 build, came in at a hair over 31 lbs. with pedals on it. I changed out the stock bars for some carbon Anvls because they were already cut to my liking and I was pressed for time when I built the bike.

In my opinion 31 pounds for an alloy 29er is not unreasonable. The bike pedals great due to the steep seat angle and the spec'd wheels feel light enough to probably help with this. On the downhill the frame is really composed and exhibits no perceptible flex. Perhaps the extra weight contributes to this bike feeling so great on the fun parts. The new geometry is fantastic and the bike feels incredibly capable.

To each their own when buying a new bike but I wouldn't let the weight scare you away.
    I had a similar experience on my demo ride.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Njhardrock View Post
    Transitions already have a terrible resale.... now the whole direct too consumer thing makes that even worse.... half the reason I bought a patrol was based on i felt transition was done with the bad mistakes.... and yet now i will practically give my partrol frame away and move into another brand.... it's always another half thought out idea with this company ..

The whole sbg things makes these bikes soo proprietary it kinda gets away from what I thought the brand was about

Simple no bs bikes..... but hey that's my opinion.... but just go check out what transitions are selling for 2nd hand and that sums the brand up sorry to say
    Let me know if you want to sell your Patrol frame.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    XL Sentinel: 33LBS w/o pedals
    XTR drivetrain and brakes
    Carbon bar & hoops
    185mm dropper

2018 Bikes... why so heavy?-img_20180109_171810320.jpg
    Thinning the herd
    16 Honzo DL
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Carbon bar & hoops
    185mm dropper

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180109_171810320.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	1177306
    Dang, nice build! What size tires? They look chunky.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adrian.bee View Post
    Dang, nice build! What size tires? They look chunky.
    Thanks, building it for a friend. 2.35 hans damph in back and 2.35 magic mary up front on 30mm internal rims.
    Thinning the herd
    16 Honzo DL
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

> 55
    Aug 2014
    Carbon bar & hoops
    185mm dropper

Name:	IMG_20180109_171810320.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	1177306
    Nice. I hope you will give us a ride report? As a process 111 guy, trying to figure out my next bike (smash, sentinel, snabb 150?).

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Why are they heavy? I think it's simple: all fames likely use the same custom tubeset drawn for Transiton by the factory. Since the Sentinel needs to widstand a serious beating, and all other framess get heavy as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I bought the frame and fork option with a Pike. Built up mostly XT with carbon bars. Came in at 32 pounds. Yes its heavy. I was worried because once I built it I couldn't get out on it for a month due to the weather. So it weighed heavily on my mind. I was coming off a Rocky mountain carbon element that was at 27 pounds with a 140 pike. So this was a 5 pound gain right away. I now have 3 rides on it and can say for certain that I don't notice the weight at all! This bike climbs so much better than my Rocky and that was a good climber. It handles the rocky New England trails perfectly. The SBG is no gimmick, the confidence when it gets steep and fast is amazing.
    So far I have no complaints or regrets in building this bike.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by captainb View Post
    I bought the frame and fork option with a Pike. Built up mostly XT with carbon bars. Came in at 32 pounds. Yes its heavy. I was worried because once I built it I couldn't get out on it for a month due to the weather. So it weighed heavily on my mind. I was coming off a Rocky mountain carbon element that was at 27 pounds with a 140 pike. So this was a 5 pound gain right away. I now have 3 rides on it and can say for certain that I don't notice the weight at all! This bike climbs so much better than my Rocky and that was a good climber. It handles the rocky New England trails perfectly. The SBG is no gimmick, the confidence when it gets steep and fast is amazing.
    So far I have no complaints or regrets in building this bike.
    What model?

Pics!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    LG Smuggler. Can't post pics from my phone. I'll try tomorrow.

No Clue Crew
    I weighed my Sentinel the other day. Stock GX Alloy build. 35 pounds.

I could probably drop a little if I didn't put so much sealant in my tires but I'm not sure where else I can lose weight. Tires are as light as I would dare and the wheel set is about the same as a decent set of Stans. I wouldn't trust a carbon frame, I sure don't want carbon rims.

But, the plus side is that it does not pedal like a 35# bike. I'm in horrible shape and I've been PRing climbs on it so I'm not losing too much sleep that it's such a piggie.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I thought the weights of the Transitions were on the heavy side until I looked up my old Santa Cruz.

2018 Bikes... why so heavy?-2016-santa-cruz-nomad-c-s-2.jpg

I just bought a Scout GX alloy which comes in at 31.6 lbs according to their website. For what its worth the weights are not all that bad. Yeah its gonna be 2 pounds more for my Scout........but I'm not exactly sweating the weights now.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BluePitch View Post
    I thought the weights of the Transitions were on the heavy side until I looked up my old Santa Cruz.

Name:	2016-Santa-Cruz-Nomad-C-S--2.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	1183526

I just bought a Scout GX alloy which comes in at 31.6 lbs according to their website. For what its worth the weights are not all that bad. Yeah its gonna be 2 pounds more for my Scout........but I'm not exactly sweating the weights now.
    I don't know if you've seen the new Vital MTB long travel Enduro test but the aSentinel was 1)the only alloy in the group 2) not the heaviest bike 3) fast

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sbd View Post
    I don't know if you've seen the new Vital MTB long travel Enduro test but the aSentinel was 1)the only alloy in the group 2) not the heaviest bike 3) fast

Yes, I saw the Vital video. I guess the carbon version wasnít ready for the Sentinel. I still donít think the weights for the aluminum builds are all that bad. Yes they are overbuilt and weigh more than traditional alloy frames but they are not so heavy that people should rule them out for consideration.

I pulled the tubes out of my Scout build and went tubeless and saved 14oz....nearly a pound by this simple switch.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BluePitch View Post
    Yes, I saw the Vital video. I guess the carbon version wasnít ready for the Sentinel. I still donít think the weights for the aluminum builds are all that bad. Yes they are overbuilt and weigh more than traditional alloy frames but they are not so heavy that people should rule them out for consideration.

I pulled the tubes out of my Scout build and went tubeless and saved 14oz....nearly a pound by this simple switch.
    Word - if you look at the weights of the Sentinel compared to the other bikes in the Vital review, it really isn't materially heavier than any of them. Granted, it sounds like the bike could use a tire upgrade, and several of the other bikes are running coil shocks...but weight savings can be chased down in other areas if it means a lot to you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Also the cheapest as tested!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Bikes View Post
    Also the cheapest as tested!
    If they had a Carbon XO1 build it would still be cheaper then two of the builds.

You may have beat the Orbea in the "Relative Performance Ratings" if they had the carbon version.

I really like that comparison, one of the better ways to test bikes!

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Also appeared to be the only bike the we're whooping and hollering on!

Now if my LBS will just get the plastic Smuggler I ordered...

mtbr member
    Also appeared to be the only bike the we're whooping and hollering on!
    I heard that, too.

Since the results were that close, that whooping has got to count for something in the big picture!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Got my Carbonious Sentinal last week. 7.6 lbs for the large. That is lighter than the Wreckoning it is replacing by a hair and I would consider it totally reasonable for a frame designed to take bike park abuse.

Still waiting for my proper offset fork...but got the first lil break-in ride with the 51mm offset I already had. Damn Skippy....first impressions are REALLY good. Gunna hopefully get on some rowdy stuff this weekend.

I'm a bit stunned that people are worried about the weight swing equivalent to a descent sized morning poo. Personally, I think focusing on an indestructible alloy bike at a good price and a more weight conscious carbon option is a great way to go about things.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Short version of the Vital review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CleqWSApX5A

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    2018 Scout GX build in large. Stock except for the grips, crank arm boots, fender, tires are tubeless, and it has 3m Scotchgard. No pedals.

Transition site says GX build is 31.6 which I believe is the medium frame?

I used a luggage scale to get 32.32 lbs.

2018 Bikes... why so heavy?-thumbnail_img_1852.jpg

2018 Bikes... why so heavy?-thumbnail_img_1853.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12