endorphin addict
    Aug 2007

2017 Patrol Aluminum or Carbon Frame?

I am looking at picking up a discounted 2017 model since I really do not need 170mm of travel and trying to decide between an aluminum or carbon frame Patrol. For folks that have ridden both how much difference is there in the ride?

I like the idea of a little less weight, but have not had a carbon frame before and not entirely sold on the idea yet. Close to $1000 price difference worth it?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BushPilot View Post
    I am looking at picking up a discounted 2017 model since I really do not need 170mm of travel and trying to decide between an aluminum or carbon frame Patrol. For folks that have ridden both how much difference is there in the ride?

I like the idea of a little less weight, but have not had a carbon frame before and not entirely sold on the idea yet. Close to $1000 price difference worth it?

Thanks!
    Ridden both and owned a carbon. I'm not sure if you'll notice a huge difference between the two while riding but maybe you could invest in better components by going alu... a friend said he noticed a stiffer BB area on mine compared to his alu. But you would probably notice a better fork, wheelset or shock, like an elevensix, more.

I had a pretty blinged out build and would say the elevensix was the best upgrade I made (sold the bike without it and will be selling soon... or modding to use on my coming Sentinel).

Either way, you'll probably not be thinking much about your choice while riding... they're a ridiculously fun bike no matter what. Pretty awesome prices up here at North Shore Bike Shop in North Vancouver right now... check them out in the buy&sell on a particularly colourful bike website; they ship everywhere and the USD has increased against the CAD in the last few weeks.