mtbr member
    Jul 2006

2016 Smuggler Sizing....

Looking for some input on Smuggler sizing. I'm 5'10" which is right at the M/L grey area according to the Transition sizing chart. What size should I ride??

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bruvius View Post
    Looking for some input on Smuggler sizing. I'm 5'10" which is right at the M/L grey area according to the Transition sizing chart. What size should I ride??
    Im 5'9" with crazy long arms and legs for my height - 32/33 dress shirt and 32" pants inseam and my medium 2016 smug is perfect for me. I also demoed a large and it felt a lot less playful, more point and shoot. You could go either way, but the medium will still be plenty stable for you with a lot more playfullness built in.

If you can wait, I would snag a new 2018 SBG smuggler instead. My only issue with the 2016 is that the tire clearance in the rear is pretty limited. I am assuming they fixed that with the new bikes. My 2016 is a rocket up hills, but the 2018 should pedal even better. Also for $4,999 you get a crazy good build with the 2018.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I can get a good deal on a custom built 2017 Smuggler. I am 58 and ride single track without doing much crazy. What would be the advantage of the 2018? I love the look of the new Sentinel also

DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by anthdan View Post
    I can get a good deal on a custom built 2017 Smuggler. I am 58 and ride single track without doing much crazy. What would be the advantage of the 2018? I love the look of the new Sentinel also
    The geometry and overall concept of the bike.

Speed Balanced Geometry: Transition's Approach To Creating Better Mountain Bikes - Mountain Bikes Feature Stories - Vital MTB

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullit21 View Post
    Im 5'9" with crazy long arms and legs for my height - 32/33 dress shirt and 32" pants inseam and my medium 2016 smug is perfect for me. I also demoed a large and it felt a lot less playful, more point and shoot. You could go either way, but the medium will still be plenty stable for you with a lot more playfullness built in.

If you can wait, I would snag a new 2018 SBG smuggler instead. My only issue with the 2016 is that the tire clearance in the rear is pretty limited. I am assuming they fixed that with the new bikes. My 2016 is a rocket up hills, but the 2018 should pedal even better. Also for $4,999 you get a crazy good build with the 2018.
    Thanks for the info. Waiting for a 2018 isn't an option as a friend is selling a medium 2017. Only downside is he's quite far away so I'm hoping to get some insight into sizing before I make the journey to see the bike in person. There is a Transition dealer close to me but they don't sell Smugglers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hey mate, I'm 5'11 with a decent wingspan and I'm riding a medium 2016 Smuggler. For me the sizing is spot on! I have a 33 inch inseam for reference. Cheers