Mtbr's 2016 Winter Biking GearReviews and Roundups

FAT BIKES

WINTER APPAREL

TRAINERS

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

2015 Trans Am...down to 120mm travel

So, I have my eyes on a small 2015 Trans Am for a good price. But I really want less travel and less slack HA. Like say 120mm fork and 68.5-69 HA.

Would a 120mm travel fork do this for me or would it wreck the geo? Or can I get a Angleset to do this for me?

Thanks for all input.

Miggy

mtbr member
    Isn't the recommended fork a 130 anyway? 10 mm is nothing.

mtbr member
    I just looked at the geo specs for the 27.5 Trans Am and they give the A to C spec as 522 mm which is a 120 fork. This odd because on the complete bike comes with a 130 fork.

But anyway, it looks like your head angle will be 67.5 with a 120 fork. If you want an XC bike, this isn't it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks for the input.

I'm not looking for a strictly XC race bike, but more of a trail/aggressive XC hardtail. The Trans Am just happends to be available for a good price. I might just end up getting a Kona Explosif, but I haven't found any good deals on it as of late.

eci
    Get the trans am. i purchased a 29" medium frame, have a 120 revelation and its right about 68* head angle. personally i set mine up single speed and it is a complete blast.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MiggySawdust View Post
    Thanks for the input.

I'm not looking for a strictly XC race bike, but more of a trail/aggressive XC hardtail. The Trans Am just happends to be available for a good price. I might just end up getting a Kona Explosif, but I haven't found any good deals on it as of late.
    I agree with snowskils, it might not be the exact geo you are looking for but you would probably love it.

Rocks belong
    Also, keep in mind you can't directly compare HTA between a F/S and a hardtail (if, by chance, that's where you're getting your desired 68.5* HTA from).

When you sit on a hardtail and the fork sags, the HTA increases (as the rear end is rigid and doesn't squat/sag under your weight)

For example:

My Surly Instigator has a static 66.8* HTA, my Ibis HD3 has a static 66.5* HTA.

The Ibis 'feels' more slack than the Surly

My point? If you have a HTA that you like on a F/S, a hardtail will need to have a slacker (static, unsagged) HTA to have the same feel.

Disclaimer:
    This is merely discussing head tube angle (HTA). Clearly many other things have an effect on how a bike 'feels' and rides.

Disclaimer 2:
    If you're comparing HTA against a hardtail that you know and like, then ignore everything that I just typed above
    '15 Ibis HD3
    '15 Surly Instigator 650b & 26+
    '13 SC Juliana 650b'd (wife's)

Uncle
    This would lower the bottom bracket height. On some frames this could mean unwanted pedal strikes (couldn't ride my Yelli Screamy at 100mm fork for this reason), but I wouldn't expect this to be an issue on the TransAm.
    check out my Rockshox stuff for sale: http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...product=101005