Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5

Lets talk about the new geometry. Does anyone have one of these yet? The geometry looks perfect for me in the large. I've always prefered a top tube of around 24.5". Anytime I've gone shorter I feel a bit cramped with a stem under 80mm. My Redline Monoccog has always felt spot on with a 24.5" TT and 70mm stem. Every other bike I've owned I have struggled a bit with the fit. I'm 6'1.5" with a 36" inseam and shortish torso. I always end of with the seat high so that opens up the cockpit a bit. My arms are long too but not crazy. My current Yelli is a great bike but the xl feels a tad big.
    The new Trans am 29 has a TT of 24.7" which should be perfect with a 60mm stem. It seems very few bikes out there have a TT between 24.5 and 25. Anyhow, I'm interested to hear others' thoughts or experiences on this bike.

mtbr member
    Any one have the dimensions for the Gen 1 model so as to do a side by side comparison.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

cnut

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I agree, the geometry of this bike looks great for me, it's similar to the 2015 Kona Process I picked up not too long ago. My current singlespeed is really too short for me also. I'm 6' 1/2" with a longish torso. I'd also be looking at a 50 mm-60 mm stem that would be either a bit shorter or longer than the Process, comparing reach plus stem which I think is the best apples to apples measurement, especially if you like to think of fit from a standing neutral or attack position like I do. It's basically a feet to hands measurement. My biggest question is the dropouts. I'm not sure they look beefy enough to not suffer from slip issues which is key for singlespeed use. I had a lousy Trek rig at one point and ended up getting a new Superfly frame from Trek in exchange for the rig frame which I sold and bought a Misfit Dissent. That bike has super beefy bolts and sliders. This system might be just fine and looks cool, but I don't want to end up with a chain slip issue again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'd be buying the frame and swapping most of my parts over from the other bike. I have a newish 120 mm Revelation that is just waiting for the bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by robb_dj View Post
    My biggest question is the dropouts. I'm not sure they look beefy enough to not suffer from slip issues which is key for singlespeed use. This system might be just fine and looks cool, but I don't want to end up with a chain slip issue again.
    If you look closely at the pics on the website, there's bosses inside the stays for chain tensioners. Plus, you could likely switch the allen bolts on the drops with hex cap bolts to get a bit more torque if you do have slip issues. Might run in to some interference with the hoods but maybe not.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    If you look at the silver metallic frame in the picture, it has them inserted. I assume they come with. The lower bolt is my main issue I guess, it doesn't look that beefy, but I may just be misled by the crapness of the system of the Trek Rig. It had a plate on the outside of the frame, so the bolts could not actually dig into the frame at all, and the inner 'slider' dig not have threads, so there was a little nut inside that and there was play in the whole system so it could shift around. A small shift can make a decent difference in chain tension. As long as there is no slipping, I am pretty excited about the frame. A singlespeed that can't maintain chain tension though is kind of worthless.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I agree about hex cap bolts though. The Dissent has 6 mm hex cap bolts and they would be hard to strip and you can get alot of torque. That smaller lower bolt looks snap-able but again I could be way off in my thoughts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Can anyone link a picture of 2015 TransAm 29"? It doesn't appear on their website. It would be intresting to see how it is implemented near to BB area.

mtbr member
    Yeah, where is the 29" version? Is there still zero TA29ers in existence?

mtbr member
    I have the first gen TA29, no slippage issues when on SS, I am using Hadleys thru-axle hub.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by troh View Post
    Can anyone link a picture of 2015 TransAm 29"? It doesn't appear on their website. It would be intresting to see how it is implemented near to BB area.
    Quote Originally Posted by I.V.A. View Post
    Yeah, where is the 29" version? Is there still zero TA29ers in existence?
    i think this one...

2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-brighamrupptransam1.jpg

https://www.transitionbikes.com/2015...&StartRow=17#7

mtbr member
    No. That's not it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    oh... you're right... it's 2014.

Sir Shreds-A-Lot
    i really want one of these, just cant decide between the 27.5 and 29
    2016 Trek Fuel 9.8 27.5
    2017 Trek Domane SL6 Pro

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I put an order in for a Green 29er frame through a dealer since they are limited right now and that's the way I had to do it. Looks like late January or early February. And yep, no pics yet, I asked when I called Transition but they are the same colors 27.5 or 29, and they were able to answer my seat tube questions regarding seat post insertion depth. Never ordered a bike unseen before but if it looks like the 27.5 I'll be happy, and I'm basing ordering it off the geometry numbers anyway and a friend has the 2014 version and Transition bikes have a good rep.

mtbr member
    I really dig my 2014 29'r TransAm, I ordered it unseen, althjough I am jealous that the 2015 comes with a Pike.
    Quote Originally Posted by robb_dj View Post
    I put an order in for a Green 29er frame through a dealer since they are limited right now and that's the way I had to do it. Looks like late January or early February. And yep, no pics yet, I asked when I called Transition but they are the same colors 27.5 or 29, and they were able to answer my seat tube questions regarding seat post insertion depth. Never ordered a bike unseen before but if it looks like the 27.5 I'll be happy, and I'm basing ordering it off the geometry numbers anyway and a friend has the 2014 version and Transition bikes have a good rep.
    2007'ish Heckler and 2006 Chameleon
    If anyone needs the help of a prototype/custom machinist let me know.

mtbr member
    2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-transam.jpg

This is the only "picture" of 29" version I could find. Some seattube bending going on there as expected.

Robtre
    Subscribed. Has anyone bought the 27.5 version of this bike? I kinda want it.
    -rides bikes for fun.

FASTER, DAMIT, FASTER
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by robtre View Post
    Subscribed. Has anyone bought the 27.5 version of this bike? I kinda want it.
    I have one on order....but who knows when they will start shipping...
    DON'T EXTINGUISH THE STOKE.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    the first "real" trans am I've seen in photo: fresh news by transition UK on Facebook

very good, I'm waiting a Neon Green transam size M, cant wait!

strider
    Nov 2010

Ta 29

I have a TA 29 on order and the word from Transition is that they just arrived at the headquarters this week and should start shipping to US distributors next week as they get built.
    I can't wait to ride that whip on some SE trails. While post photos as soon as I get it in my hands.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I got a bill about my TA29 frame order with due dat Feb 25th. No sign about the frame itself, but it must be coming... ;-) No word about when my Scout will arrive. As I ordered via manfredbikes to opposite side of the globe than Transition headquarters, delivery time is bit longer than most of you are facing.

mtbr member

I got my large 29er frame yesterday I'll have some complete build pic's up soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Looks good! Next we start requesting ride report...

My frame is at local customs and parts at my garage. Rumor says that distributor is getting customs solved at Monday.

strider
    Nov 2010
    For the win! You got the first post of a 2015 TA 29 in hand. Looks great! I can't wait for mine to arrive any day now. I went with the same metallic grey color, but w/ the factory build plus a dropper. Can't wait to hear what you think if the ride. BTW are the decals removeable if so desired or under a clear coat?

mtbr member

My build

140 mm pikes
    125 mm reverb
    Race face turbine wheels
    Race face turbine clincher 30t crank
    Easton haven 50mm stem
    Easton carbon havoc bars
    Xtr cassette with one up components 42t expander sprocket
    X9 shifter and rear mech
    Hope stealth x4 black brakes
    Hope headset
    Hope bottom bracket

Last edited by Keithmck; 02-19-2015 at 12:00 PM.

mtbr member

Had a little blast out today. Just enough to get a feel for the bike. All I'll say is it doesn't handle or ride like a 29er. Very agile. Only issue was the rear adjustable stays kept on coming loose. All sorted with a little lock tight .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rvercoe View Post
    For the win! You got the first post of a 2015 TA 29 in hand. Looks great! I can't wait for mine to arrive any day now. I went with the same metallic grey color, but w/ the factory build plus a dropper. Can't wait to hear what you think if the ride. BTW are the decals removeable if so desired or under a clear coat?
    no the decals are under the clear coat

strider
    Nov 2010

Climbing

Quote Originally Posted by Keithmck View Post
    Had a little blast out today. Just enough to get a feel for the bike. All I'll say is it doesn't handle or ride like a 29er. Very agile. Only issue was the rear adjustable stays kept on coming loose. All sorted with a little lock tight .

I'm figuring it's a blast on the twistys and the downs, but any thoughts on the climbs?

mtbr member

Seems good but I haven't took it up any long extended ups yet. I'll be out Sunday and I'll let you know

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Did you just go for a 140mm fork or run it past Transition first as I see the frame is designed around a 120mm?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunzl View Post
    Did you just go for a 140mm fork or run it past Transition first as I see the frame is designed around a 120mm?
    no i just went for it. I'm running them with 30% sag and the frame sits nice. I wont be flying 20ft through the air on this bike and i only weigh 80kg all geared up so i cant really see an issues with pushing the front end up a little.
    Last edited by Keithmck; 02-23-2015 at 04:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Fair enough, it was more whether it does anything funny to the geometry although I suspect I am over analysing tiny angle changes.

How are you getting on with it? Very tempted to get myself one to replace my long gone yelli screamy.

mtbr member
    seems very agile and fun to ride.nothing like my previous 29er(orange clockwork) which was more of an xc bike. ive got the rear stays set to the min which help. its no light weight bike but haven't really noticed that as an issue

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I am interested in the shortest distance from rear tire to the seat stays as this seems a bit narrow. Would be great if you coulf measure it.
    The TransAm seems perfect for me but this specific point may be a weakness....

strider
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tobiwan View Post
    I am interested in the shortest distance from rear tire to the seat stays as this seems a bit narrow. Would be great if you coulf measure it.
    The TransAm seems perfect for me but this specific point may be a weakness....
    The Transition site says the chainstays are 418mm at their shortest for both the 27.5 and 29.

strider
    Nov 2010
    I was told that the 2015 TA's are designed to accommodate 120-140mm forks. In my experience for every +20mm of travel on the fork it seems to decrease the head-angle 1 degree. I am taking the middle ground and building mine up with a Pike set to 130mm. I hope to have it out for a ride by Thursday and will report back with thoughts and pics.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Keithmck View Post
    My build

140 mm pikes
    125 mm reverb
    Race face turbine wheels
    Race face turbine clincher 30t crank
    Easton haven 50mm stem
    Easton carbon havoc bars
    Xtr cassette with one up components 42t expander sprocket
    X9 shifter and rear mech
    Hope stealth x4 black brakes
    Hope headset
    Hope bottom bracket

How do you like those RF Turbine wheels? They seem like a really solid value...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Quote Originally Posted by rvercoe View Post
    The Transition site says the chainstays are 418mm at their shortest for both the 27.5 and 29.
    Yes I know. I am talking about the closest distance of Thema rear tires to the Seat stays. This is approx 30 cm above THW bottom bracket. Thema question is which damages the rear wheel does habe to still rotate properly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Yes I know. I am talking about the closest distance of Thema rear tires to the Seat stays. This is approx 30 cm above THW bottom bracket. Thema question is which damages the rear wheel does habe to still rotate properly.
    Sorry for the mistakes ... T9

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dejock View Post
    How do you like those RF Turbine wheels? They seem like a really solid value...
    no issues with them so far and i got them for a killer price from crc

strider
    Nov 2010
    I just got a first quick ride on my new TA 29 and it is a blast! I expected it to rip the downs, but I am totally impressed with how well it climbs as well. I was so sure that I would need a stem longer than the stock 45mm that I preordered a 70mm to have on hand once I got the bike. Nope, the 45mm stem and 760mm low-rise bars are perfect for the longer top-tube geometry to keep the front end planted and the short chainstays keep the rear under full power whether sitting or standing on climbs. I have to earn my descents with equal parts climbing and this bike is perfection. Excellent job by Transition on nailing the GEO on the latest TransAms.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Let me brag about my new TransAm29 L-size frame looks well proportioned to my eyes.
    2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-wp_20150301_12_48_44_pro.jpg
    I installed 30t Hope retainer ring (narrow wide style) and looks like clearace would not be an issue with 32t. Even 34t might fit.
    2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-wp_20150226_11_30_19_pro.jpg2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-wp_20150301_12_50_17_pro.jpg2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-wp_20150301_12_50_29_pro.jpg
    Tire clearance at chainstays seems OK. I fitted 2.25" Maxxis Ardent to Ryde Trace Enduro rim (id=29mm) and there seems to be good gap between tire and chainstay.
    2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-wp_20150301_12_51_45_pro.jpg
    One issue is stil pending solution. As there is Hope T-rex 40t casette extender and Shimano XT-786 deraileur, there is no space for chain to move from cog to cog. Deraileur arm for cable comes very close to casette. I'm wondering, have I installed everything correctly? Shall I shim deraileur out by adding some spacers under it, or shall I take a Dremel and grind some material out of critical place. Or shall I switch to Sram.
    2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-wp_20150226_11_30_24_pro.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-wp_20150226_11_30_29_pro.jpg  

Last edited by troh; 03-17-2015 at 01:05 AM.

strider
    Nov 2010

Goatlink

One issue is stil pending solution. As there is Hope T-rex 40t casette extender and Shimano XT-986 deraileur, there is no space for chain to move from cog to cog. Deraileur arm for cable comes very close to casette. I'm wondering, have I installed everything correctly? Shall I shim deraileur out by adding some spacers under it, or shall I take a Dremel and grind some material out of critical place. Or shall I switch to Sram.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150226_11_30_24_Pro.jpg 
Views:	1111 
Size:	122.8 KB 
ID:	968642[/QUOTE]

I hear that this Goatlink by Wolftooth ($19) will fix that Shimano derailleur spacing problem and increase chain wrap for reduced cog wear as well.
    GoatLink ? wolftoothcomponents.com

Otherwise, switching to SRAM will also solve the issue as they have a better angle of clearance. But that is a much more costly solution.

strider
    Nov 2010
    There is 15mm of clearance both the narrowest clearance points at the chainstay bridge and at the closest point midway up the seat tube. That is with a 2.25 nobbynick on a 23mm wide i23 rim with the chainstays set to their shortest. I think I could probably get away with a 2.4 in there without pivoting the axle back at all.

strider
    Nov 2010

Rear wheel clearance

There is 15mm of clearance both the narrowest clearance points at the chainstay bridge and at the closest point midway up the seat tube. That is with a 2.25 nobbynick on a 23mm wide i23 rim with the chainstays set to their shortest. I think I could probably get away with a 2.4 in there without pivoting the axle back at all.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Any more trouble with the dropouts slipping? I just bought the frame and built it up as a singlespeed for now. I took my bolts to 20 n/m, the lower one was making me nervous as I got close. But on my last SS I started at 18 n/m, went to 24 eventually and the shop had to warranty a wheel for me and tightened my chain up a bit while it was in (unasked) and I checked their tension by lowering it a touch and taking it back up and it was 34, but that bike had some huge bolts. I actually emailed Transition to see if they had any torque recommendations on those and they said they would and they would let me know.

My only disappointment was I had to use a half link with my preferred gearing and what I had on hand. I went with the new Turbine Cinch cranks with a direct mount 32 narrow-wide and that won't work with a half-link I discovered, so I am using my old cranks for now with a new old stock race face SS ring that is non NW. I may end up doing a 1x10. I did tell race face they should make some non-nw direct mount rings and they said they were actually considering it. But I may find I like gears on this bike. It has a dropper and a 120 mm after all. I see now clearance issues with the tires by the way. Not even close. 2.2 Captain Control on Arch EX rims which are 21 internal. I wish I had 23 internal like my Kona but I did ding one of those WTB ST i23 rims right away, hoping it was just bad luck and not soft walls. They are a little rounded it looks like to me which could make they fold a bit easier.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast