Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    mtbr member

Shameless Plug: TransAM 29 in medium for sale at classifieds section

Hello, I apologize if this is not permitted, I just wanted to share with the group that I am selling my TransAM29. Details are at the classifieds section or follow link below.

Transition TransAM29 - Buy and Sell Mountain Bikes and Accessories

Thank you folks!
    Last edited by Fatboy Joe; 08-02-2016 at 05:49 PM. Reason: editing link
    Mid Drive is the future of e-cargo bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Here is my 2014 TA 27.5 in medium. I freaking love this bike! I bought the frame/fork set and built up the way I wanted.

mtbr member
    Add a dropper to your TA! I rode it for a week without one... it was great... rode it ever since with one, would never go back!

I could actually say this about any bike, but this one steps up a whole lot with the switch.
    Like a fart in a mitten...

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by l'oiseau View Post
    Add a dropper to your TA! I rode it for a week without one... it was great... rode it ever since with one, would never go back!

I could actually say this about any bike, but this one steps up a whole lot with the switch.
    2nded, it makes a world of difference on an aggressive bike when ridden aggressively.

I'm waiting on yet another new dropper after now having had bad experiences with 3 of the larger brands that make them. Time to try a new Fox dropper, lol! Maybe it's just time to dish out the cash for a Fall Line, but meh. Getting tempting though as the Fox 150x30.9 has been on order for closing in on 2 months with no real word or any sort of update other than "we'll have more when they come in".

Also makes me long for the simplicity and rock solidness of an oldschool Gravity post.

PS. It is very frustrating that I've ridden thousands of miles over the past couple years starting at hugely greater weight than I am at now and only had one mild dropper post issue that was replaced quickly. And now that I've dropped a huge amount of weight I've encounter 3 total failures from 3 separate brands in the course of 6-8 months. Talking a difference of 150+ish lbs from then to now... It just doesn't make any sense to me... Sorry for the derail! lol

mtbr member
    A small dropper derail...

I have a GD turbo on my other bike. It's the two position model. While I like the simplicity and reliability (thus far) of it, it doesn't compare to a fully adjustable hydro model.

I have a Transfer on the TA. So far it works fine. What I like is the intermediate settings and ease of actuation. I don't always fully drop it depending on the section, sometimes I'll drop in an inch and it gives me the movement I need and I can sit really quick to get traction. The GD I have doesn't do that. Although it's an option, it would be more cumbersome with the locking mechanism.

The actuation force is much higher as well. While a minor gripe and I should just HTFU, it really does make a difference in my riding. The position and ease of actuation of the Transfer makes me adjust it where using the GD would be a little cumbersome.

The GD is nice if you want A mode or B mode and have lots of time to think about the change. The Transfer (or any hydro infinitely adjustable post with easy actuation) allows you do a quick drop to give you more rear wheel absorption for any little obstacle you might come across. Because my knees are my rear suspension on a HT, I feel this is HUGE. I can ride so much smoother and cleaner with a hydro post.

I won't ditch my GD, but for the TA - I want the added performance of a hydro post.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    A small dropper derail...

I have a GD turbo on my other bike. It's the two position model. While I like the simplicity and reliability (thus far) of it, it doesn't compare to a fully adjustable hydro model.

I have a Transfer on the TA. So far it works fine. What I like is the intermediate settings and ease of actuation. I don't always fully drop it depending on the section, sometimes I'll drop in an inch and it gives me the movement I need and I can sit really quick to get traction. The GD I have doesn't do that. Although it's an option, it would be more cumbersome with the locking mechanism.

The actuation force is much higher as well. While a minor gripe and I should just HTFU, it really does make a difference in my riding. The position and ease of actuation of the Transfer makes me adjust it where using the GD would be a little cumbersome.

The GD is nice if you want A mode or B mode and have lots of time to think about the change. The Transfer (or any hydro infinitely adjustable post with easy actuation) allows you do a quick drop to give you more rear wheel absorption for any little obstacle you might come across. Because my knees are my rear suspension on a HT, I feel this is HUGE. I can ride so much smoother and cleaner with a hydro post.

I won't ditch my GD, but for the TA - I want the added performance of a hydro post.
    Ya, the GD is definitely limited in features and style and a little bit limited in functionality compared to the new hydro's but they were always super rugged and dependable.

Hopefully the Fox Transfer will come in soon and will be problem free. I definitely enjoy the QoL improvements that the newer hydros have over the old cables they just come with a lot more possible points of failure along with the QoL upgrades. Funny thing is I didn't have any issues with them for the most part up until very recently.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Has anybody tried to slacken the HA with an angle set? I ride the TransAM 29 with a 140 mm fork, HA is around 66,6 unsagged but sagged it is a lot steeper. I would like to try it with an 1,5 angleset to keep the HA around 67 when sagged.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-img_5381.jpg
    Its now 30.5 lbs of glory...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jack_steel View Post
    Has anybody tried to slacken the HA with an angle set? I ride the TransAM 29 with a 140 mm fork, HA is around 66,6 unsagged but sagged it is a lot steeper. I would like to try it with an 1,5 angleset to keep the HA around 67 when sagged.
    I did it
    Installed a Works headset with -2 EC44-EC44. Head angle is 64,5 without sag (which says nothing for a hardtail), with sag it should be around 66. Now the bike feels like it should feel for my preferences. Probably bit shorter in reach (because of the headset offset), but handlebar height is still the same - i use less spacers now. In my eyes it climbs better then before, because the front wheel is not so floppy in technical uphills (I have the 51 mm fork offset). And it descents a lot better, particularly in steep technical terrain (head angle stays slacker when the fork compresses).

2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-img_20161008_154259.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Looking to buy 2015/16 M size Transam 29 frame. If anyone has a frame in good condition let me know. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jpo1 View Post
    Looking to buy 2015/16 M size Transam 29 frame. If anyone has a frame in good condition let me know. Thanks!
    I have a new one only taken on street around house, 2016 med blue/frame. I have 3 hard tails and all must go, having back problems at 55 years old.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-p1070516.jpg  

mtbr member
    Buy that bike - you won't regret it. I can't stop riding mine and everytime I do, I love it!

One minor thing to look out for is the rear dropouts shifting on the brake side. Because the set screw only allows them not to slide forward and the braking force is in the opposite sense. That one can slide back, cock up the rear wheel and make some bad noise. Ask me how I know.

I reapplied fresh blue loctite and torqued them good, and no issues since. But the stuff they use when they ship, which is blue, but not the same, wasn't strong enough for me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Buy that bike - you won't regret it. I can't stop riding mine and everytime I do, I love it!

One minor thing to look out for is the rear dropouts shifting on the brake side. Because the set screw only allows them not to slide forward and the braking force is in the opposite sense. That one can slide back, cock up the rear wheel and make some bad noise. Ask me how I know.

I reapplied fresh blue loctite and torqued them good, and no issues since. But the stuff they use when they ship, which is blue, but not the same, wasn't strong enough for me.
    Thank you for the info! Does Transition have recommended torque numbers for the set screws? I have read about this before, did transition offer any solution to the issue?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    I have a new one only taken on street around house, 2016 med blue/frame. I have 3 hard tails and all must go, having back problems at 55 years old.
    Your inbox is full can't pm you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpo1 View Post
    Thank you for the info! Does Transition have recommended torque numbers for the set screws? I have read about this before, did transition offer any solution to the issue?
    I did not contact Transition. If it persisted, I would have, but new loctite fixed it and I've been pounding the bike for months.

I did not torque to a spec, just good and tight. I think the issue is mainly vibration and force direction. If the screws stay tight, the dropout doesn't move.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Sorry about that try now!!

I had same little problem with set screws coming loose on my other gray TransAm I did the same thing I'oiseau did, problem solved. I almost lost the set screw!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-p1070235.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I actually lost one of my screws and had to get the uk importer to send a new one (which they were super good sorting out) the mech hanger bit on the drive side that the rear axle screws into just worked loose on mine in the last few days too - it's worth checking all those little bolts regularly, guess the bike encourages you to ride so hard that stuff works loose!

So stoked with my trans am 27.5. Rode mine today and took a KOM climbing and took a couple of seconds off my PR I set on a FS down some local woodsy single track. All good until I clipped a tree stump and totalled my mech later in the ride!

eci
    Here is my updated trans am 29 SS
    26lbs 13 ounces

Medium Frame
    120 Yari
    XO carbon Cranks
    Specialized Roval Traverse Fattie wheels
    XT Brakes
    Easton Haven Bars/Stems
    KS Lev 30.9 x 150 post
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-image1.jpg  

aaarrrggghh!
    Sweet build, defies gravity. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Whoops...double post.
    CADRE RACING

Singlespeeder Powered by Veggies
    http://misfitpsycles.com/

mtbr member
    Hey Jack Steel...what size fork are you running with the angleset and are you still running the same set up? Thanks!
    CADRE RACING

Singlespeeder Powered by Veggies
    http://misfitpsycles.com/

mtbr member
    2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-sstransam.jpg

Geared 30x20.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Team TransAM!

What's the largest tire you've stuffed in the back of your bike? Think a 2.6 on i30 rims would fit?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    the TA is gone from transition's website. discontinued, or is a v3 with plus tire compatibility on the way?

mtbr member
    I think they are redesigning it. The current model has dropouts and cable routing which aren't the best and besides everything is semi chubby now. Gotta keep up with the neighbors!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Is that an Onza Ibex on the back? Is it the 2.4?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Is anyone running the Onza Ibex 2.4 on their TA29? If so, do you have any clearance issues?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebeat007 View Post
    Hey Jack Steel...what size fork are you running with the angleset and are you still running the same set up? Thanks!
    Hi, sorry for the late answer, I didn't get a notification. I have my fork set at 140 mm and yes, I still ride the same set up with the angle set. Super happy!

Quote Originally Posted by wildebeest5 View Post
    Is anyone running the Onza Ibex 2.4 on their TA29? If so, do you have any clearance issues?
    I ride the Onza Ibex 2.4 and I don't have any clearence issues.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jack_steel View Post
    Hi, sorry for the late answer, I didn't get a notification. I have my fork set at 140 mm and yes, I still ride the same set up with the angle set. Super happy!

I ride the Onza Ibex 2.4 and I don't have any clearence issues.
    Thanks Jack : )

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I just got myself a TransAM 27,5. Just as a bike to play around with.

2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-dsc_0865.jpg

How wide tires fit in the rear? 2,5? 2,8? Looks like about 10mm on each side of 2,3 Minion SS. It would be fun if I could get a plus wheelset that I could run on both my Process 111 and this bike

mtbr member
    This is a Frankenstein la carte:

-29er frame
    -27.5+ front
    -27.5 rear
    -Ugly saddle for a comfy ride
    -Specs learned from other builds

There is even a video I just uploaded.

https://youtu.be/R1ziFYJJtyk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-img_20170313_184928399_hdr.jpg  

2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-img_20170313_184954492_hdr.jpg  

2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-img_20170313_184937047_hdr.jpg  

Transition TransAM 29 (made 27.5 "Plus")
    Cannondale F5000 Yellow :P

mtbr member
    Hi Helmetless,
    how's the ride?
    My wife is riding the gen 1 small frame 29er TA. I was thinking of upgrading/changing the wheelset to 27.5, to shave some weight. not sure if there will be weight savings if I go down that route.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456