Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    What size & color? And complete bike or frame?
    X-Large... any color available, complete bike or frame, depends what's available here in Europe.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunzl View Post
    Did you just go for a 140mm fork or run it past Transition first as I see the frame is designed around a 120mm?
    Hi all
    Just a little update on how my trans am is running. I’ve recently increased the pikes bottomless tokens to 4 as the only drawback to running 140’s seems that the fork tends to dive too much for my liking. Simple to change and has cured issue completely.
    The x1 group set it working faultlessly which runs smoother than the original one up 42t I used for the build.
    I have changed tyres due to a rock killing my rear purgatory and moved to a nobby nic/hans dampf combo too. Larger volume works well.
    No more issues with sliding dropouts too so still a very happy owner.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jack_steel View Post
    This one?! Awesome! Looks like a L!
    Nah, it's an XL 29.

Here is another photo from this morning before it got muddy again in the afternoon.

2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-mtbr-transam.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2013
    2016 colors will be blue and grey. Would like to know which blue...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Does anybody know if a rear wheel with a Specialized 142+ hub will fit on a TransAM? The difference between 142 and 142+ is explained here:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8227/8...93f6e398_b.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    One thing to consider is the Satori is a full suspension bike so the rear shock sags with the fork. With a hardtail, you might find it doesn't feel as high.

Rocks belong
    Incase you were wondering, the 2015 TA29 is not B+ friendly. Way too tight at the chainstays. Really unfortunate. Kinda disappointing.

Anybody wanna buy a brand new TA29 frame? Gray, large. Has Cane Creek 40 tapered headset installed.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    What tires size have you checked? Without measuring it I would habe thought that 2.8 should fit!?

mtbr member
    Incase you were wondering, the 2015 TA29 is not B+ friendly. Way too tight at the chainstays. Really unfortunate. Kinda disappointing.

Anybody wanna buy a brand new TA29 frame? Gray, large. Has Cane Creek 40 tapered headset installed.
    Really? You bought a bike designed specifically for 29 wheels and you're disappointed that B+ don't fit? Well that wins the award for the stupisist thing I've heard today.

Why don't you just ride it the way out was designed? It's awesome.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by tobiwan View Post
    What tires size have you checked? Without measuring it I would habe thought that 2.8 should fit!?
    WTB 2.8 on Blunt35

The last generation TA29 had gobs of clearance

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by Yippee_Ki_YayMF View Post
    Really? You bought a bike designed specifically for 29 wheels and you're disappointed that B+ don't fit? Well that wins the award for the stupisist thing I've heard today.
    they fit and rode great on my old 2012 TA29... So the fact that Transition reduced rear tire clearance for the 2015 redesign is the stupidest thing I've heard today. It's an AM HT, you need to be able to run a 2.4 Ardent or Goma out back.

But thanks for being a d!ck about it

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    You can run an ardent 2.4 without problems

Rocks belong
    On a 25-29mm internal width rim? That'd be encouraging

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    In a 25mm (infernal) rim

Rocks belong
    Ok. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    No Problem my friend

Bro Mountainbiker
    They redesigned the geometry for 2015. Shorter chainstays typically means tighter fit with tires. It's all on their website as well.

Anyway, I have a black 27.5 frame on the way. Should be here Friday.
    Gonna build it up with
    LB 35mm wide carbon hoops on Hope Pro II hubs
    Pike RCT3 at either 140 or 150mm
    KS Lev Ti dropper
    Enve 800mm Downhill Bars
    Thomson 50mm stem
    Singlespeed with Jeff Jones m960 cranks with a black powdercoat.

Gonna be murdered out. If I really like the way it rides, I'll get the frame custom painted.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    they fit and rode great on my old 2012 TA29... So the fact that Transition reduced rear tire clearance for the 2015 redesign is the stupidest thing I've heard today. It's an AM HT, you need to be able to run a 2.4 Ardent or Goma out back.

But thanks for being a d!ck about it
    Being a "dick" is being "disappointed" that you bought a vanilla icecream that doesn't taste like chocolate.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    So talking of shortened stays, what large volume tyre now fits on the 27.5 and the 29?

mtbr member
    I've got a 2.35 Hans Dampf on the rear at the moment. Have had a 2.4 Ardent as well. More than enough clearance for regular tyres, which they were designed around.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I also measured the clearance between the chainstays and I am pretty sure that a 2.8 wtb will fit. ...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Just to Städte clearly: 27,5 x 2,8

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Snozz View Post
    So talking of shortened stays, what large volume tyre now fits on the 27.5 and the 29?
    My 27.5 has a 2.5 in tire slammed forward.
    i think the 29s have a tighter fit

Rocks belong
    I also measured the clearance between the chainstays and I am pretty sure that a 2.8 wtb will fit. ...
    Its very tight even on a Blunt35 rim

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    How mich space do you have in each side and to the Seat stays?

Rocks belong
    Seat stays are no problem at all.

The chainstay clearance gets narrower as you move backwards.

There's a few mm of clearance on both sides. It would be OK for dry trails, but probably not for muddy conditions.

EDIT: I mic'd it out last night and the chainstay clearance at the widest part of the TB 2.8 casing is ~ 73mm

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Yup, that´s what I have heard also. So there should be ~2 - 3 mm of clearance....

I dropped today my 29er Fork from 140mm to 130mm. Why? On steep climbs the front wheel got light and there was the need of balancing on the bike which is pretty hard when you are on technical climbs. So I tried to improve the climbing abilities. And yes - goal achived. And I have to say significantly achieved. I had 0 problems with a light front wheel. On the downs it is slightly noticeable that the position is a bit more XC oriented but descending is sill outstanding on the bike. So form me it seems lik 130mm is the sweet spot if the TransAM shall be taken as an All-Mountain-Allround bike. But don´t get me wrong - I also have ridden the TransAM now for 3 months with 140mm and that was also going very well.

Rocks belong
    67* (with a 130 fork) is still pretty slack for a HT 29er. IMO, that's the best angle... (I had my old Mason at several different angles... from 66.3-67.5* and felt 67* was the best compromise)

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    So, was in the Alps today to do a quick and diry tour. A 4km short Uphill with 650m of height change let you feel your legs
    Again, the 130mm fork on the TA 29" was perfect. Steepest part on this climb is somewhere slightly above 30% (on a street) and the front wheel got just a very little light feeling - something that you can change easily by changing our body position. The down was also on the steeper side with lot´s of roots and rock sections. And I am still blown away about the capabilities of this bike and the 29 wheels.
    I mean I know that the bike is perfect for my home trails but that it handles the rough stuff also with that ease is really good to know - I like!
    Next time I try to do some pics that this fred gets a bit more colour.

mtbr member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member

mtbr member

2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5

Still running the pikes at 140mm with no issues

Rocks belong
    Could someone who owns a 27.5 TransAM do me a huge favor?

Could you measure the tire clearance width about 13-13.5" forward of the drop out? (Which should be the widest spot anyway.)

I'm curious if the TA27.5 would actually be the better candidate for a B+ conversion. The TA27.5 is listed to clear a 2.5" tire, whereas the TA29 is only listed to clear a 2.3" tire (people here have cleared an Ardent 2.4)

I ask is that the 27.5 and the 29 frames both have the same 418mm chainstay length. The 29 has a slight bend to the seat tube (near the BB), but the frames look very similar:

(from page 1 of this thread)

2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-951049d1419864694-2015-trans-am-29-27-5-transam.jpg

TA29
    (from Keithmck's post on page 2 in this thread)

2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-968644d1425207696-2015-trans-am-29-27-5-wp_20150301_12_48_44_pro.jpg

TA27.5
    (from Transition's website)

2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-bike_complete_transam_1.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Could someone who owns a 27.5 TransAM do me a huge favor?

Could you measure the tire clearance width about 13-13.5" forward of the drop out? (Which should be the widest spot anyway.)

I'm curious if the TA27.5 would actually be the better candidate for a B+ conversion. The TA27.5 is listed to clear a 2.5" tire, whereas the TA29 is only listed to clear a 2.3" tire (people here have cleared an Ardent 2.4)

I ask is that the 27.5 and the 29 frames both have the same 418mm chainstay length. The 29 has a slight bend to the seat tube (near the BB), but the frames look very similar:
    I'm dying to know the same thing. I want to build a B+ TransAm using a 27.5 frame and I can't wait for Transition to build one. Ready to buy one as soon as I know if the frame will fit. I'm with you, thinking that the quoted 2.5" will fit a 2.8 in dry conditions where mud isn't an issue.

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    Here's my TA29 in XL. As some have mentioned above I found the stack a bit high so used a Syntace Flatforce 44 stem. I love how it feels XC when I need it but can devour tech stuff with the dropper.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Nice looking built. I am really interested how much the steam is reducing the stack? Any idea?

Rocks belong
    Stack height is 27mm vs. standard 40mm.... so 13mm reduction in stack height

mtbr member
    Fit an Ardent 2.4 with Derby rims (29mm internal) on my XL 29er TA.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by sloonz View Post
    I'm dying to know the same thing. I want to build a B+ TransAm using a 27.5 frame and I can't wait for Transition to build one. Ready to buy one as soon as I know if the frame will fit. I'm with you, thinking that the quoted 2.5" will fit a 2.8 in dry conditions where mud isn't an issue.
    I emailed Transition and asked. Surprise, surprise, they haven't responded. Just like they haven't responded to anyone in this thread who was having issues with their dropouts slipping.\

Canfield, on the other hand, responded within hours with chainstay clearance dims and giving the thumbsup for B+ use.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I am pretty sure that a WTB Trailblazer 27,5 x 2,8 will fit. Sure, the rim itself is also important. I will do this test next week but the numbers say it's working.

Canfield is a mich smaller company. Here in Europa only a very limited group will know Them. In comparison Transition is mich more common...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I am pretty sure that a WTB Trailblazer 27,5 x 2,8 will fit. Sure, the rim itself is also important. I will do this test next week but the numbers say it's working.

Canfield is a mich smaller company. Here in Europa only a very limited group will know Them. In comparison Transition is mich more common...
    Can't wait to hear the news tobiwan. Thanks for checking the fit. It would be great if you could post which frame (27.5/29er) and what year the frame is. Also, what the measurements are on the fame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I will try my very besteht!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    How are you all digging the longer 2015 geo? Is it still pretty nimble and whippy with the short back end? I'm considering a TA 275 as a second bike / foul weather bike / something to make the mellower rides a little more fun. (I happen to have a full spare 27.5 parts kit.) My main ride is a YT Capra. It has identical reach dimensions to the new transams but is ultra slack and has a pretty long wb. It's fun and great for crushing the proverbial steep gnar but makes the more twisty/pumpy xc leaning trails a little uneventful.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    @dromind: The new geometrie is what you need - and it is also not too extreme. I am riding a 29er TA and still would describe this bike as playful.

@ all: 2.8 WTB Trailblazer fits easiliy in the TA 29 (2015). Pictures will follow soon - also a short ride report.
    Tobi

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    @dromind: The new geometrie is what you need - and it is also not too extreme. I am riding a 29er TA and still would describe this bike as playful.

@ all: 2.8 WTB Trailblazer fits easiliy in the TA 29 (2015). Pictures will follow soon - also a short ride report.
    Tobi
    Good news! I was hoping you were on a 27.5 though. We might have to assume that if it fits the 29er that it'll fit the 27.5. Maybe I'll just have to take my chances...

Rocks belong
    Tobi
    Interesting. I tried it in a 2015 TA29 frame (WTB 2.8 on a Blunt35) and yes, it did fit... but no, I didn't want to run it with that little clearance. (For comparison, my old DB Mason frame had significantly more clearance).

BTW: Transition emailed me back and said no dice on the WTB 2.8 27.5 TransAM.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Maybe a 27,5+ tire will fit in the TA29 frame?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    So, here some info´s about the 650b+ Test
    Bike: TransAM 29", modell 2015
    Tire: WTB Trailblazer 27,5" in 2.8"
    Rim: 28mm outer diameter

Technical wise:
    This combination fits pretty well in the frame with approx 0,9cm space on the left and right side. The rim is on the narrow side as I just borrowed it from a friend. If I would proceed with this tire size, than I would choose a rim between 30 - 32mm OD.

2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-cimg7434.jpg2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-cimg7435.jpg2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-cimg7451.jpg

Performance
    I have to say that I am definitely one of the more aggressive riders. I want to be fast on the trail and as faster I go on the downs the more I like it. Therefore my aim was to get some more comfort on the backwheel with the Trailblazer as it seemed to have a larger volume. My standard tire on the 29" is the Maxxis Minion DHR II in 2.4". Compared the DHR II with the Trailblazer, the TB does have a higher volume. I measured a rubber height at the TB of approx. 56mm in comparison to approx 49mm on the DHR II.
    2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-cimg7440.jpg2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-cimg7441.jpg

The diameter of the 29" wheelset was approx 740mm compared to 715mm of the 650B+ - so significantly smaller.

So my thinking was to optimize the geometry a bit too the low and slack side and getting a more comfortable back wheel.
    I set the air pressure to 1,6bar (I ride 2,0 bar on the 29" wheelset) and went out for a first test ride - and even if the ride was short I do know that I will stay at 29". Why? Like mentioned I really like it fast and I immediately noticed when going fast I will get a wobbeling feeling at the rear. I was aware of this before the ride but I realized during riding that I just can´t control it. It was like riding a full suspension bike with a much too fast rebound.
    Don´t get me wrong: I did notice the better traction, I did notice the more comfortable feeling but both changes weren´t that huge that I would take the disadvantage with the control.
    Just my 2 cents
    Tobi

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Great job Tobiwan, thanks for the detailed review and pics. Looks like lots of clearance. Would probably be a tight fit with a 40-45mm rim. Most guys only talk of traction and comfort so your point about less control was good to mention. Running closer to 1.2bar might help with less bounce in the rear.

Let's see the whole bike....

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-cimg7443.jpg

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast