Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Rocks belong
    28mm external isn't giving the tire a shot and is what is getting the tire to fit.

You're probably 22-23mm internal width. I tried a Blunt35 (30mm internal) and the clearance was tight.

I think I measured the chainstay clearance at ~73-75 mm where the casing is the widest.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    btw: The TA is a great package of bike!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I wonīt jump into rim width discussion as there are too many different riders out there and nobody is differing in their feedbacks about their riding styles. I mentioned what I wanted to achieve and for this task a small rim does not have any negative effects. But it is for sure good to know, that on wider rims the TA will get a problem with this tire.

Rocks belong
    Which is why I mentioned it

Glad to see you're stoked with your TA!

BTW: I really wanted to keep mine, but the rear chainstay clearance is what killed it for me. I really wanted the option to run a proper B+ rear wheel/tire and was hoping to gain an improvement in tire clearance over my old Diamondback Mason... the TA29 was actually the opposite, with tire clearance (for B+ use, mind you) being tighter than the Mason.

I had both frames at the same time, so I was able to do a back-to-back fit test.

For 29er tires, the TA29 did offer more knob clearance than my old DB Mason.

Again, to reiterate, it was the casing width (on a 30mm internal rim) on a Blunt35 that had me concerned. The tightest spot was the drive side, where the chainstay 'gusset' is welded to the chainstay tube. That junction was right with the widest spot in the WTB 2.8 casing.

I really wanted to keep the TA... I even debated clearancing the frame with a DIY tube pinch, but there was nothing I could do where that drive side chainstay weld was.

So I ended up selling my Mason and my TA... thinking I might have to bite the Boost148 bullet to have the flexibility that I seek.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    So I ended up selling my Mason and my TA... thinking I might have to bite the Boost148 bullet to have the flexibility that I seek.
    I think I would rather suffer the cost of an EPO (142 with pics showing a b+ tire), go custom or look into a Honzo than catch that bullet with my teeth. I'll shoot you some measurements once I get my 2016.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-bike2016_frame_transam29_2.jpg

So im currently looking to start a TransAM build. They have blue and this gunmetal for the images...but it says orange and black are the only colors. I would like to get my hands on the gunmetal...are these old colors or new for the 2016 models?

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    I think I would rather suffer the cost of an EPO (142 with pics showing a b+ tire), go custom or look into a Honzo than catch that bullet with my teeth. I'll shoot you some measurements once I get my 2016.
    I hear you. It's not really what I wanted to do.. but it does seem to be the way the market is heading.

I demo'd a Salsa Pony Rustler last week and the frame clearance with 3.0" WTB Bridgers was amazing. Keep in mind the Pony Rustler has the EXACT same rear triangle as the Horsethief.

EDIT: BTW - the gun metal is sexy in person

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Images in Transition TA29 web pages don't look like 2015 frames or colors.

If you look closer, you'll notie that 2015 frame had a bend in seat tube. Bend is quite close to BB, but it clearly is there. In 2016 frame pictures there are no notch there. I'm just wondering, how rear tyre will fit. Surely they have done their design work, but still. The gap between seat tube and rear tyre is small when dropout are set to shortest chain stay.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hi guys, I'm looking forward to receive my TransAM XL frame in the next 2 months. What do you think about installing an angle set to slacken the head angle for another 1 degree together with a 130 mm or 140 mm fork? There is a EC44/EC44 type headset available made from Works Components in UK. EC type headset will raise the front for about 13 mm. Head angle will be 66 degrees with 130 mm fork (unsagged) and 65,6 degrees with 140 mm fork. Your opinion is appreciated! Thank you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MiggySawdust View Post
    I'm kind of highjacking this post, but does anyone know where I can buy the new 2015 neon frame 27.5 (size small) online? No dealers close to me at all.

Thanks
    If you haven't found one yet Merlin is blowing out small and medium neon green 2015 27.5 frames for $446.66 shipped to the US free.

Transition TransAM 27.5 Mountain Bike Frame | Mountain Bike Frames | Merlin Cycles

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pigdog View Post
    If you haven't found one yet Merlin is blowing out small and medium neon green 2015 27.5 frames for $446.66 shipped to the US free.

Transition TransAM 27.5 Mountain Bike Frame | Mountain Bike Frames | Merlin Cycles
    Just ordered a medium Dark Gray, setting it up single speed. Going for 21.5-22 lbs

Uncle
    Quote Originally Posted by troh View Post
    ...2015 frame had a bend in seat tube. ... In 2016 frame pictures there are no notch there.
    Just received a Large 2016 TA29 in blue. Seat tube is bent 6" or so above the BB shell. It's heavy @ 7lbs 4oz for a large (including dropouts & hardware); the rear end is beefy with large dia. tubing stays. Tire clearance is excellent everywhere but the DS stay plate. It's not terrible there: I have a Rampage 2.35(ish) on ArchEX (23mm i.w.) rim, and there's ~12mm of clearance at three spots, and about 6mm of clearance to the side of the knobs at the plate.

FrameSaver is drying as we speak. Hope to get it mocked up for a test ride tomorrow. Looking forward to giving this thing a proper thrashing.
    Every rose has it's thorn.

enjoy the ear worm

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Really excited with my new 2016 build

2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-151031-1151_dsc_3643.jpg

2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-151031-1153_dsc_3647.jpg

2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-151031-1155_dsc_3649.jpg

2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-151031-1205_dsc_3675.jpg

2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-151031-1227_dsc_3693.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pigdog View Post

I just received my frame and had to pay 30 bucks broker fee to UPS, that sucked I had no idea about that!! Should have it built up soon!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-11377758_575534479282366_1759381853_n.jpg

I just built up one of the last merlin medium 275 frames. Super happy with it so far although it's so muddy around here it's difficult to compare strava times with my old cotic 26.

Feels really confident descending and I've failed a couple of muddy corners that have made me smile.

Gotta love transitions!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-12224525_515756148584785_1644270459_n.jpg

Just built pic, now has a reverb and bonty xr4 2.35 tyres which have acres of grip it seems

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    1st ride on Medium 29er single speed, built up with pedals at 24.78lbs. Very impressed with this bike, the pike on the front with Derby 35mm rim and Bontrager 2.30 xr4 tire and Maxxis Icon 2.35 rear great combo. People need to know about the Bont. tires from xr2, xr3 and xr4 all great tires, light, great sidewalls. Must get the team issue not the expert.

This bike really goes where you point it, climbs great, goes through rock gardens. The downs it's almost as fast as my FS bike, realyy glad I bought it, perfect geometry !!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-p1070226.jpg  

2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-p1070227.jpg  

Uncle
    Just had my first ride on a 2016 Large, up in the hills of Oakland, California (that's SF and the famed Mt. Tamalpais in the background).
    2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-20151126_081104.jpg

Built it up with a 120mm Pike, 1x10 (30t x 11-40) drivetrain, Reverb post, Arch EX hoops, and 800g knobbage. It's a bit heavier than my last bike (Yelli Screamy) at 29lbs, but the geometry & fit is far better for me - pedals uphill better while seated, feels a bit kinder when jumping to flat. The geo differences (longer reach & WB, steeper STA) equate to a great handling, comfortable, air-friendly rig despite being nearly 2" longer from axle to axle. I'm not a huge fan of adjustable drop outs because I don't foresee taking advantage of the adjustability. But the 142TA & hardware was rock solid, stiff, and thankfully silent.

Went this route after considering a Honzo AL frame. Honzo is a bit cheaper and lighter, but due to being Boost specific, I'd have needed a new rear wheel, crankset, BB and a 34.9mm seat post (or get a thickass shim made). With the TA29, I only needed to get the axle kit from Hadley to use my wheel set. Going to give this thing several good months of use to get familiar with the geo, see if it continues to grow on me. Eventually I want to get something custom built, and it just might be based on the TA29 geometry.
    Last edited by Entrenador; 12-03-2015 at 01:07 AM.

enjoy the ear worm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    1st ride on Medium 29er single speed, built up with pedals at 24.78lbs. Very impressed with this bike, the pike on the front with Derby 35mm rim and Bontrager 2.30 xr4 tire and Maxxis Icon 2.35 rear great combo. People need to know about the Bont. tires from xr2, xr3 and xr4 all great tires, light, great sidewalls. Must get the team issue not the expert.

This bike really goes where you point it, climbs great, goes through rock gardens. The downs it's almost as fast as my FS bike, realyy glad I bought it, perfect geometry !!

how tall are you and what is your inseam ? bike looks sweet !

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm 5'9.5, I could be in a large on this frame. May try a 50mm stem I have a 35mm on now. I let a few friends try this bike all of them say how solid and tight this bike is.

Building up a large soon for a friend he's 5'11. This bike really has great traction also, I just pulled the trigger on a Evil The following.

Anyone looking for a great hardtail that doesn't break the bank that is playfull and kills the downs this is the bike!!

mtbr member
    I'm 5'9.5, I could be in a large on this frame. May try a 50mm stem I have a 35mm on now. I let a few friends try this bike all of them say how solid and tight this bike is.

Building up a large soon for a friend he's 5'11. This bike really has great traction also, I just pulled the trigger on a Evil The following.

Anyone looking for a great hardtail that doesn't break the bank that is playfull and kills the downs this is the bike!!
    Thanks for advice. I'm looking to build one for my brother..he's 6'1 that would put him between a L and XL according to their chart.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Guys im thinking about pulling the Trigger on a Green 27.5. My only question is, is the sliding dropouts a deal Breaker? Not sure I want to go into a corner and have my wheel come out of alignment.

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by othomas View Post
    Guys im thinking about pulling the Trigger on a Green 27.5. My only question is, is the sliding dropouts a deal Breaker? Not sure I want to go into a corner and have my wheel come out of alignment.

Thanks
    I had this problem only at the beginning before I didn't know how to use the dropouts. Unfortunately I still don't know the correct torque specifications for the bolts.
    If you are riding with a rear derailleur, rotate the drop-out all of the way forward to minimize the chain stay length. In single speed mode, tensioning is accomplished with a tiny threaded grub screw inside the rear dropout area.
    The idea is good, but I think building frame and dropouts with high precision is quite difficult.
    My frame is not equally build left and right. I have to use the tiny threaded grub in geared mode, too. At the left side my dropout is all the way forward, at the right side i have to push it a few mm back to keep the wheel centered. Next thing is, the left dropout is not 100% vertical, so it is not possible to align the rear break pads with the disc (I have Shimano's, with SRAM brakes it is possible to correct this with a 3D movement of the caliper).

In my opinion the sliding dropouts are not a deal breaker, they are better then a quick release axle but if I have the choice, I take a frame with a fixed dropout.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks for the Reply I think I may think twice, Price seems right though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    It's a really fun bike! My frame is lined up ok with gears and screws all the way forward in the slots.

I lost one screw on a ride and didn't notice until the wheel went out of alignment. Didn't cause a crash though. I just make sure I check the screws every ride now. They've never needed tightening since that one time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by tobiwan View Post
    Very cool Video even if I would never ride a SS - probably because I am not strong enough.

So guys, short review from my first ride - nothing more than just AMAZING!!!

Attachment 974600

I am 5 feet 10 inches and the L-frame fits perfectly in combination with a 35mm steem. Weight is 29,7 pounds.

Thatīs it - have to go for a ride again
    Do you normally ride large?? I normally ride medium and my bike shop says I should get a large because they run small. I'm 5-9''

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    For the last 2 Years I ride L frames Witz short steam. Reach somewhere at 445 and thats mich better than the shorter m-frames I rode before. Better climbing, better control and still very playful To ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Finally got my TransAM can't wait to get home and unbox it.

Anyone put some big 26 tires on a 27.5 TransAM. Curios how much room there is outback for a bigger 26 tire. Seems that's the way Chromag is going with the new rootdown.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Here is my TransAM 27,5"

2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-petertransa.jpg

Since the riding picture I have destoryed the rear wheel and built a new one with a DT Swiss FR570 DH rim. I also had to change the cockpit to lower the bar. It is a little strange how high the stack is on the frames. In the first picture there is a Renthal Fatbar Lite 740 mm wide with 30 mm rise, runing a 70 mm steam -17 deg. The new setup is Answer ProTaper DH cut to 760 mm with running a 50 mm stem. The shorter/wider cockpit feels a lot better on the bike.

2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-transan.jpg

I just need a new dropper for the bike since the reverb is on my fully these days.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dystopism View Post
    Here is my TransAM 27,5"

Since the riding picture I have destoryed the rear wheel and built a new one with a DT Swiss FR570 DH rim. I also had to change the cockpit to lower the bar. It is a little strange how high the stack is on the frames. In the first picture there is a Renthal Fatbar Lite 740 mm wide with 30 mm rise, runing a 70 mm steam -17 deg. The new setup is Answer ProTaper DH cut to 760 mm with running a 50 mm stem. The shorter/wider cockpit feels a lot better on the bike.

I just need a new dropper for the bike since the reverb is on my fully these days.
    nice ride !!

I don't own a trans am ,yet. but I ride the same way , short stem , wide bars and slammed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks! I was so suprised at how high the stack was on the bike when i built it. I took the parts from a Banshee Spitfire that I snapped and it was impossible to get the cockpit right due to the bars having to much rise. I had never considered that the Banshee Spitfire with a 160 mm fork would have significatnly lower stack that a TransAM with a 130 mm fork.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    It needs shorter tapered head tubes. I had considered it but the stack dropped it out of contention for me.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    It needs shorter tapered head tubes. I had considered it but the stack dropped it out of contention for me.
    wide, flat bars are wonderful. I'm running a Niner RDO 780 bar and had to add spacers to my steel HT (with an EC44 lower cup).

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Stack is no issue for me (130mm fork)

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    My current stack is fine for me too. I just had to buy a bar with less rise. It however seems a bit excessive to have such a tall head tube and an external cup . I always thought that slammed stems was for people who shave their legs.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    My medium Warden has a 105mm internal head tube and 587mm of stack with a 160mm fork. Medium 27.5 Transam has a 115mm head tube and 618mm is stack with a 130mm fork. +31mm of stack and -30mm of fork is a lot, medium to medium hard tail or not. I understand that a hardtail will not sag at the back which will compensate a bit but that is still a lot of stack.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    It is but the front end doesn't feel high when you ride it!

Sir Shreds-A-Lot
    Quote Originally Posted by jack_steel View Post
    Really excited with my new 2016 build

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	151031-1151_DSC_3643.jpg 
Views:	2119 
Size:	430.6 KB 
ID:	1029062

Name:	151031-1153_DSC_3647.jpg 
Views:	1428 
Size:	428.0 KB 
ID:	1029063

Name:	151031-1155_DSC_3649.jpg 
Views:	934 
Size:	335.9 KB 
ID:	1029064

Name:	151031-1205_DSC_3675.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	430.3 KB 
ID:	1029065

Name:	151031-1227_DSC_3693.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	157.2 KB 
ID:	1029066
    sick bike but youre killing me with mismatched brand tires!!
    1985 Trek 670
    2016 Trek Fuel 9.8 27.5
    2017 Trek Domane SL6 Pro
    2017 Trek Crockett

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Just spoke with the folks at Transition last week and put in an order for an XL 27.5. Can't wait to get it in and get it built. Just have to wait until mid-February for it to come in on their end.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I'll confirm that a 150 fork on the 27.5 is too much...the chopper effect was in full force. I built it up as that's what was here and I don't have any reducers for the fork. Fox has a new retrofit kit for the fork, I'm just going to swap out the air spring with a 2015 version already set at 130

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Had my new TransAM out last night and really had a Blast. Was my first time out since pulling it out of the box. Few things to tinker with but alot of fun. Can't wait for things to fry out a bit more.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Edit- sorry, posted in wrong thread!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Extremely excited; today I got a call from Transition during my lunch. My back ordered Hot Rod Orange XL 27.5 frame is in and now so is payment! Just waiting for the email with my shipping details before I pee a little, lol!

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Picking up my new XL TA29 frame today. Transition was sold out of the grey, so I ended up with the blue. Headset being pressed in as I type; build to commence thereafter. Should get to ride it by next week, hopefully.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

2016 xl ta 29

My brand spanking new 2016 XL TA 29. Borrowed the brakes, handlebar and front wheel from my Vassago VerHauen, re-used the old drivetrain from my WFO, repurposed the fork and grips from my Chinese carbon hardtail, pilfered the front tire from my wife's bike, and scrounged the garage and ebay for the rest. About 28.5 lbs. Needs a dropper (KS Lev Integra, likely) and beefier meat in the back, but as it stands I think it should be a good ride. I had a Banshee Paradox for a while, so I'm interested in seeing how this compares.

2016 XL frame
    130mm Reba RLT Ti
    XT 1x10 with the 42 wolf tooth conversion
    SLX cranks, 30t front ring (we have long steep climbs here)
    Sun Ringle Black Flag pro front wheel w/ Specialized Purgatory 2.3
    King/Arch rear wheel with Specialized Ground Countrol 2.1 (way too small!)
    XT brakes 180/160
    Niner Flat top alloy bar cut to 740
    Spank Spike 50mm stem

Feels short-ish on the top tube, but should be playful. (I'm 6' with a 34" inseam and need all the seatpost length I can get.) First ride later today. 2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-0301161403.jpg
    Last edited by Earthpig; 03-04-2016 at 01:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig View Post
    My brand spanking new 2016 XL TA 29. Parted out my Vassago VerHauen, stole the fork off another bike, and scrounged the garage for the rest. About 28.5 lbs. Needs a dropper (KS Lev Integra, likely) and beefier meat in the back, but as it stands I think it should be a good ride. I had a Banshee Paradox for a while, so I'm interested in seeing how this compares.

2016 XL frame
    130mm Reba RLT Ti
    XT 1x10 with the 42 wolf tooth conversion
    SLX cranks, 30t front ring (we have long steep climbs here)
    Sun Ringle Black Flag pro front wheel w/ Specialized Purgatory 2.3
    King/Arch rear wheel with Specialized Ground Countrol 2.1 (way too small!)
    XT brakes 180/160
    Niner Flat top alloy bar cut to 740
    Spank Spike 50mm stem

Feels short-ish on the top tube, but should be playful. (I'm 6' with a 34" inseam and need all the seatpost length I can get.) First ride later today. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0301161403.jpg 
Views:	473 
Size:	217.0 KB 
ID:	1054332
    sweet ! enjoy

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Considering moving the white saddle and blue Spank Oozy bar off my WFO, merely for aesthetic reasons of course. 150mm drop LEV Integra post is now on order.

Uncle
    150mm drop LEV Integra post is now on order.
    Best investment on a bike like this, hands down. Game changer. Bring an extra set of drawers because you're gonna shite yourself first ride.

enjoy the ear worm

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Considering moving the white saddle and blue Spank Oozy bar off my WFO, merely for aesthetic reasons of course. 150mm drop LEV Integra post is now on order.
    I may sell my WFO now that I have the TransAM!!

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    I kinda figure most bikes these days are designed with the thought that the rider will add a dropper, especially bikes like the Trans Am. I added one to my Jet 9 RDO for shites and giggles and it made the bike SOOOO much more fun downhill. (However, that's the one I would consider eliminating in lieu of the Trans AM.)

mtbr member

Shameless Plug: TransAM 29 in medium for sale at classifieds section

Hello, I apologize if this is not permitted, I just wanted to share with the group that I am selling my TransAM29. Details are at the classifieds section or follow link below.

Transition TransAM29 - Buy and Sell Mountain Bikes and Accessories

Thank you folks!
    Last edited by Fatboy Joe; 08-02-2016 at 05:49 PM. Reason: editing link
    Mid Drive is the future of e-cargo bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Here is my 2014 TA 27.5 in medium. I freaking love this bike! I bought the frame/fork set and built up the way I wanted.

mtbr member
    Add a dropper to your TA! I rode it for a week without one... it was great... rode it ever since with one, would never go back!

I could actually say this about any bike, but this one steps up a whole lot with the switch.
    Like a fart in a mitten...

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by l'oiseau View Post
    Add a dropper to your TA! I rode it for a week without one... it was great... rode it ever since with one, would never go back!

I could actually say this about any bike, but this one steps up a whole lot with the switch.
    2nded, it makes a world of difference on an aggressive bike when ridden aggressively.

I'm waiting on yet another new dropper after now having had bad experiences with 3 of the larger brands that make them. Time to try a new Fox dropper, lol! Maybe it's just time to dish out the cash for a Fall Line, but meh. Getting tempting though as the Fox 150x30.9 has been on order for closing in on 2 months with no real word or any sort of update other than "we'll have more when they come in".

Also makes me long for the simplicity and rock solidness of an oldschool Gravity post.

PS. It is very frustrating that I've ridden thousands of miles over the past couple years starting at hugely greater weight than I am at now and only had one mild dropper post issue that was replaced quickly. And now that I've dropped a huge amount of weight I've encounter 3 total failures from 3 separate brands in the course of 6-8 months. Talking a difference of 150+ish lbs from then to now... It just doesn't make any sense to me... Sorry for the derail! lol

mtbr member
    A small dropper derail...

I have a GD turbo on my other bike. It's the two position model. While I like the simplicity and reliability (thus far) of it, it doesn't compare to a fully adjustable hydro model.

I have a Transfer on the TA. So far it works fine. What I like is the intermediate settings and ease of actuation. I don't always fully drop it depending on the section, sometimes I'll drop in an inch and it gives me the movement I need and I can sit really quick to get traction. The GD I have doesn't do that. Although it's an option, it would be more cumbersome with the locking mechanism.

The actuation force is much higher as well. While a minor gripe and I should just HTFU, it really does make a difference in my riding. The position and ease of actuation of the Transfer makes me adjust it where using the GD would be a little cumbersome.

The GD is nice if you want A mode or B mode and have lots of time to think about the change. The Transfer (or any hydro infinitely adjustable post with easy actuation) allows you do a quick drop to give you more rear wheel absorption for any little obstacle you might come across. Because my knees are my rear suspension on a HT, I feel this is HUGE. I can ride so much smoother and cleaner with a hydro post.

I won't ditch my GD, but for the TA - I want the added performance of a hydro post.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    A small dropper derail...

I have a GD turbo on my other bike. It's the two position model. While I like the simplicity and reliability (thus far) of it, it doesn't compare to a fully adjustable hydro model.

I have a Transfer on the TA. So far it works fine. What I like is the intermediate settings and ease of actuation. I don't always fully drop it depending on the section, sometimes I'll drop in an inch and it gives me the movement I need and I can sit really quick to get traction. The GD I have doesn't do that. Although it's an option, it would be more cumbersome with the locking mechanism.

The actuation force is much higher as well. While a minor gripe and I should just HTFU, it really does make a difference in my riding. The position and ease of actuation of the Transfer makes me adjust it where using the GD would be a little cumbersome.

The GD is nice if you want A mode or B mode and have lots of time to think about the change. The Transfer (or any hydro infinitely adjustable post with easy actuation) allows you do a quick drop to give you more rear wheel absorption for any little obstacle you might come across. Because my knees are my rear suspension on a HT, I feel this is HUGE. I can ride so much smoother and cleaner with a hydro post.

I won't ditch my GD, but for the TA - I want the added performance of a hydro post.
    Ya, the GD is definitely limited in features and style and a little bit limited in functionality compared to the new hydro's but they were always super rugged and dependable.

Hopefully the Fox Transfer will come in soon and will be problem free. I definitely enjoy the QoL improvements that the newer hydros have over the old cables they just come with a lot more possible points of failure along with the QoL upgrades. Funny thing is I didn't have any issues with them for the most part up until very recently.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Has anybody tried to slacken the HA with an angle set? I ride the TransAM 29 with a 140 mm fork, HA is around 66,6° unsagged but sagged it is a lot steeper. I would like to try it with an 1,5° angleset to keep the HA around 67° when sagged.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-img_5381.jpg
    Itīs now 30.5 lbs of glory...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Has anybody tried to slacken the HA with an angle set? I ride the TransAM 29 with a 140 mm fork, HA is around 66,6° unsagged but sagged it is a lot steeper. I would like to try it with an 1,5° angleset to keep the HA around 67° when sagged.
    I did it
    Installed a Works headset with -2° EC44-EC44. Head angle is 64,5° without sag (which says nothing for a hardtail), with sag it should be around 66°. Now the bike feels like it should feel for my preferences. Probably bit shorter in reach (because of the headset offset), but handlebar height is still the same - i use less spacers now. In my eyes it climbs better then before, because the front wheel is not so floppy in technical uphills (I have the 51 mm fork offset). And it descents a lot better, particularly in steep technical terrain (head angle stays slacker when the fork compresses).

2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-img_20161008_154259.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Looking to buy 2015/16 M size Transam 29 frame. If anyone has a frame in good condition let me know. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jpo1 View Post
    Looking to buy 2015/16 M size Transam 29 frame. If anyone has a frame in good condition let me know. Thanks!
    I have a new one only taken on street around house, 2016 med blue/frame. I have 3 hard tails and all must go, having back problems at 55 years old.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-p1070516.jpg  

mtbr member
    Buy that bike - you won't regret it. I can't stop riding mine and everytime I do, I love it!

One minor thing to look out for is the rear dropouts shifting on the brake side. Because the set screw only allows them not to slide forward and the braking force is in the opposite sense. That one can slide back, cock up the rear wheel and make some bad noise. Ask me how I know.

I reapplied fresh blue loctite and torqued them good, and no issues since. But the stuff they use when they ship, which is blue, but not the same, wasn't strong enough for me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Buy that bike - you won't regret it. I can't stop riding mine and everytime I do, I love it!

One minor thing to look out for is the rear dropouts shifting on the brake side. Because the set screw only allows them not to slide forward and the braking force is in the opposite sense. That one can slide back, cock up the rear wheel and make some bad noise. Ask me how I know.

I reapplied fresh blue loctite and torqued them good, and no issues since. But the stuff they use when they ship, which is blue, but not the same, wasn't strong enough for me.
    Thank you for the info! Does Transition have recommended torque numbers for the set screws? I have read about this before, did transition offer any solution to the issue?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I have a new one only taken on street around house, 2016 med blue/frame. I have 3 hard tails and all must go, having back problems at 55 years old.
    Your inbox is full can't pm you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpo1 View Post
    Thank you for the info! Does Transition have recommended torque numbers for the set screws? I have read about this before, did transition offer any solution to the issue?
    I did not contact Transition. If it persisted, I would have, but new loctite fixed it and I've been pounding the bike for months.

I did not torque to a spec, just good and tight. I think the issue is mainly vibration and force direction. If the screws stay tight, the dropout doesn't move.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Sorry about that try now!!

I had same little problem with set screws coming loose on my other gray TransAm I did the same thing I'oiseau did, problem solved. I almost lost the set screw!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-p1070235.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I actually lost one of my screws and had to get the uk importer to send a new one (which they were super good sorting out) the mech hanger bit on the drive side that the rear axle screws into just worked loose on mine in the last few days too - it's worth checking all those little bolts regularly, guess the bike encourages you to ride so hard that stuff works loose!

So stoked with my trans am 27.5. Rode mine today and took a KOM climbing and took a couple of seconds off my PR I set on a FS down some local woodsy single track. All good until I clipped a tree stump and totalled my mech later in the ride!

eci
    Here is my updated trans am 29 SS
    26lbs 13 ounces

Medium Frame
    120 Yari
    XO carbon Cranks
    Specialized Roval Traverse Fattie wheels
    XT Brakes
    Easton Haven Bars/Stems
    KS Lev 30.9 x 150 post
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-image1.jpg  

aaarrrggghh!
    Sweet build, defies gravity. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Whoops...double post.
    CADRE RACING

Singlespeeder Powered by Veggies
    http://misfitpsycles.com/

mtbr member
    Hey Jack Steel...what size fork are you running with the angleset and are you still running the same set up? Thanks!
    CADRE RACING

Singlespeeder Powered by Veggies
    http://misfitpsycles.com/

mtbr member
    2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-sstransam.jpg

Geared 30x20.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Team TransAM!

What's the largest tire you've stuffed in the back of your bike? Think a 2.6 on i30 rims would fit?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    the TA is gone from transition's website. discontinued, or is a v3 with plus tire compatibility on the way?

mtbr member
    I think they are redesigning it. The current model has dropouts and cable routing which aren't the best and besides everything is semi chubby now. Gotta keep up with the neighbors!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Is that an Onza Ibex on the back? Is it the 2.4?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Is anyone running the Onza Ibex 2.4 on their TA29? If so, do you have any clearance issues?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebeat007 View Post
    Hey Jack Steel...what size fork are you running with the angleset and are you still running the same set up? Thanks!
    Hi, sorry for the late answer, I didn't get a notification. I have my fork set at 140 mm and yes, I still ride the same set up with the angle set. Super happy!

Quote Originally Posted by wildebeest5 View Post
    Is anyone running the Onza Ibex 2.4 on their TA29? If so, do you have any clearance issues?
    I ride the Onza Ibex 2.4 and I don't have any clearence issues.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Hi, sorry for the late answer, I didn't get a notification. I have my fork set at 140 mm and yes, I still ride the same set up with the angle set. Super happy!

I ride the Onza Ibex 2.4 and I don't have any clearence issues.
    Thanks Jack : )

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I just got myself a TransAM 27,5. Just as a bike to play around with.

2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-dsc_0865.jpg

How wide tires fit in the rear? 2,5? 2,8? Looks like about 10mm on each side of 2,3 Minion SS. It would be fun if I could get a plus wheelset that I could run on both my Process 111 and this bike

mtbr member
    This is a Frankenstein ā la carte:

-29er frame
    -27.5+ front
    -27.5 rear
    -Ugly saddle for a comfy ride
    -Specs learned from other builds

There is even a video I just uploaded.

https://youtu.be/R1ziFYJJtyk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-img_20170313_184928399_hdr.jpg  

2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-img_20170313_184954492_hdr.jpg  

2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-img_20170313_184937047_hdr.jpg  

Transition TransAM 29 (made 27.5 "Plus")
    Cannondale F5000 Yellow :P

mtbr member
    Hi Helmetless,
    how's the ride?
    My wife is riding the gen 1 small frame 29er TA. I was thinking of upgrading/changing the wheelset to 27.5, to shave some weight. not sure if there will be weight savings if I go down that route.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123