Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Anybody ridden both wheel sizes of the TA? I just placed an order for a TA29 but I'm coming from a FS 27.5 but I figured the bigger wheels on a HT frame would be better overall but I may be wrong since I haven't ridden any of the TAs yet. Thank you.
    Mid Drive is the future of e-cargo bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I haven't ridden TA 275, and my TA 29 is my first 29" bike. All earlier test drives pointed me to stay on smaller wheels. Maybe it is due to those bikes were too XC oriented. I don't feels the downsides of other 29" bikes when riding TransAm. Thus I don't see the need for 275 size.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I am 5"8 and went for an TA29 in Large. Actually I am using a 35mm stem but will probably upgrade to 50mm... and I would all the time choose the TA aus 29er, as it rides just great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MostChillin View Post
    Hopefully the Transition guys can chime in on this thread with the proper setup/torque so that everyone has access to the info. Or if you get it directly, can you please post?

With a TA29 on the way, a little concerned because I'm a bigger guy that puts some torque on the rear...
    Hi guys - we are working on getting some docs up on our support page shortly. Hang in there and we will get a similar exploded view and torque spec document up soon.

strider
    Nov 2010

6'2" and size Large 29

Quote Originally Posted by tobiwan View Post
    I am 5"8 and went for an TA29 in Large. Actually I am using a 35mm stem but will probably upgrade to 50mm... and I would all the time choose the TA aus 29er, as it rides just great.
    I am six foot, two inches tall and am very happy on a Large TA29er. I have left the stock 45mm stem on, much to my surprise. The reach with 760mm wide low-rise bars is about 20 mm shorter than the cockpit of my previous bikes. I thought I would feel too cramped, but the slightly more upright stance is easier on my neck and shoulders as well as keeping me in a more neutral agile position on the bike for aggressive-technical trails. The relatively short stem for my size relative to the frame has not negatively affected climbing ability either.
    Admittedly I have always preferred slightly smaller frames than larger frames, for the more technical trails that I choose to ride rather than wide-open cross-country style trails that may favor a larger frame and more stretched-out body position. After all that is why we got Trans Ams right? For shredding the gnar, haha.

Anyways, point being, it appears that we have confirmed that the size large appears to work for anyone between 5'8" and 6'2" as indicated on the Transition size chart.

strider
    Nov 2010

Lock-washer

Quote Originally Posted by Transition Bikes View Post
    Hi guys - we are working on getting some docs up on our support page shortly. Hang in there and we will get a similar exploded view and torque spec document up soon.
    Hey gang,
    Here are two photos of the knurled lock-washer and and large washer combo that I installed on the lower drop-out bolt to reduce unwanted sliding. I tightened the bolt to aprox 16n/m. This seemed like plenty tight and coincides with the recommended torque rating for the rear axle to help me remember what I set it to. We'll see how this works2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-img_0344.jpg2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-img_0345.jpg

mtbr member
    Yep I'm 5' 10" and running a 50mm stem with 20mm of spacers under the stem and It fits perfectly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Is the new Transam 142mm only? The Transition site looks that way but some retailers list that 135mm is possible, but I don't know whether they have just lifted the spec across from the old frames without updating the axle standard?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    What retailers have Transition online? I can only find Dropnzone and last time I checked they only had 275's.

Thanks

Rocks belong
    Dropzone was very helpful, but they are sold out of 29er frames. Every dealer I have called has basically said something to the effect of 'get in line'
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

SC Junkie
    Pretty sure Dropzone is the only current model year online dealer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. Now I have to figure out whatever to wait, try another bike or look for used.

Rocks belong
    Wrench Science shows 2015's... but they're sold out too

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Wow. First time Ive seen Wrench Science. I like the custom build ability. I does show them in stock. Too bad their out.

mtbr member

Dry and dusty in the north of England for a change !

Rocks belong
    For those having issues with the TA dropouts slipping, is it primarily for SS use?

I see that rvercoe has a cassette and rear D, which suggests that the dropouts are sliding for both geared and SS use?

mtbr member

2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5

Yes same issue with both set ups. But I've had no more problems since I installed the washers and locktite

strider
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    For those having issues with the TA dropouts slipping, is it primarily for SS use?

I see that rvercoe has a cassette and rear D, which suggests that the dropouts are sliding for both geared and SS use?
    Correct, I have only used my TA as a 1x10 and had some limited slipping probably more due to trail impact forces rather than gear-chain torque force which SS set-ups induce.

It sure would be great to hear thoughts or guidance from Transition Bikes on this. Hopefully, they are not too busy doing damage control on the supply-side, because that is all we seem to hear so far this year.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Hey guys, I work at Division 1 in Austin Tx. We are a transition dealer and I'm looking to sell my 2013 remedy 9 for a transition trans am. I read this whole thread (very helpful by the way for when it comes time to set my customers up right) and I also saw you guys needed to find dealers. Check us out, we're a small shop with plenty of time and knowledge to get you guys rolling. My name is John and I'm here everyday besides sunday and thursday.
    Satan what does your weigh in at? I'll be doing NOX or derby rims when mine comes and some 2.5 tires to rock crawl this texas limestone.

SC Junkie
    Under 26lbs, I think it was 25.6

mtbr member
    2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-uploadfromtaptalk1429789874146.jpg

How difficult do you think it could be to get something like this in the dropout?

mtbr member
    This is mine transam 275..yesterday is born!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-dscn5351.jpg  

2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-dscn5350.jpg  

mtbr member
    looks good. How is the ride?

mtbr member
    What size frame for me at 5'10" and a 31.5 inseam?

mtbr member
    I'm 5 10 and a 31 and the large Is a perfect fit for me with a 50mm stem

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fullmonti View Post
    This is mine transam 275..yesterday is born!
    my transam 275 is M size and I'm 5'7''

SC Junkie
    AaronJobe large for sure. I'm 5'10" with a 32ish inseam, probably more like 31.5 like you.I run a 60mm stem also. If you like it shorter try a 50mm or 40mm.

mtbr member
    I'm just ordering a few parts for my build of a 29 XL. Has anyone built theirs with a Reverb seatpost? If so, what length 380 or 420? Thanks.

Rocks belong
    Welp, just joined the backordered/waiting game fun. Dark metallic, large, 29... June-ish delivery.

Dark metallic frame w/ white accents + white bars, white fork, white saddle... Gonna be a sweet Storm Trooper build!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Will that white saddle stay white longer than your waiting period? Well, it is nice project to collect other parts while waiting for frame. Enjoy!

Rocks belong
    They end up off white, but not as dirty as you would think. I don't know why I'm such a sucker for white saddles, but I like them. Lol

mtbr member
    New bits

mtbr member
    At last, finally got my TA29 but it's still in pieces. I'm hoping to put it together this weekend. Thanks to Allen of Dropnzone!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Oh. Keithmck have X01 transmission. It looks good with black casette and shiny chain. My own experience (My Scout is built with X01 group) says that it still looks good after 250km, but casette wont stay that black for long.

Today I used my TransAm for commuting ride to office. I'm still happy with it, but 1x10 transmission is missing vital 15t cog that would be useful when going 21-25km/h. Above that there is 13t and 11t. They keep cadence nicely low until 30km/h, but when going bit slower, missing 15t cog would be nice to have. 17t is already slow gear. I won't change front ring to smaller (currently 30t), because lw range is good enough and top range is about right level.

When comparing this to Sram 1x11 with nicely spaced gearings, Sram scores all the points, except cost.

mtbr member
    It's x1

mtbr member
    Unfortunately my first test of my transam275 confirmed the problem of fixing the dropouts. I noticed while going without hands the bike was left very heavily. Ride this bike is quite nervous, wide handlebars is therefore mandatory and if I make a note I would say that the fork slightly open can not hurt.

Rocks belong
    Can I ask a question of those that have actually been able to throw a leg over a 2015 TA29? (I cannot find a single one to even sit on).

Do y'all find the front end high? The stack on the TA29 is 641-646 mm, which is really tall. I would imagine it would feel really tall for those on small or medium frames.

My complaint with long travel 29ers is how high the front ends are. For comparison, the stack on a large Specialized Enduro 29er is 641mm and it has 160mm 29er fork! I demo'd one of those and didn't like feeling 'perched' up that high.

I like a low, aggressive riding position, and I have short legs, so I usually end up slamming my stem against the headset and am now really starting to 2nd guess my decision to pre-order a TransAM 29 frame. My current 29er HT (DB Mason) has a 130 F34 and a stack of ~622mm. So a TA 29 with a 120-130 fork will be an inch higher in the front end.

Again, a demo isn't an option as no one has a TA anywhere. I'm about ready to cancel my order :-/

mtbr member

I started putting my TA29 together today and I started fiddling around with the rear dropouts. if you line up the swing dropouts, the 12x142 axle is hard to screw in. I noticed its been digging in the thread on the derailleur hanger side. To cut long story short, rear is tweaked. If you put on the wheel and measure distance of rim to rear stays from both side, there is around .143", so you need to push rim around .0715" just to align it good but by adjusting set screws to move the drop out, puts the wheel in a weird position. Anyway, I'll try to figure it out but it really feels and looks weird bec I'm 100%, if I leave it as, bike will track to the right since the rear wheel is pointing to the left when dropouts are set evenly.
    Last edited by Fatboy Joe; 05-05-2015 at 11:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I ended up to add some spacers under stem, so you could say that stack height is no problem for me. L-size frame has 115mm headtube as like in smaller frames too. This number is pretty normal for 29" bikes and thus stack is similar than other 29".
    Attachment 968644

S-sized Honzo has 10mm shorter headtube. M has 5mm shorter headtube. L Honzo is equal to L TransAm.

Rocks belong
    I'm looking at comparable, size Large 29ers with 120 forks and ~115mm headtube lenghts:

RIP 9: 120 Rev, 130mm head tube, 631mm stack

Canfield Riot: 140 Pike, 120mm head tube, 607mm stack

Canfield EPO: 140 Pike, 122mm head tube, 600mm stack

Canfield doesn't show stack numbers for the N9 and Yelli... The Honzo and ROS9 also have similarly tall head tube/stack numbers... why the heck do they make the frickin headtubes so high?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    I'm looking at comparable, size Large 29ers with 120 forks and ~115mm headtube lenghts:

RIP 9: 120 Rev, 130mm head tube, 631mm stack

Canfield Riot: 140 Pike, 120mm head tube, 607mm stack

Canfield EPO: 140 Pike, 122mm head tube, 600mm stack

Canfield doesn't show stack numbers for the N9 and Yelli... The Honzo and ROS9 also have similarly tall head tube/stack numbers... why the heck do they make the frickin headtubes so high?
    I am riding a L-frame at 5´10" and have placed 1cm of spacers under the stem. It makes me interested why you are looking for a bike with much lower stack? Have you made bad experiences?

Rocks belong
    I built up a Kona Satori for a buddy and rode it a few times. My complaint with it was that the front end felt really high. It had a 627mm stack, 5-10mm of spacers and a 25mm rise bar. So effective bar height should've been around 662mm

I also had a Size Large Jet 9 RDO with a 120mm F29. (628mm stack) I was going for an XC setup, so I ran 10mm rise bars and a -6*, 75mm stem, slammed against the headset. Effective bar height should've been around: 632 mm.

My current AM 29er is setup with a stack of ~ 631mm

I was hoping to do a frame swap, but it doesn't look like I'd be able to reuse my cockpit. I have a 777mm carbon handlebar, but with a 641mm stack on a TA29, i'll probably need to buy an new (expensive) Niner 780 carbon flat top bar and maybe a Syntace Flatforce 44 stem.

mtbr member
    2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-uploadfromtaptalk1431700497482.jpg2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-uploadfromtaptalk1431700741684.jpg2015 Trans Am 29...and 27.5-uploadfromtaptalk1431700930411.jpg

Got mine built up today and took it for a quick 20kms. So much fun, and was suprised just how capable it is on some steep technical trails.

Just waiting for some custom decals then it's done.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    So I know Transition says you can't run a front derailleur on the Trans Am 29er but for what reason,i know the chainstay length is adjustable.My question is with the CS pulled all the way back could you fit a FD.I know there aren't any cable stops but I'd run a direct mount FD with built in cable stop and a Problem Solvers mount.It would be on a large frame,if that matters.Hopfully some feedback from some large owners please.
    cheers,
    jon

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    You probably could instal front deraileur with no problems. It may rub to rear tire at grannyring position. But, it may be difficult to install cranks. If you install 32t and 42t rings, that would work. If you'd install cranks with granny and 32t, you face problems. Maybe adding spacer to drive side would do the trick, but chain line gets wider.

This is my TransAm. SLX double cranks with one ring. 30t ring bolted to large ring tabs.
    Name:  968641d1425207671t-2015-trans-am-29-27-5-wp_20150226_11_30_19_pro.jpg
Views: 1721
Size:  29.0 KB

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Does anyone has a photo of an XL frame in 27.5" and/or 29"? In my eyes all the frames are very harmonic, but til now I have seen only frames in M or L sizes. Thank you!

mtbr member
    My pics up a few posts are an XL 29.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Yippee_Ki_YayMF View Post
    My pics up a few posts are an XL 29.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yippee_Ki_YayMF View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1431700930411.jpg 
Views:	434 
Size:	196.9 KB 
ID:	988551
    This one?! Awesome! Looks like a L!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Ordered one today. Have to wait til January...

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by jack_steel View Post
    Ordered one today. Have to wait til January...
    What size & color? And complete bike or frame?

I ordered a large, metallic TA29 frame a long time ago and expect it next week. I have a full X9 1x10 build kit, XT brakes, 780 carbon bar/45 stem, XF Trace RL2 34 fork with Gold Anno (Kashima) and Uni-Crown upgrades, Frequency i23 wheels (better than stock ST23's). My needs have changed, so I was debating building it up as a complete bike and throwing it in Craigslist.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast