mtbr member
    Apr 2007

2015 Smuggler Sale

All,
    Good morning. I have been hunting around on some deals on last years models and came across a deal from WrenchScience that has a 2015 (not last year) Smuggler that you can select from multiple group-sets and then change individual pieces where you desire. Long story short, They had a Smuggler with a XT group set for under $3.5k. Even a XTR group set for around $4.5k. I know there are some differences between 2015 and 2016 and not sure if there will be many changes to the 2017 line, but I guess my question to the experts here is, is the price for a 2015/XT group-set a better overall investment then selecting a 2016/2017? I'm looking for the Smuggler to be a XC/Trail'ish rig ( I live in Texas) but do plan on traveling with it (moved from OR/CO) so I want the ability to rip around and not be limited. I don't mind pedaling a few extra pounds here locally to then also use the same bike on other trails. We might be moving back to those states in a year or two anyway so it would be good to use the same rig again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Matt

mtbr member
    I ride a 2015 smuggler (since August 12th of last year). The changes from '16 on were minor, they raised the BB 5mm and specc'd 170mm cranks (mine has 175mm). They also increased the clearance over the seat stay bridge with the rear tire.

I never had an issue with either of these, I got familiar with the bike and don't get pedal strikes, I also am running a 2.3 DHRII on a 30mm ID rim on the back with no issues.

Imo, if you can get a smoking deal on a '15 I wouldn't hesitate.
    '15 Transition Smuggler