mtbr member
    Aug 2016

2014 covert 650B with bottomout problems, not the original shock

Hello guys,

so I have the covert for about a year now, and right on I got it with Float CTD (not X). my suspension mechanic suggested to try a Float R HIGH VOLUME shock, so until now I did. recently after going more aggressive I felt the frame and shock are just too "linear" because I bottomout a lot and sometimes harshly in about 0.5-1 meter jumps.

today I replaced the Float R with the CTD that came with the frame (not X CTD!). felt much better in all the aspects.

so now I'm thinking about tune the Floar R or CTD, or maybe go for another shock completely.

what are your experience with your rear shock? and which shock is it?

do you suggest tuning or go right away for new shock?

thanks!

cnut
    You should be able to solve the bottom-out issues you're having with the Float R with the help of a volume spacer kit. It's a super-simple way of making the shock more progressive, therefore harder to bottom out. Your local Fox dealer ought to be able to help you out.

Everything I've read online suggests the Float X is a fantastic shock for this bike, so if you're looking to upgrade that would be a good place to start. I believe Push Suspension can also custom tune and upgrade the internals on your Float R and CTD shock, so that's also worth looking into.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    2014 carbon covert 26 owner here...

my float x has been amazing. i ride aggressively and ridden the bike at parks like highland and mountaincreek on occasion. i frequently ride rocky rough terrain with drops, jumps, etc...

if your thinking of buying a float x... i actually got a spare directly from transition tuned for the covert for a really good price. i wanted a spare for a long trip out west as a backup so i emailed them and they hooked me up.

Quote Originally Posted by gnarly View Post
    Everything I've read online suggests the Float X is a fantastic shock for this bike, so if you're looking to upgrade that would be a good place to start. I believe Push Suspension can also custom tune and upgrade the internals on your Float R and CTD shock, so that's also worth looking into.