mtbr member

2012 TransAM...can it be done?

650B that is...and if so, can you post a pic or two?

I will run the frame with the 142x12 rear axle. Gears...not singlespeed.

650B Flow rim with 2.1 Nevegal in the rear. 650B Flow and 2.3 Nevegal w/ Fox 36 in the front.

I called Transition...and they could not confirm.

I'd like to pull the trigger on the frame, but want to verify the fit before I do so.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I can confirm it works very well with on the previous version of the frame (old dropouts). I believe the chainstay length is the same on the new model, so it should work as long as the chainstay bridge is still in the same spot.

I have the 650BXC American Classic wheelset with 2.1 NeoMoto tires and there is easily 1/2" of clearance to the chainstay bridge. The rear axle is at the shortest chainstay distance in the horizontal dropouts since I am running gears. I don't have a pic at the moment, but I could post up a couple of the setup later on.

mtbr member

Thanks for the insight...

Quote Originally Posted by squads View Post
    I can confirm it works very well with on the previous version of the frame (old dropouts). I believe the chainstay length is the same on the new model, so it should work as long as the chainstay bridge is still in the same spot.

I have the 650BXC American Classic wheelset with 2.1 NeoMoto tires and there is easily 1/2" of clearance to the chainstay bridge. The rear axle is at the shortest chainstay distance in the horizontal dropouts since I am running gears. I don't have a pic at the moment, but I could post up a couple of the setup later on.
    Yeah, I would be intersted in seeing a photo if you have the time.

I am "this" close to pulling the trigger on the transAM...just want to be sure. I went to the LBS yesterday and checked out a TA...had a 2.35 Maxxis on a Charger Pro rim. Good clearance. Thinking that I could beOK with a 2.1 Nevegal back there.

mtbr member
    A guy with an older frame has it over here and says it works great!!

mtbr member
    Cool. I went ahead and ordered the frame. I have both 26 and 650b wheels around...I will try the 650b fit and report back here...with pics. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Thought I would revive this thread to confirm that 650b WILL WORK on the 2012 TransAM frame.

I ran a Flow with a Nevegal 2.1. I used the 142x12 rear axle and ran gears. Clearance was OK. No tire rub. Might get a little messy if you ar riding in muddy conditions. Long story short, it works...it fits. But...

I decided to go back to 26" wheels on the TA, though. The bike rode OK with the 650B, but it felt a little tall and awkward...never just felt right. The 650B wheels are interesting...they roll a bit better than 26" (marginal, IMO), and flex like a 29" (less, but still detectable). They are not the "just right" solutionI was hoping for...YMMV.

To be honest, I was a bit bummed that I did not fall in love with the 650B. I really thought it would rule. And it may rule when used on a frame that is designed for 650B. As it stands, the TA RULESwith 26" wheels. It feels "right"...probabl becuase it was designed for them.