yep

Is the '13 Covert a good choice if I plan on climbing?

So next Spring I'll be getting into the sport, and am currently trying to decide on my first bike. One bike I'm considering is the new Covert. Specifically the 26 Covert 2 build. I plan on riding a lot of varying kinds of trails(Utah) and want an AM bike with 6" of travel. I want to have fun on the descents, but I definitely want to be able to climb as well. I know that it's mostly the rider that dictates how efficient the climb is, but I know that the Covert is made with descents in mind, and I'm just curious how much that takes away from it's climbing capabilities.

Another bike I'm considering is the '13 Enduro Comp. I'm curious how it compares the Covert compares in regards to climbing.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    As you can see there are not too many of the new coverts around for people to give reviews on yet but I got to see Transition's Lars Sternberg race in the Colorado Freeride Festival 5 Stage All Mountain Enduro on one of them this year & he was killing it on one. He was able to pedal with some of the best XC/Enduro riders around & of course blast the descents.

They say the new Covert is "super comfortable and efficient to climb" & I believe them. I have one on order now. Plus they are just Sexy looking

yep
    Yeah I figured it might be a bit to early to ask seeing as not many people have them yet, but I thought I could get some insight.

I wish I could have seen him rip on it. I'm sure its an extremely capable bike, but I just want to make sure I make the right decision.

And I agree. It is a really good looking bike!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Hey Yboc!

Keeping in mind the '13 Covert is a proper 160/160mm bike in the build range of 30lbs it is a pretty efficient climber. You'll suffer just a tad more than say on a Bandit, but for a do all bike it's killer. Add to that the new Fox CTD Float shock and it's an amazing ride. In the Climb mode it has a pretty incredible pedaling platform, and with the flip of the CTD lever you've got an amazing trail bike, or descender.

As landii60 stated I had my Carbon Covert in Winterpark at 10,000' coming from sea level and it was holding it's own against all the Trek's and Specialized's with patented linkage systems.

If you're primarily concerned with climbing then the Bandit may be a bit more what you're looking for, but for a very capable Swiss-Army knife of bikes the Covert is the ticket.

Cheers fellas,

Lars

Deere Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Bikes View Post
    Hey Yboc!

Keeping in mind the '13 Covert is a proper 160/160mm bike in the build range of 30lbs it is a pretty efficient climber. You'll suffer just a tad more than say on a Bandit, but for a do all bike it's killer. Add to that the new Fox CTD Float shock and it's an amazing ride. In the Climb mode it has a pretty incredible pedaling platform, and with the flip of the CTD lever you've got an amazing trail bike, or descender.

As landii60 stated I had my Carbon Covert in Winterpark at 10,000' coming from sea level and it was holding it's own against all the Trek's and Specialized's with patented linkage systems.

If you're primarily concerned with climbing then the Bandit may be a bit more what you're looking for, but for a very capable Swiss-Army knife of bikes the Covert is the ticket.

Cheers fellas,

Lars
    Good to hear as a Covert 29 should be on my doorstep next week and I need an all-'round bike. I was a die-hard horst link man for years until I bought a Yeti ASR 7 two years ago. After that, I realized just how well a smartly designed single pivot bike can pedal and ride. Could I sense a bit of pedal feedback in very specific situations...maybe. Could I sense a bit of brake influence in very specific situations...maybe. Did it blow away my preconceptions on single pivots...absolutely! Can't wait to get the C29 built and flog it.