Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Tonic Fall Guy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    45

    Help with TransAM headtube

    Hi folks. I have what I believe to be a 2010 TransAM (originally I thought it was an '09, but my model has ISCG05 tabs and I don't think those were out yet, no?). I also have a Bandit and I'd like to know if there's a way for me to run my tapered fork on the Bandit on my TransAM. Here's some pics of the headtube. It's 44mm outside diameter (like Transition says of their new 2012 models) and the inside diameter is just under 1.5". Thanks a lot!

    Untitled

    Untitled
    Last edited by crashwins; 11-27-2012 at 07:33 AM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: in the trees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,818
    If I remember correctly, ISCG tabs were added after the first batch of frames on the '09s. The 2010s have more "sculpted" ISCG05 tabs that are different than the ones posted.

    As far as running a tapered fork, I do not think that it is possible to do so. Since the frame requires a Campy integrated headset, I don't think that you can to install a lower external cup headset to accommodate the tapered fork's 1.5" diameter. Campy headsets and 1.125" forks are your only choices.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,317
    Quote Originally Posted by in the trees View Post
    If I remember correctly, ISCG tabs were added after the first batch of frames on the '09s. The 2010s have more "sculpted" ISCG05 tabs that are different than the ones posted.

    As far as running a tapered fork, I do not think that it is possible to do so. Since the frame requires a Campy integrated headset, I don't think that you can to install a lower external cup headset to accommodate the tapered fork's 1.5" diameter. Campy headsets and 1.125" forks are your only choices.
    +1 to everything said!

    And good thing it came with the TBC headset, trying to find one in 45/45 Campy style yielded me no results, I could only find 36/45 at the time.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    570
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    +1 to everything said!

    And good thing it came with the TBC headset, trying to find one in 45/45 Campy style yielded me no results, I could only find 36/45 at the time.
    There are a million "campy" size integrated headset from BMX companies. That is the main headset used on BMX bikes. It is much less common int he MTB world, but the FSA Impact is pretty readily available. The 36/45 is the "cane creek" size integrated headset and not compatible with those frames.

    And correct... that frame will only work with a 1.125" fork. The newer frames are a 44mm inside diameter, not outside.

    Cheers!

  5. #5
    undercover brother
    Reputation: tangaroo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Bikes View Post
    There are a million "campy" size integrated headset from BMX companies. That is the main headset used on BMX bikes. It is much less common int he MTB world, but the FSA Impact is pretty readily available. The 36/45 is the "cane creek" size integrated headset and not compatible with those frames.

    And correct... that frame will only work with a 1.125" fork. The newer frames are a 44mm inside diameter, not outside.

    Cheers!
    +1 on the FSA Impact. I got mine for about $35 and it works flawlessly. Comes with Cane Creek bearing cups and it's nice not to have to press the headset.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •