middle ring single track

X-post from NorCal RE Hand Saws

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy View Post
    I bought pliebenberg a hand chain saw from Harbor Freight last year. Paul, have you tried it out yet? As I recall it was less than half that price.
    Filing a "Saw Report" or "Filing a Saw" report?

Thought this would be a better fit here...

Shoot Eddy I had forgotten where I had gotten that saw from; I did try it though (it was the second one I've had my hands on) and while it's functional I find that old-school pruning saws work much better. Especially for solo work; but there's an advantage to any 2-person saw (double the available power) I'd carry it with me only as an emergency back-up if I was on a multiday trip; at least they're light and compact.

It could be that some of the purpose-built hand chain saws may be much better but the Harbor Freight/REI saws are just re-purposed "regular" saw chains. While the tooth profile of a saw chain is very efficient; the kerf is quite wide compared to blade saws. Here's the photo whole tour of my "Saws for Trail Maintence":

A staged photo from today; a piece of a pepper tree stuck in a grape arbor---the Harbor Freight hand chain saw and a 14" Corona fixed-blade pruner.

Notice the kerfs

The chain saw has to remove almost 4x the amount of wood. Note; regardless of kerf width all saws cut wood fibers 2x (L & R if that makes any sense) so 4x the kerf doesn't necessarily mean 4x the energy expended.

Some of the saws I use. L to R by length; Harbor Freight hand chain saw, Corona 18" pruner, Corona 14" pruner, Corona 12" lock-back folding pruner (my most used saw), Corona (I think) 12" folding pruner, 10" Mfg-lable-has-fallen-off lock-back folding pruner with handy machete tip.

Why I prefer the Corona 18" over the Fiskars; the former's handle is a plywood laminate---the latter's is solid wood which is prone to cracking with heavy use. Both the Corona and Fiskar blades are very good.

My 2 favorite saws; if I know I'm going to be removing trees I take the 18" Corona; other wise the 12" folder. The 14" Corona in the previous photo is a 3rd choice because it JUST fits in my Camelback but I need to cover the blade.

Packed up and ready to go. Bottle for scale. The zip tie plus a mini-carabiner safeties the 18"er when strapped to the outside of my hydro. The folder is about the same size/weight as a small bike pump so it fits inside the pack nicely.

Just for further reading; there is a brand of saw which emulates the tooth design of a chain saw (No Mfg stamped on this blade)---these work quite well but are not as easily available as the Corona/Fiskars brands. Some folks (my late father was one) swear by these saws. Note; the tip teeth on the upper blade are very dull and the lower blade needs to be de-gummed.
    Last edited by pliebenberg; 02-18-2013 at 06:07 PM. Reason: a title that makes sense
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Silky is the best.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    Silky is great, but that thick Corona the author uses rips too. Silky isnt perfect!

Keep on Rockin...
    For years I've used the Fiskars wood handle folding (about 12" I think). They've changed the blade design once, for the better, maybe. What I like about that saw is that it fits very well in the side pocket of my Carhartt pants. The wood handle feels sturdier than plastic handled folding saws.

Used/have a long, fixed blade similar to the Corona, but find to too big to pack well, and too small for the big jobs. So I'll do what I can with the Fiskars (usually about 95% of the jobs), and come back with the Stihl for the rest.

With a folding saw in one pocket, nippers in another, a rake in one hand and a cutter mattock in the other, there is very little I can't do here in the NE woods as trail building goes.

With that said, I'm giving a Rogue tool a try this year that might combine the mattock and rake into one tool, and free up a hand to nip as I go.