mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Working with BLM

As I am considering building a trail, I have a lot of questions, so sorry about all the posts. But...I was wondering if anybody had any experience working with the BLM and trail building. Hopefully they aren't like what I have heard about the USFS...

The area I want to build a trail in is near two other trails. I don't know if these trails are legal or not, but if they aren't I don't want to be the reason they get dozed. You can tell a lot of work went into them and I don't want to have them destroyed. Any suggestions?

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    The best thing you can do is contact your local club and volunteer as a trail steward. Aligning yourself with a respected club will do the most for you. They will know if the trail is legal or not and probably already have a relationship with the BLM.

I have worked with the BLM as a paid (sub)contractor with IMBA. I guess it depends on where you are, though, but the land manager I worked with in Humboldt County, CA, was very open to our project and welcomed bikes.

Also, your local club can work with the BLM to apply for an RTP grant, which is federal money set aside to help build trails.

Good luck!

D