Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Wood Berms in Iowa

Here are a few pics of the new wooden berm and wooden berm bridge we completed in Davenport Iowa at Sunderbruch Park. There isn't a lot of info on designing wooden berms out there so I thought I'd throw these up so peeps could check'em out. Total length of both berms is about 105 feet and the bank on the 2nd berm is almost 7 feet long/tall.

I've got a 4 page write up (with pics) on the process we used to design them if anyone wants it, I just haven't figured out how to post a full pdf on here and I'm having knee surgery Friday so it might be a while. Thanks to the Friends of Off Road Cycling (FORC) members answering the call for help, we got this, a 12x20 deck in the middle of a 33 foot long bridge and 1 mile of benchwork done in 2 months.

Believe in yourself? Well, of course. Just be aware that believing in myself has been the root cause of most of my injuries!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    OK, so its not a wooden berm, same trail though. Here's a couple pics of the Deck Bridge. The trail goes across the entrance/exit on rough cut lumber 4 feet wide, the deck has standard green treat deck boards.

Believe in yourself? Well, of course. Just be aware that believing in myself has been the root cause of most of my injuries!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Wow, great work! I need a video of someone railing those!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Heres the short video from the local media that shows a few of us banking it around the Mayor of Davenport, Bill Gluba.
    http://www.kwqc.com/global/video/pop...t1=News&h1=New

And here's a pic of me doin it, but only because I was leading the pack and subsequent pics show the other riders were as high as I am!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Nice work! Looks like a great build.

Perpetual n00b
    In IOWA! Can ya believe that?

Heavylegs
    Apr 2012
    great job!!! looks like a blast. How hard was it to get local media coverage? Oh and good luck with the knee

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by redd4573 View Post
    How hard was it to get local media coverage?
    The Steward for the park did a GREAT job explaining to city parks dept that this is now a "destination", and since it's only one (that we know of) within 300 miles, the city contacted the local tourism bureau, the mayor came to do a symbolic ribbon cutting and so the media showed up.

Once they saw the pics and the structural drawings, they wanted to go into the park and shoot some video of it, we had vehicles ready to take them to within a 100 foot walk through the woods to get the videos and pics.

As we're walking in I told the mayor I had a FANTASTIC media shot for him if he was willing, and his immediate response was- "tell me where to stand (big smile)" The media LOVED it, so the park dept loves it even more now. And uh, one thing I should have mentioned that is ultimately critical...

We applied for and received a $5000 grant from QC Wild Places, a division of River Action- the local "get involved with nature and trails along the Mississippi corridor" group. Not only did they give us the money- but they LOVED what we did with it and told us to apply again next year!!!

Heavylegs
    Apr 2012
    Thanks so much for the info , I was recently voted into the position of Trail Stewart for our brand new IMBA chapter Rust Belt Riders Trail Coalition with serves eastern Ohio, Being new to such challenges in a non established club means coping others successes. Thanks agin and good luck on future projects. And don't forget to post them!

I like bikes
    If you build it.....THEY will come, lol. Had to do it! Great work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for posting that.

It looks very good and inspires because I'm sitting with 3-400 board feet of locally harvested hardwood and the budget to do something.

I like bikes
    I would like a copy of the write-up you did as I am now in the process of building 6 miles of singletrack for my community. Any ideas/help you can send my way would be great.

mtbr member
    The full write up is BEAUTIFUL! It definitely would benefit anyone looking to build a wood berm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    In IOWA! Can ya believe that?
    Wow, my visions of Iowa mountain biking never included anything like that. Great job working with local officials. Great job with the berms. Great job getting the local media involved.

All I can think of when I hear about Davenport, IA.......

Pick a wheel size...
    As Steward of this trail system, I have to give all the credit for the berms to Vibrato. The guy literally spent 2 months in the woods laying out the design.

I dilly dally around with the political end of things, lay out trail, and preach our/IMBA's trail principles; this dude puts it all to work and makes it happen.

Seriously, if you're ever in the Quad City area in Iowa/Illinois then you owe it to yourself to hit Sunderbruch Park in Davenport, IA. PM me if so and I'd gladly give you the guided tour.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Without the old school peeps getting thing started, we wouldn't even be involved in mountain biking- and we wouldn't have had the chance to continue to build on the fantastic relationship that they started. I took this berm project as my short term magnum opus, but without the previous stewards and dirt crews setting the groundwork, and the current steward doing the 2 year plans, mapping, signage, and all of the things on the "political" side that Jimithing takes care of I wouldn't have gotten the chance to even try.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, so MANY people helped when they could- frankly, I can't find the words to tell you how much that means. I know the hardcore group is getting tons of credit- and we appreciate it- but similar features in other areas has teken up to 2 years to build. Every hour someone helped was an hour we didn't have to- and there were over 650 hours on this trail extension.

If you know someone (or a small group) who is trained in trailbuilding and doing a big project, go help with THEIR vision. (Too many cooks and all that... if they've got the vision and the support of the park, the LAST thing they need is someone trying to changfe everything in the 11th hour. Start as a laborer- I did.) An hour or two from you and your buddies might make the difference between the trail being open today or in 3 weeks. Or a year. Nervous because you don't know them? They want to build singletrack, what more do you need to know?

Our web dood is gonna load the schematics and the write up on our local site and I will link to it here so everyone can have acces, might take a couple days.Post here or PM me and I'll do my best to answer questions.

We travel all over the country to ride, if you build one theres a good chance we'll be in the area eventually!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Here is the technical design: http://qcforc.org/users/vibrato/Bank...uchJubilee.pdf

In the IMPORTANT section where it says lumber shall be chosen on site by a Certified Building Code Official- that's because I am a CBCO. If you don't have one in your club, insert whatever quilified person you have, engineer, architect, licensed contractor, "person qualified to determine structural integrety", etc. Really, you just want to show that you are aware the lumber isn't rated and that you are overbuilding it.

Here is the "Wood Berms" write up: http://qcforc.org/users/vibrato/WoodenBerms.pdf

THIS IS A PLANNING DOCUMENT, NOT CONSTRUCTION DIRECTIONS!! I'm happy to answer any questions anyone might have after you go through it afew times. Most wooden berms should be a lot less involved than this, but calculating the radius, angle and speed will be the same.

I like bikes
    Thank you for the links...Great stuff! You guys should be proud of what you have created.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Wow, awesome work, and thanks a ton for the great write-up. It's really nice to hear about how others had to think their way through the design and build.

By the way, if you do feel like writing up a proof of your berm angle calculations, centripetal accels and all, I'm sure plenty of nerds out here on the interwebz would appreciate it.

mtbr member
    SICK! I need to ride it!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    NICE WORK! Thats awesome!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'll be riding those trails in Late August! I get back from Columbia (South America) around Aug - 7th. I cant wait to see those trails. Fantastic Job.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vibrato View Post
    . . . . There isn't a lot of info on designing wooden berms out there. . . .
    great work man.

i have been trying to get good info out there for a few years by taking my own photos on trips and reposting photos in threads.

Wooden Berm
    Wooden Berm

Colonnade, Seattle

Duthie Hill, Washington , under construction

i took this pic at Whistler:

Winter Park, Colorado:

nice berm - Page 3

a curved wallride is a type of berm:

i would love to see a freeride mtb trail version of this low-high-low wave/ribbon style berm:

indoor, joyride150 i believe

this is dirt, but you could definitely have a wood berm be this steep as well. you're not really "railing" until the steepness is 60+ degrees:

the famous 'red bull' 180 berm at Ray's in Cleveland:

Trailside Bike Park Opens In Park City, Utah | Mountain Bike Review

Building a Freeride park at my house... photo from the Mtbr Mountain Bike Photo Gallery

Wood berm pics - North Shore Mountain Biking Forums

Diablo freeride park

And last but not least . . . . building a transitioned face bowl corner.
    Bowled In with Ryan Corrigan (bowl building how-to)
    Bowled In with Ryan Corrigan (bowl building how-to) on Vimeo

180 curved vert wallride at Ray's in Cleveland:

Bermed corner photos?
    Last edited by cmc4130; 07-22-2012 at 01:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Where in Indiana can I find berms like this???? I'm thinking no where lol

Pick a wheel size...
    Quote Originally Posted by d_read View Post
    Where in Indiana can I find berms like this???? I'm thinking no where lol
    Doesn't Brown County have some wooden berms?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast