Zach Attack

UAV craft for recon

I know, it sounds crazy. But is there anyone else who is doing this?

We have employed a four prop chopper with remote viewing goggles twice now. Fricken amazing! This has been sweet for extreme areas where steep rocky elements make route finding difficult.

We demo'd the unit at our last quest to Ruby Bluff which will be part of our Mexican Mine alignment. Here is a short video of this... going up ruby bluffs flyover the group - YouTube
    Learn to love it[SIZE="4"][/SIZE]
    www.foresttrailsalliance.org

would be difficult to use here....dense forests everywhere and no real exposure giving the copter room.

I had a prof who bought one to use for aerial forest survey work....but it didn't quite work how he planned. to get over the trees, he had to start in a clearing and have a very light wind day. it limited how much he could use it and where he could use it.

mtbr member
    I've considered using an automated glider for aerial terrain photography. Google maps doesn't really have adequate resolution for trailbuilding purposes.
    It's amazing how cheap this stuff is really. A full featured Ardupilot autopilot is ~$300.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    would be difficult to use here....dense forests everywhere and no real exposure giving the copter room.

I had a prof who bought one to use for aerial forest survey work....but it didn't quite work how he planned. to get over the trees, he had to start in a clearing and have a very light wind day. it limited how much he could use it and where he could use it.
    That's interesting, what was he surveying? They use full size fixed wing up here for forest surveys as far as I know.

I'm not exactly sure what he was surveying. canopy closure possibly. forest health. He also studied forest insects so it's possible. My suspicion is that he actually bought the thing to play with and used the forest survey explanation as a way to get it with his research budget money. Probably means he hadn't quite yet figured out exactly what to examine with it because he needed to figure out how well it worked in a forest environment in the first place.

If he could actually find a legit use for it, it'd probably be a lot cheaper than hiring a pilot and a full-sized aircraft for the same job, especially for small projects and classroom demonstrations and such.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    That looks like a good tool for a visual survey given you have an open enough environment to use it. Having a birds eye view would be much better for routing around tricky spots than just using topo maps on the ground.

A larger UAV with a a LIDAR rig for high resolution terrain mapping would make route plotting a breeze; LIDAR generally works through the canopy and brush. Add a waypoint following autopilot and it would be a very useful system for surveying large rugged areas. I imagine we will see these in the not too distant future. There is currently a FAA ban on commercial UAVs, because there are no specific regulations for them, but after the regulations get sorted this technology might be affordable/accessible for trail building applications.

Zach Attack

New Video of Persied Adventure wknd

Learn to love it[SIZE="4"][/SIZE]
    www.foresttrailsalliance.org