mtbr member
    Apr 2008

TTF for a trail construction project: Please post inspirational pictures

Hi all

I am a forest manager in the process of constructing a mountain bike freeride/xc trail. I intend to use features present in the forests to make the trail exciting. Rocks will be used as jumps and obstacles, logs will be converted to skinnies.
    The trail is as is 3 kms and rather slow and technical. Its not much land available, so I will make it a puzzle to complete the trail and I will try to slow the riders by spending time on the features on the trail. I also hope that challenging features that riders will not likely stick on the first ride, will make them return to the trail to beat it.

But I am looking for inspiration for exciting features to build with some basic building instructions. What I intend to do is:
    Skinnies
    Berms
    Ladder bridges
    See-saws

Please fill me in with more features with pictures!

Johan

beer thief
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

A few things to check out

is no longer new
    May 2008
    wow thanks general. that is exactly what i needed.

I'm on fire.
    My suggestion would be to build things that are very strong and need little maintenance. The pics above are good - full sized logs, big rocks.
    Sanity is the trademark of a weak mind.
    Cycle CNY

Don't worry, be happy!
    we've got lots of great rock ( and a truck load of cedar donated by the local utility)

mtbr member
    I've got a few links for you to check out...

first, here's one from the pinkbike archives. Covers trail design, general trails, freeride and north shore stunts, dirt jumps, and additional things. It's not as good of a referance as the IMBA trail building book, but it's free and a good place to get a feel for things. Also, don't let the fact that I'm linking to pinkbike scare you...the guide is actually pretty well written.

Second, have a browse through some of these threads from the nsmb boards. A few of the trail builders keep "trail logs" - basically a blog of their trails to date with pictures showing what they've done.
    this is the general building board over on nsmb.
    this is a thread about a trail in Calgary
    this is one of the (many) north shore trail logs available

lots of extremely inspirational pictures available in the threads above.

Hope those help!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

ttf hints

thanks all for your inspirational links. We got material sawn for approx 150meters of ladder bridges and building like mad. IŽll post pics of our structures soon!

We want... a shrubbery!
    Not sure how technical you're talking about, but depending on your target riders, you may want to consider having obstacle bypasses (for the more difficult obstacles) for the less experienced riders (I can think of when I was younger, there was nothing more frustrating than not being able to ride through sections of a trail but instead walkin' the bike...)
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.
    Hobbes : Maybe you shouldn't use chocolate milk.
    Calvin : I tried Cola, but the bubbles went up my nose.

Flyin Canine
    Check out www.trailworkers.com/ and go to the soquel forest for lots of ideas. The site is currently down for some reason but there are pics of the teeter-totters, log rides, jumps, etc that we have built using all natural wood and rock, no nails or 2x4s.

mtbr member
    Here are some from a local trail that was built in conjunction with the IMBA trail building group.

Front side of wooden ladder up to a rock:

Backside of same rock:

Rock Garden:

Wooden ramps:

Flyin Canine
    Here's a better link to the trailworkers site showing the trail features that we build using only local materials found in the forest and using no nails, or screws

http://www.trailworkers.com/archived...s.cfm?ParkID=4

Fly fat ass fly !
    Quote Originally Posted by BillT
    Here are some from a local trail that was built in conjunction with the IMBA trail building group.

Front side of wooden ladder up to a rock:

Backside of same rock:

Rock Garden:

Wooden ramps:

Hey thats Santos !!
    I used to ride there all the time .
    Now i wish Boise would try some building like that.
    By not allowing the progression of trails your cheating everyone out of their potential.
    DEITYCOMPONENTS.COM