Ride da mOOn Moderator

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Trail Workers unite here

To all who dig the DIRT or help in anyway!

Post it here!

Everyone should be recognized and have their 15 seconds of fame for all your help to make things better:

Info could include:

How many hours/year
    Your area(geographic)
    Your club
    Fav trail
    Fav work story
    Fav tool(not part of your person -- LOL)
    Awards you won
    Fav material to work with(Rocks, mud, sand)

Your favorite Snake who visits you on trail workdays!

Let me say by the way my personal "THANKS FOR ALL YOU DO"

NICE KID...NICE

I will bite...

Hours worked... As many as I can
    Area... Virginia
    Club...Pedalshop.com
    Fav Trail... My boneyard and the Goose
    Fav Work Story... Not much to tell
    Fav Tool... Milwaulkee 18 volt cordless drill and my synthetic handle pick ax
    Awards...Self Satisfaction and a Pimp place to ride
    Fav Material...Virginia Dirt, cedar logs, pressure treated anything
    Last edited by wookie freeride; 08-06-2008 at 09:48 PM.
    "At that point man, your just riding your bike."

Transition

Pedalshop

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA
    To all who dig the DIRT or help in anyway!

Post it here!

Everyone should be recognized and have their 15 seconds of fame for all your help to make things better:

Info could include:

How many hours/year
    Your area(geographic)
    Your club
    Fav trail
    Fav work story
    Awards you won

Let me say by the way my personal "THANKS FOR ALL YOU DO"
    How many hours/year: 60 - 250 hours a year on trail over past 5 years and countless more hours raising money, going to meetings, working with officials and working at getting volunteers. Also lots of hours scouting, flagging and hiking in spring to avoid water issues.

Your area(geographic): S. WI, USA

Your club: www.madcitydirt.org

Fav trail: BMSP

Fav work story: My time pales compared to my co-trail manager WaltDizzy who posts here. He's the absolute god of area trail effort.

Fav tool(not part of your person -- LOL): I'm the bench cut czar so anything Pulaski, Shulaski or Rogue like.

Awards you won: We've received a large grant from REI, help from Pacific Cycle, we were voted best state park trails in WI by DNR user polling and I received some grass roots sponsorship from Transition Bike Company for my efforts.

Fav material to work with(Rocks, mud, sand): My middle aged back has a hard time with rock these days so I'll say any material that creates good bench and flow.

Right now I'm sort of taking a break for 1-2 months. I've put getting trail done over riding and that plus a health issue lead to more than a year of no riding. I'll show at an IMBA visit this weekend, I'm working on a city bike park but otherwise I have a new bike to ride, blood to donate to trails and some new bruises to collect.

I would probably do more if I did not have a pair of 4 year olds, 7 y.o., wife, own a business and be as lame a guitar player as I am bike rider.

Ride Responsibly
    Too much to log but most memorable would be repairing storm damage to the Feather Falls Trail and the forest service guys giving us custom made t-shirts to thank us.
    http://www.lakeorovillebicyclists.or...g.w300h305.jpg
    next would be running over the rubber "water bars" we put in up on Butcher Ranch. not the best solution but still there last time I rode.

Woodlot local
    How many hours/year: Impossible to calculate but never enough

Area(geographic): Maple Ridge, BC, Canada: The Woodlot

Club: Fraser Valley Mountain Bike Association / www.fvmba.com

Fav trail: Snakes and Ladders

Fav work story: too many.....read my ride journal

Fav tool(not part of your person -- LOL): mattock, shovel, saw and axe

Awards won: none, I build for the fun of riding my own trail

Fav material to work with(Rocks, mud, sand): rock, dirt and wood (cedar) all together in harmony.

Favorite animal who visits on trail workdays: not many snakes around here, just bears and cougars and deer

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Hours this year: ~200 including gaining access, trail work, planning, etc

Area: Lansing, MI

Club: Mid-State Chapter of the Michigan Mountain Biking Association (mmba.org)

Fav trail: The one in progress (Anderson Park)

Fav tool: Leaf blower and anything used to move dirt

Fav material: I would love to have more rock, but we mostly have hardpack dirt

Plenty of animals watch as we work and the deer will use the trails hours after they are completed.

featherweight clydesdale
    How many hours/year:
    Trailwork:
    Total Club hours = 800 to 900 per year
    My personal Hours = 80+ yearly on private trails, not included in club #'s
    Club hours include my 30 to 40 hours per year on public land

Planning, trail design, talking with land managers: 40 per year.
    Club business, meetings: 50 per year

Your area(geographic): Central Virginia (Charlottesville)

Your club: www.cambc.org

Fav trail: I'm partial to my backyard trail, a side project on the common area of a 1,300 home subdivision development. Lots of wooded greenspace, and we have over 6 miles of trail, fully approved by the board of directors. Putting them together in a ride takes over an hour. I have another year's worth of trail to build and it's all protected from future development. Very little red tape. As a private project, volunteer assistance is more limited and I avoid hitting up club resources to avoid any potential problem with our 501c3 status. There will be a full post on this with pics in the future.

Fav work story: talking the guy with a the $100k landscape contract (my subdivision) into buying an SK 650. It only took putting a pulaski in his hand for 3 hours...."Will, I don't work my guys this hard" I say, "well there's this mini dozer...."

Fav tool: Easy, that would be the SK 650

Awards you won: Charlottesville Area Community Foundation Bama Works Grant: $4,800 funded by Dave Mathews Band to help build potentially 60 miles of new trail in new county parks.

Fav material to work with: nice clay loam with a mix of assorted pebbles to fend off erosion.

NICE KID...NICE

Bobrocket

You are a lucky man and you and your crew do great work. I would give up my first born to ride the Woodlot just once.
    "At that point man, your just riding your bike."

Transition

Pedalshop

Don't worry, be happy!
    How many hours/year
    Your area(geographic)
    Your club
    Fav trail
    Fav work story
    Awards you won
    I spend unaccountable hours doing admin, planning, meetings, grant writing, etc. I think I would probably cry if I tried to count them up.

Club - www.fttrc.org I'd love to change the name but that's not a huge priority right now. Eastern Washington, Spokane area.

Fav Trail?
    Wow, lots.

Fav work story last month we had two projects going on, at our bike park site. The DJ builders were running a bobcat, and we were running a chipper. One of the neighbors called to report the noise and activity. When the sheriff pulled up, the Park Manager was on site to let him know everything was totally cool.

Fav tool - either an action hoe or a Pulaski. I feel very studly using a Pulaski.

Fav material - I love working with soil when it's at the "perfect" level of moisture

Awards - now, this I am good at. I have discovered I can write a grant! Since I founded the club in 2005 -
    REI Conservation grant, $2200 ( for tools)
    NPS RTCA grant
    Kona Free ride Grant
    ESRI grant, Arc GIS for $100
    $2000 grant from the Parks Foundation for trail markers.
    We may be getting another $2k from NPS for map production

Now, the biggest accomplishment is that we have a really dedicated team of volunteers doing a lot of things. Here's a good example

Beacon skills park is finally underway -

edit, add a photo why not!!
    Last edited by formica; 08-07-2008 at 05:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Hello all, my name Georgiy Romanov and i trailbuilder and mountain biker from Russia

How many hours/year
    I was starting digging the dirt in 2003, in 2005 i understood that mountainbiking for me often means trailbuilding, than rode bike

Your area(geographic)
    Russia, Moscow Region, Solnechnogorsk City

Your club
    None this things yet.

Fav trail
    Love all of them.

Fav work story
    Too many time need to write, sorry

Shovel

Awards you won
    A lot of "THANKS" from bikers and i have taken the second place in one of the weeks at NSMB photo contest this year

wood and dirt. We don't have rocks or sand in our area

Not have snakes at all, only beautiful birds like heron or falcon

P.S. I attached some picks with my friend. He ride what i build
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    How many hours/year: Last year about 600 hours of trail and admin work. This year my co-trailbuilders and I scaled back...I only have about 200-300 hours of admin and trail work.
    My area(geographic): Southwest Idaho
    The club I belong: Southwest Idaho Mountain Bike Assoc. I hope to be helping Formica in the near future.
    Fav trail: I like 'em all, but the 1.5-2 miles of trail friends and I cut out for a trail seems to stick in my head. It flows well.
    Fav work story: Taking time off from my day job to relax by brush cutting and clearing trees for a trail crew.
    Fav tool(not part of your person -- LOL): Jonsered Chainsaw. Other fav tool is the Rogue Hoe.
    Awards you won: None. However, I have been awarded headaches, problems with communication, and a few insults. On the bright side, this year, along with the help of some good political supporters and even better friends, the Recreational Trails Program grant I wrote for a new trail, trailhead, and offstreet parking areas was approved....to the tune of $65k.
    Fav material to work with(Rocks, mud, sand): Rock. I love to armor and crib trails.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    How many hours/year - Stopped counting a long time ago.

Your area(geographic) - Coastal South Carolina (Charleston)

Your club - www.lowcountryfattirefreaks.com

Fav trail - Marrington

Fav work story - During the early construction of Marrington I was working with a couple of young fellows that were clearing brush from my chainsaw operations. While taking a break they were wandering the edge of the pond we were working very close to. One of them called to me and said, "Look what we found," each holding up 2 newly hatched croaking alligators. I quickly told them that they should put them down and run. I had barely finished my warning when "Momma" having heard her babies croaking, came splashing in. I had to find a couple more volunteers to replace them, as there was no coaxing them back near the pond.

Fav tool(not part of your person -- LOL) Pulaski

Awards you won - They give out awards???

Fav material to work with(Rocks, mud, sand) Yes
    Trail Builder, Trail Rider,and Trail Protector

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    How many hours/year

This year, probably somewhere inbetween 3 to 4 hundred. Too much since i work construction full time as well

Your area(geographic)

Seattle Washington (PNW)

Your club

Evergreen Mountain Biking Alliance (formerly BBTC)

Fav trail

To work on? Much like riding, it don't matter much, i have no single fave.

Fav work story

None come to mind

Whatever works best for the job.

Awards you won

Special recognition thanks and all that, i don't think our club has an official award.

Whatever works best for doing a bombproof job. i do get burned out working on one specific material, i like mixing it up.

Your favorite Snake who visits you on trail workdays!:eek

No snakes, i have a hummingbird that comes to visit at the Colonnade which is cool.

.~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    How many hours/year If I counted it would seem like work.

Your area(geographic) South West Idaho or any trail my tires meet that needs attention.

Your club The mothership is Southwest Idaho Mountain Bike Association (SWIMBA). But the real club is the dirty dozen that always show up to dig! Viscypher, Oldman, Smiley, Nels, ImpDude, Ted, Mr. Stealth, TheKid, Virginia, thanks for sharing in the passion of dirt and enjoying all the laughs.

Fav trail Anything with a Meeker corner!

Fav work story This year I introduced my 11-year-old daughter to building trail. After a great bike ride, I took Megan to a section of trail with a corner that needed leveled out. I gave her a Rogue Hoe and got her started widening and digging out the uphill side. After about 15 minutes I heard what I expected, “Dad this is really hard work.” We talked a little about pacing your self, swinging the tools with your offhand and changing tools so you don’t get too tired. Then came a comment that blew me away. “Dad you don’t do this because you like it, you have to do it because you love it and it makes so many people happy!” Why is it that an eleven year old can figure out we dig for the self satisfaction and the joy it brings others, when 90% of the biking community hasn’t figured it out? She now has six hours of trail building under her belt.

Fav tool A light weight mattock, Fiskars loppers (fit nicely in the camelback for everyday riding), Rogue Hoe and last but not least the Jonsered saws

Awards you won My cooler has graciously award several beverages (usually something from Deschuttes brewery) at the end of hard day of building.

Fav material to work with(Rocks, mud, sand) Earth

Your favorite Snake who visits you on trail workdays! Snakes? Is that was keeps stealing the running shoes I leave at tool stashes?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Liaison
    I work from 100 to 150 hours a year. I live in San Diego and am involved with the local IMBA affiliate the San Diego Mountain Biking Association (SDMBA). I'm currently Vice President of the club so I do other things besides trail work but I enjoy trail work the most. I participate in scheduled trail work days for my club, a local park, and also a park nearby that lets me do solo work when conditions are right.

My favorite trail is Sycamore Canyon. I can get on the trail a block from my house so it's really great when I just decide to ride on the spur of the moment or--this time of year-- when it cools off enough.

I've always liked working with the McLeod but lately I've been enjoying the Pulaski a lot--it really helps break through the crusty stuff we call soil around here. A close second is my Milwaukee brand hand truck which I take whenever I think there'll be rock work. I've moved some really huge rocks with that thing.

I've won a couple "worker of the year" awards from the club and parks but that's just a little frill. I do like the recognition every couple years though.

Our soil here in San Diego can be pretty nasty stuff. Hard as rock in the Summer which leads to moondust on top as it wears. In the winter (if we get rain) the soil can be a lot better to work with. We've pretty much given up on any tread work from June-September. So I guess my favorite work conditions are damp. I also like to work with rock.

I hit a state volunteer in the head with a rock chip one time while using a rock breaker. I had a helmet, he didn't. When I saw him a week later the left side of his face was paralyzed. I was freaked out that I had maimed this poor guy for life. Turns out it was a short spell of Bell's Palsy and it went away after awhile. Of course all his doctors said it had nothing to do with getting hit in the head with a rock... The guy was a good sport and even said that at a halloween party all the guests thought he was putting 'em all on with his face gag.

My favorite trail pose: the Johnny Cash

SDMBA Liaison, Sycamore Canyon/Goodan Ranch Open Space Preserves

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Gardner
    I work
    Dude i love your avy. Taco wheel, that's funny...
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by GR_Russia
    Hello all
    Welcome drook!

Thank you for sharing, your log teeter looks very nice.

It's fun for me to see mountain biking from around the world and your pictures are the first i've seen from Russia.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

26er
    How many hours/year: Too many to keep track of
    Your area(geographic): Southwest Idaho
    Your club: SWIMBA and "The Dirty Dozen" a collection of guys as mentioned by Budda who seek no rewards except the personal enjoyment of being able to ride the fruits of there labors. This hapless crew seems to build and maintain miles of trails every year officially and unofficially.
    Fav trail: The one I am currently riding.
    Fav work story: Do you want the short or long version?
    Fav tool: My new favorite is the Stihl Kombi and my mini fiskar loppers
    Awards you won: I award myself when the work is done by riding the fruits of my labors
    Fav material to work with(Rocks, mud, sand): Tool crushing rocks!

Your favorite Snake who visits you on trail workdays! I hate rattlesnakes, hopefully they will never meet me when I am holding the Kombi!
    Live to ride!

Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member
    How many hours/year
    My First Season working on TRAILS regularly. Working Four ten hour days

Your area(geographic)
    Washington State

Your club (who I work for)
    USFS Trail Crew, Snoqualmie Ranger District

Fav trail
    GRCC trail system

Fav work story
    No i wasn't on a bike but. I was lucky enough to get to hike 8 extra mile because the Forest Service doesn't have a key to there own gate.

Pulaski

Awards you won
    None

I like building stuff with Rocks
    Take a kid Hunting!

mtbr member
    How many hours/year
    This year about 150 hours so far doing trail work and about a 100 doing Web Design.

Your area(geographic)
    Eastern Washington

Your club (who I work for)
    FTTRC

Fav trail
    any one I've built, like this one

Fav work story
    Having some kids riding the skills park and getting really excited when I told them what was to come.

Sledge Hammer

Awards you won
    None, chilling out in the woods is reward enough

wood

Last edited by indiemtbkr; 08-20-2008 at 08:09 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    How many hours/year
    This year at least 300 hours in the woods laying out, building or maintaining trails from April thru August.
    Your area(geographic)
    New England - Specifically the Connecticut River valley of Massachusetts

Your club
    NEMBA - Pioneer Valley Chapter

Fav trail
    My favorite trail in the area is the Robert Frost from Wendell State Forest West toward Leverett - if I limit the criteria to trails I designed or built, it would be one of the three on the Deerfield Ridge.

Fav work story
    No work story, but I really love seeing the smiles of folks as they exit one of my trails for the first time.

Fav tool
    For clearing the trail corridor, removing face slappers and generally keeping the damn beech branches under control, I have a pair of anvil loppers that are indispensable. They are always in the trunk of the car or tied off the back of my camelback. If the trail isn't at that stage - the Pulaski filed sharp!

Awards you won
    See favorite work story

Fav material to work with
    Dirt and Rock why not love what you have?

Most interesting creature to visit a trail day - Goats.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    How many hours/year: I dunno, probably ~80-100.

Your area(geographic): St. John's, Newfoundland area.

Your club: None

Fav trail: Hard to answer this one, though I do get a lot of satisfaction out of riding trails that I helped build.

Fav work story: I was in the woods doing some rock armouring by myself. I was concentrating on placing a big rock when I heard a snort. I looked up and I was face to face with a large bull moose. It was weird, he wasn't at all afraid of me. On the other hand, I was petrified. He sized me up for a couple of seconds, then turned around and nonchalantly sauntered off into the woods.

Fav tool: Mattock or sledge.

Awards you won: None. Having folks tell me that one of my trails is awesome is pretty gratifying, though that isn't why I do it.

Fav material to work with(Rocks, mud, sand).
    Rock. We have an abundance of it and trails routed over rock or features built out of rock require very little maintenance.

Your favorite Snake who visits you on trail workdays!: No snakes around here. Lots of moose, hares and ptarmigan though.

I wish I could motivate more people to pitch in with trail work.