Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Trail tools... Where do you get em?

Where do you get good trail tools such as a Mcleod type rake/hoe?... Trying to get some work done aroune here!

I build my own.
    I bought mine directly from Corona.
    Corona Tools: Quality Garden and Landscape Tools
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

boxcar
    I've been able to find what I need here:

Forestry Suppliers, Inc. 800-647-5368

XXIX
    Rogue Hoe: The Best Hoes for Farm and Garden

I hate stickys but this forum should have a sticky for trail supplies, tools and resources.

Single Speed Junkie
    +1 for Ben Meadows

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorB View Post

I hate stickys but this forum should have a sticky for trail supplies, tools and resources.
    Every tool has a purpose, and needs very by region and topography but Rogue Hoe should be your first tool.

I build my own.

Good idea for a sticky. PM sent to Vis.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

JDM
    mtbr member
    Same as above: order rogue hoes from the manufacturer and McLeods and fire rakes from Ben meadows. We also have a few $30 yellow handle pulaskis from home depot. They are holding up well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    ben meadows had rogue hoes on sale a month ago, I am guessing they will be back on sale soon. for me the nupla mcleod is the first necessity a bit heavier that rogue hoes but you need something out there for tamping and the curved, smaller head of the rogue, not going to do it.

mtbr member
    I prefer Corona McLeod over Nupla's since the head is way, way stronger. They are also have a better balance (with the wood handle) for day-long use. I get mine either from Forestry Suppliers (on sales) or directly from the manufacturer.

Nupla pulaski w/ fiberglass handle. You can have them via Fastenal, which have store virtually everywhere.

Council fire rake are another great tool, depending on your soil conditions. From Forestry Suppliers too.

Rogue hoe, directly from the manufacturer in the States, or I sell them in Canada.

Suunto clinometer are the reference. Can be found dirty cheap on eBay sometimes, or via Ben Meadows | Forestry Suppliers |*Dendrotik

GPS, we mostly use Garmin. The new 62 serie is more than enough for most trailwork. For more advanced stuff, Trimble is the reference.

Topo map source vary a lot by region. Locally, I use TopoNav maps at 1:20,000 based on the natural ressources ministry data. I know a lot of places in the States have free 1:50 to 1:12 maps available on the net.

GIS software:
    - ArcView is the industry reference. If you're serious, you need to learn it.
    - Quantum GIS is the free (open-source) equivalent of Arc, which is awesome but a bit more advanced than what most users will actually need
    - Touratech QV6 is a great intermediate package
    - Garmin MapSource is the entry-level package which can be pretty useful sometimes
    - Google Earth Pro is a great tool

For bike park projects, many builders now use Google Sketch-It (Pro). Very easy to use and plenty powerful to give a good VIS of the project. Serious project still use Autocad since its the industry standard for technical drawing.

Specialized trailbuilding mechanized equipement:
    - Sutter (or Sweco) trail dozer
    - Singletrack SK240
    - Rokon Trailbreaker is a 2WD off-road moto
    - Canycom, Morooko, Kubota and Yanmar offer various size of tracked wheelbarrow up to full-on tracked transporter
    - Ditch Witch (SK650, SK755), Bobcat (MT55) and Toro offer tracked tool carrier (think a walk-behind or stand-on Bobcat) that are great tool with a 6way blade or bucket attached to it
    - DR Mower offer great ATV-towable brush cutter out of VT
    - Helac have probably the best tilt-head for excavator on the market
    - Engcon have probably the best roto-tilt head for excavator on the market
    A trailbuilder from the north

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by twright205 View Post
    ben meadows had rogue hoes on sale a month ago, I am guessing they will be back on sale soon. for me the nupla mcleod is the first necessity a bit heavier that rogue hoes but you need something out there for tamping and the curved, smaller head of the rogue, not going to do it.
    The rogue hoe RH80 can tamp as well the nupla and out cut it 2 to 1, only down side is when raking duff the handle is shorter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Amazon has a lot of tools from the brands discussed above. I personally got a rogue hoe, truper rake, and true temper pulaski axe off of there.

It's about showing up.
    The BTCEB is going to buy a fair number of tools with a grant. It was nice to come here and find good info.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Logging and forestry supply. Some local hardware stores have hazel hoes.

mtbr member
    Just bought the Rogue Hoe FB70H and it has been the best $56 spent in a long time!!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Tools for Trails

Here is a new site. These guys are just getting going on the webstore. Should be a great resource.

TOOLS for TRAILS, A supplier for quality hand tools and supplies for trail building - McCleod, Pulaski, Hoes, Pick Mattock

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have bought my pick, shovel, and McLeod from ZacĀ® Tools - "The Strongest Shovels on Earth". Their tools are tough - fiberglass handles with strong reinforcement to the actual tool/cutting edge. - Gus

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by suggg View Post
    I have bought my pick, shovel, and McLeod from ZacĀ® Tools - "The Strongest Shovels on Earth". Their tools are tough - fiberglass handles with strong reinforcement to the actual tool/cutting edge. - Gus
    The Zac round point shovel with an ash handle and sharpened edges is my favorite trail building tool for digging, cutting scrub oak roots, levering rocks. If you haven't used one you are in for a treat, there is no shovel like it that I know of. Be aware that the extra HD models are SUPER beefy and VERY heavy. I personally prefer the ash handles (better balance, lighter) but the super HD tools can definitely take more abuse. The HD bow rake is great for raking out a tread through small embedded rock fields, it's much beefier than a McLeod.

Best to buy in club quantities (over $250 our last order) from Zac Tools for reasonable shipping fees.
    Last edited by bsieb; 02-24-2013 at 09:48 AM.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

mtbr member
    I have thoroughly abused my Lamberton Rakes, building single track in DG and boulder riddled areas. They have held up very well over the past 7 years. The large Lamberton also is a better cutter / digger into steep slopes than my McLeod.

The Lamberton Rake
    PrOxY

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    I second Zac Tools. (BuyZacTools.com)

The McLeod heads are well made and sturdy with no nut on the bottom, which allows for wet dirt to cling to & hampers packing. The fiber glass handles are solid yet light weight. The little black cap on the open end of the handle always comes off and eventually was lost. Without that cap, I have noticed the fiber glass cracking a little. It's a minor concern at this point, and I wear gloves when I work, so i'm not experiencing shards or slivers.

I just bought six of these McLeods, three square point wooden handled shovels, and two wooden handle pulaskis and received them in about week. They even included a seventh McLeod as a promotional item!

I haven't unwrapped them yet, as I'm having a shed built and will just take them in there to be stored.

As far as other tools, I do like the Rogue hoes by Pro Hoe and the 7" or 8" folding razor saw by Corona. The saw blade is a bit flimsy but cuts very well with little effort.

D

mtbr member

Cricket material handler

Name:  sumner-782699.jpg
Views: 970
Size:  64.9 KB

These things have been invaluable for our latest project with 2 35' bridges. Sturdy, low center of gravity and narrow enough for most single track. Made moving 35' 6x18" glu-lams possible with relatively few people. Ours were provided by a volunteer who does HVAC work, if you ask around you might find one to borrow. Great for moving lumber and other heavy long things. We made a rack for it and put 25 or so wet roughcut 3x8 5' decking pieces on it.
    Trail tools... Where do you get em?-c95dc567-41ec-4eb8-adc4-a9d1509fbdd4.jpg

Trail tools... Where do you get em?-1a02ca43-cc09-4ccc-b88c-a7abdd93e93e.jpg

Just received a F70HR straight from Rogue Hoe. Arrived a day sooner than the shipping estimated.

Rogue Hoe F70HR

mtbr member

Remote trail work

This tool is talked about elsewhere in the forums, did not see it listed in this sticky...

Trail Boss packable trail tool
    has several different heads. McLeod, Rogue hoe, saw, shovel, mattock
    Expensive, but a great solution for more remote trails.
    Trail tools... Where do you get em?-page7-1012-full.jpg

Also the Dakine Builders Pack
    for hauling a chainsaw or full handle tools.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast