Thread: Trail poo

mtbr member
    May 2006

Trail poo

Not too long ago, one of the guys that does a lot of work in a local park was complaining, loudly and often, about horse poo on "His" trails. While doing spring cleanup locally I wondered how big a stable it would take to get the volume (or mass if you prefer) of poo that the deer left over the winter on the trails we built last summer.

Unbelievable. I don't think I took 3 steps all morning without stepping in deer sh1t.

Most of any of the parks I've worked in.
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

I build my own.
    Deer, horses, bears, cougars, birds, worms, dogs, goats, people. They all poop on "my" trails.

I wouldn't worry about it. Just don't eat off your boots.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it. Just don't eat off your boots.
    Poison oak alone is the reason I'd not do that, a little poo is nothing.....
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

Unpredictable
    Animal poo is one thing - we are still dealing with true trail poo - 1m (1000mm) of rainfall in 4 months combined with riders who prefer slop to stable trail and we have rutted trail poo everywhere. It's not biodegradable either - at least not some of it. It is shoveldegradable though, I guess.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I use a downtube 'defender' fender year round for all the dog crap on 'my' trails (which are in an on-leash poop and scoop area, dog owners are at least 50% irresponsible). What really bugs me is the human waste that occasionally gets dropped on or very near the trail. I'll take deer or horse poop over that any day.

I build my own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridnparadise View Post
    Animal poo is one thing - we are still dealing with true trail poo - 1m (1000mm) of rainfall in 4 months combined with riders who prefer slop to stable trail and we have rutted trail poo everywhere. It's not biodegradable either - at least not some of it. It is shoveldegradable though, I guess.
    Your fire season should be a little better this year at least. You folks have had a rough go of it weather-wise that last few years.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.