Thread: Trail Pack

mtbr member

Trail Pack

I'm about ready for a new backpack and have been eyeing up the Dakine trail building pack - so I can stuff in wet weather gear / tools /gumboots / kitchen sink etc. Basically for work (landscaping), fun (weekend trail work) and ideally it would double as an overnight/multi-night pack for off road touring a few times over summer.

Problem with the Dakine is it's black and the only road visibility I have usually comes from my pack, I was browsing there other packs in particular there snowboarding ones which seem packed with space/straps for snowboards, helmets, ice picks etc. which would probably work sweet with a shovel/helmet/tools etc.

Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    The biggest difference is material. The Dakine Builders pack is bombproof. If you're doing night rides with that pack, then buy a cheap tail light and attach it. The pack is big. There's a ton of storage, First aid kit (though not filled), A chainsaw holster which works perfect, a sleeve for the loppers, 2 side pockets that fit the MSR 30's perfectly and two sleeves behind them for hammers/hatchets, two hip pockets for a leatherman and snacks, and the bag that has 4 different pockets for nails and chainsaw sharpening tools. The ski pack I have by Ortovox is great for skiing- that's what it's made for- but it really isn't meant for trailwork. buy the most appropriate one. ttyl, Fahn

mtbr member
    I have Dakine builders pack and it is an awesome pack. One thing I did to increase visibility is wrap the lopper sleeve with orange duct tape. I was riding with it during hunting season, so orange was my priority, but you could wrap that sleeve with whatever type of tape you could get you hands on. Its pretty easy since you can easily pull the whole roll of tape right though.

mtbr member
    I'm not too worried about night time as I have enough lights more about daytime visibility, seems to be a bit of a theme (in NZ) that cyclists are expected to wear hi-vis **** everywhere tell someone to go spray paint there car bright orange ;-)
    Does the Builders Pack feel a bit much for shorter 1/2 day trips, like too much weight on ya back?

mtbr member
    It's a pretty large pack. I think it would be overkill on a half day ride. Its even a bit large for overnights, depending on what kind of luggage you have on your bike. If you have a frame bag and a large revelate style seat bag you probably don't need such a big pack unless you're doing winter camping. If you don't have any panniers or bike luggage, the Dakine pack would be a good overnight pack.

Check out this thread if you haven't. Its mostly about hauling tools, but there are a couple of good pictures that show the size well.
    Dakine builders pack

mtbr member
    I ran a Revelate seat bag over last summer but I'm on small frames so had clearance issues when fully loaded. Any suggestions on something a wee bit smaller?

I build my own.
    The Dakine builder's pack is very heavy for the size of it, due the the heavy duty construction. Also the space inside is limited compared to other packs of similar size. It's not expandable or flexible. All great features for it's intended use. The strap system and back pad make it quite comfortable to carry heavy loads but not so comfortable for long rides. All the straps are wide and heavily padded. If you're not using it for hauling tools and chainsaws and lumber out to the trail, I'd suggest another pack. It's a builders pack, not a riding pack.

Unfortunately the pack I use for day and overnight trips is so old they probably don't make it anymore. It's a Vaude. Has a metal frame and a mesh backrest. I don't know what model and can't find it on their website.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.