mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Trail Maintenance Questionnaire, What do you want?

Hello fellow riders I am putting together a trail maintence event and want your opinion on the following questions?

1. Do you regularly participate in trail work?
    A. Yes
    B. No

2. What activities would you like to see at a trail work event?
    A. Food provided
    B. Free shirt
    C. Free swag
    D. Raffle and games

3. Would you be more inclined to use this trail if maintenance occurred?
    A. Yes
    B. No

4. If lunch was served at the trail event which of the following foods would you prefer?
    A. Sandwiches of various types including vegetarian options
    B. Hamburgers and hot dogs including vegetarian options
    C. BBQ chicken and beef with sides

5. Are you more inclined to participate if swag (t-shirts, goody bag) is offered?
    A. Yes
    B. No

6. If the IMBA/Subaru trail maintenance crew were to participate by presenting trail maintenance clinics and slide shows, would you be more inclined to participate?
    A. Yes
    B. No

The Voice of Reason
    i would include a question about saturday/sunday preference or morning /afternoon preference.

bbq? hell yeah!
    I'm never gonna be a Rock Star

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    You'll probably get more responses that better represent the cycling community in general in the lounge forum b/c the people that post here are usually very enthusiastic about trail building and work regularly on the trail.

D

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dburatti
    You'll probably get more responses that better represent the cycling community in general in the lounge forum b/c the people that post here are usually very enthusiastic about trail building and work regularly on the trail.

D
    Yah but if people aren't doing trail work what makes you think they'll do a survey about it haha.

Yes Food Yes BBQ No and No, but that's not to say i wouldn't mind attending one as i never have....
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

New Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by jebmoore
    Hello fellow riders I am putting together a trail maintenance event and want your opinion on the following questions?

1. Do you regularly participate in trail work?
    A. Yes
    B. No

2. What activities would you like to see at a trail work event?
    A. Food provided
    B. Free shirt
    C. Free swag
    D. Raffle and games

3. Would you be more inclined to use this trail if maintenance occurred?
    A. Yes
    B. No

4. If lunch was served at the trail event which of the following foods would you prefer?
    A. Sandwiches of various types including vegetarian options
    B. Hamburgers and hot dogs including vegetarian options
    C. BBQ chicken and beef with sides

5. Are you more inclined to participate if swag (t-shirts, goody bag) is offered?
    A. Yes
    B. No

6. If the IMBA/Subaru trail maintenance crew were to participate by presenting trail maintenance clinics and slide shows, would you be more inclined to participate?
    A. Yes
    B. No
    1) a
    2) a is most important to me, all are nice though
    3) a
    4) b
    5) a
    6) a (I've been to an IMBA Trail Care event, it was put on VERY well)

mtbr member
    Food??? Where's this at?
    T-shirts??? Where's this at??

Good questionaire....as mentioned above...ask for Saturday/Sunday preferance and mention times We have quite a few people who can only show up for a hour or two and we accomodate that by saving small jobs for those folks who have busy lives and families but still want to help out. We usually have someone there ALL day as alot of riders are roadies too and do morning rides and are willing to jump in for the afternoons. We try to get all and any help we can and appreciate all the help we can get, whenever.
    IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU'RE NOT RIDING (or building)!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

What types of trail users?

I don't see a question about the type of trail user which I would presume indicates a bikers only event. Try to recruit volunteers across all user groups. This will give you different view points regarding what maintenance to perform and will make the land manager happier because all groups had a chance to participate

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    We have had good feedback when we provide food for the volunteers for after the trail work is done! We usually get El pollo Loco. It is a big hit!
    www.corbamtb.com CORBA-Working for MTB Access in the L.A. area.
    www.otbmbc.com

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    You need a question asking if you would like to notified about future trail work events. If the answer is yes, how would you like to be contacted?

You forgot to make ribs an option!!! :P

If I remember correctly, NSMBA gave away a frame and a build kit to the volunteer with the most hours. Might want to see if people are into that kinda incentive.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by dburatti

D
    yep,
    I'd say I'm a little twisted because I'll show up just for the satisfaction of doing it.

Masher
    Aug 2007
    Just my 2 cents, but when I volunteer time to do trail work I want to work on trails and not spend time standing around eating and socializing! I'm not anti-social, but for me time is tight (and ride time is very valuable) so I prefer to bring a sandwich and eat on the fly, then I can get back home to my family or go for a ride afterward - if I choose to. Serving lunch doesn't affect my decision to participate.

I can see how a 'points' program would be incentive to get more people to participate, and we're thinking of doing that locally.

Its really most important (to me) that the work day program be well defined, what are we going to accomplish, and the time commitment be well defined (i.e; 9-1pm replace the bridge at the creek crossing). I often talk to the rangers and show up at 7am and wrap up around noon so I can get a ride in!