mtbr member

Trail idea, first build. help me get it right.

I have had an idea for a trail for a while now, i have scouted out a few places where i can cut it in but i still need to do a couple more walks before i start flagging.

This is going to be a solo build, although i may be able to draft some help for grooming and tweaking once i get the rough cut done.

But basically it comes down to i love riding with people, but sometimes things get bogged down and you all clutter up. Its hard to push each other sometimes without riding someones ass half the time. So i though why not make a duel course, two pieces of single track cut side by side with 3-4 feet between them. I know im going to have to be careful where i add in features to avoid cross over crashed, i have found an area where i will be able to point my drainage away from both tracks. The stretch i have found is a little less the a kilometer long so short and sweet.

The real question is as i havnt seen this is any of my local trails or areas i have visited what am i forgetting?, is this just a bad idea?.

I figured it most likely hasnt been done because its hard to find a wide enough path to cut two trails side by side, or as basically your having to do twice the work more people would rather make two trails.

as for style it will fall into the more then XC but not quite AM/DH, but its hard to say until its all done.
    2012 Giant Reign 1

mtbr member
    it is typically called doubletrack, one track for each of a car's tires... just kidding.

What you're talking about is often a consideration in race courses. A few approaches used on a race course are to provide wide areas in the trail to allow passing. Just take a mostly un-interesting section of trail and make it wider.

Another thing you'll see is a/b/c lines. For a small section of trail, there will be a line that is fast and difficult and then b and c lines are easier but slower/longer. These would serve the same purpose as the wide passing section. When building freeride type trail features, it is common to have a main trail flow and then provide a side section to the trail with a log ride, rock drop etc.

By employing one of those ideas, you can put your effort into making a single trail that is highly polished. Then, you build in the passing sections and it gives you a good way to get around a slower rider without making the countryside look like braided trail.

Make sure you have permission to build. the best idea in the world is worthless if it gets closed. But, you knew that.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    What does the land owner/manager think?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Heck, I think it is challenging enough to get one track built, much less two!

mtbr member
    uh the area i am in is 100% rogue building, but we fallow certain standards and heavily self regulate. a land use agreement is in the works but still a few years away. Basically so long as we dont build anything with massive jumps or overly elevated skinnies/bridges we are in good shape.

We are in a very strange area for building regulations/land use. And of course we have no right to to complain when they level tracks, which happens yearly.

I do see your point, do one really polished with optional lines. However i do like the challange of pulling this off, maybe i will scout a shorter run for it and try it on a smaller scale first.
    2012 Giant Reign 1

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I actually like the idea. Like a dual slalom, XC short track. Trick would be getting the same length for both tracks. If it we me, I'd separate the tracks about 5-8 feet to cut down on cut-throughs and keep the single track feel. Now that you mention it, I'm thinking about trying that at one of our local trails!

I build my own.
    Somebody did it Robin. In Washington or Oregon. The build was posted here. I'll see if I can find it.

PS. Are you on Island Timberland's property? PM me.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

trail rat
    Here is a great video with the kind of double trail that I think you envision. This does not go into building, but will certainly offer some inspiration.

If Only Every Mountain Biking Video Was Shot Like This - Afrojacks.flv - YouTube
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie