mtbr member

Trail Building Resources

I do quite a bit of reading in here but can anyone recommend a few resources or a guide book of some sorts for typical problems you encounter. Track maintenance for erosion/wear/brake holes etc. building berms, water crossings etc. recommended grades etc., common pitfalls, trail that sort of thing.

I build my own.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Get the above, but while waiting.. check this out.. USFS piggybacked a lot on IMBA.

0723-2806-MTDC: Trail Construction and Maintenance Notebook index

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I can't think of any single resource that will answer all of your questions completely. There are lots of good resources out there but each has its strong points and weak points. I've been working on some documentation lately and I have a bibliography that I posted below. My favorite sources of info, in order, are:

IMBA Trail Solutions
    Natural Surface Trails by Design
    USFS Trail Construction and Maintenance Notebook

The video version of Trail Solutions can be found online at IMBA Trailbuilding - YouTube

It is well worth your time to poke around the American Trails website American Trails - your national resource for trails and greenways

References

Appalachian Mountain Club. AMC’s Complete Guide to Trail Building & Maintenance. Boston, MA: Appalachian Mountain Club, 2008. Appalachian Mountain Club Publications

Birkby, Robert C. Lightly on the Land: The Student Conservation Association Trail-Building and Maintenance Manual. Seattle, WA: The Mountaineers, 2005. Mountaineers Books

Hancock, Jan; Vander Hoek, Kim K. Jones; Bradshaw, Sunni; Coffman, James D.; Engelmann, Jeffrey. Equestrian Design Guidebook for Trails, Trailheads, and Campgrounds. Missoula, MT: USDA Forest Service, Missoula Technology and Development Center, 2007. Equestrian Design Guidebook for Trails, Trailheads and Campgrounds

Hesselbarth, Woody, and Brian Vachowski. Trail Construction and Maintenance Notebook. Missoula, MT: USDA Forest Service, Technology and Development Program, 2007. Trail Construction and Maintenance Notebook

State of Minnesota, Department of Natural Resources. Trail Planning, Design, and Development Guidelines. St. Paul, MN: Trails & Waterways Division, 2007. Minnesota's Bookstore

Parker, Troy Scott. Natural Surface Trails by Design: Physical and Human Design Essentials of Sustainable, Enjoyable Trails. Boulder, CO: Natureshape, 2004. Natureshape LLC

Webber, Peter, ed. Trail Solutions: IMBA’s Guide to Building Sweet Singletrack. Boulder, CO: International Mountain Biking Association, 2004. Trail Solutions

Webber, Peter, ed. Managing Mountain Biking: IMBA’s Guide to Providing Great Riding. Boulder, CO: International Mountain Biking Association, 2007. Managing Mountain Biking

Federal Trail Data Standards

Guide to Sustainable Mountain Trails.

IMBA Trailbuilding - YouTube

USFS Trail Design Parameters

Town of Breckenridge : Trails Standards and Guidelines

Frederick County Design Standards and Planning Guidelines

Humboldt County Regional Trails Master Plan (2010)

Massachusetts DCR Trails Guidelines and Best Practices Manual

Monterey Bay Sanctuary Scenic Trail (MBSST) Network Final Master Plan

Park City Trails Master Plan

Portland Trail Design Guidelines.

San Diego County Trails Master Plan

Squamish Trail Standards

Virginia Greenways and Trails Toolbox
    Last edited by BonkedAgain; 12-13-2013 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Added Minnesota trails book

mtbr member
    Just skimmed through a bit of the stuff, thanks everyone would have taken me a while to hunt all that down. Should get all these links sticky'd!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    'BonkedAgain' friggin' Nailed It! Nice input man.

My two cents worth; if you were to read 'Natural Surface Trails by Design' and IMBA's 'Trail Solutions' publications, you'd know 99% of what the world's top (trail)builders know. If you top it off with IMBA's 'Managing Mountain Biking', you'd also have a firm grasp on what trail-building looks like from a land manager's point of view... which is pretty important!

Andrew Drouin
    South Okanagan Trail Alliance - SOTA
    Sweet Singletrack.ca
    Last edited by Digital; 12-05-2013 at 04:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I just got a copy of a book published by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources titled Trail Planning, Design, and Development Guidelines. It is an outstanding text -- 306 pages of detailed info on what goes into creating all kinds of trails, like paved trails, natural surface trails (OHV and non-motorized) and winter trails (skiing and snowmobiles). The natural surface trails section, 82 pages long, has the best descriptions of proper drainage that I have seen anywhere. I highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in every (any) aspect of trail conception, planning, design, construction, maintenance, etc.

State of Minnesota, Department of Natural Resources. Trail Planning, Design, and Development Guidelines. St. Paul, MN: Trails & Waterways Division, 2007. Minnesota's Bookstore.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Additionally, you can use specific agency targeted plans to your advantage for planning purposes. BLM National Mountain Bicycling Strategic Action Plan
    has the BLMs strategic plan and action plan. Making it easy for them by showing how you are witihin their own recommendations and guidlines helps. Not as realated as basic maintenanc and construction, but helpful nonetheless? No?