Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Trail Building Jobs?

I've always had an interest in pursuing a job in the MTB field, but the aspect of trail building intrigues me the most. I've done some research, but im not coming up with much. How can I gain training for an entry level position?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kcebrah23 View Post
    I've always had an interest in pursuing a job in the MTB field, but the aspect of trail building intrigues me the most. I've done some research, but im not coming up with much. How can I gain training for an entry level position?
    Volunteer with your local MTB club . . . . (if you're not already)....

mtbr member
    Start by volunteering with your local bike club as CMC stated. That's the best way to see if you like building trails and a great way to step up your game.

If you have a year ahead of you and want to learn with the best in the industry, head over Capilano University in BC. Mountain Bike Operation program cover trailbuilding and much more.

You can also contact a PTBA member and see if they have some positions availables. Check out PTBA
    A trailbuilder from the north

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Whats your back ground? ever run equipment/ chainsaw? what kind of trails do you want to build?
    There might be a trail builder apprenticeship opening this upcoming fall with my organization. you'll have to put in a lot of volunteer time before you'll get paid to build, but theres no need to pay a college to teach you how to do that.

Also theres lots of youth programs in the US. Americorps is one. Try summer bike parks at ski areas too.

check this out
    Trail Employment Available - PTBA
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.

banned
    Jan 2013
    I do a bit of trail building around my current location...I have put many new "extentions" on the local trails. Lots of fun even if u get looks. Could use some help. Long Island/NYC?CT area.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    i have been building trails for years and years and years, from the time i was 10 id ride around with shovels and build trails and jumps for my bmx bike, than when i turned 16 i got real serious and started riding with serious riders and builders. i did lots of volunteering for Red Bull Backyard Build Offs. and then got into MTB trail building, ive been doing this for about 2 years and have dreamed of doing it for a job, but part of building is the creativity i get out of it and the personal satisfaction. but then again when i did some volunteering with my local MTB trial builders they were so lazy and so negative. all they wanted to do was clear leaves and go on flat ground, they wanted no berms, no creek crossing, no switchbacks, NOTHING!! so i stopped goig and for the last year ive built trails on my own

banned
    Jan 2013
    Right with u Subaru. Can't tell u how many times I've been building my sections and been told to stop or do it "their" way. I ve been called a rogue builder or a flat out trouble maker but it won't stop me. About to start a new project on a trail that's closed for the winter. It will be nice and quiet.

mtbr member
    To earn a living building trails you either have to be lucky, or a hustler. There are a few government trailbuilding jobs..working for the National Park Service, the Bureau of Land Management, a city or county. Those you'd be lucky to get. They pay halfway decent.

Then there's things like Americorp.

To be your own professional trail contractor...you'd have to be a hustler and a business person...hustling to get jobs, lining up work, working 7 days a week, 12 hours a day...

Start off by volunteering, attending workdays where professionals are involved, apply for an IMBA TCC visit, or attend one close to you.

Classroom learning is probably few and far between. Some of the more outdoor oriented colleges, like Prescott or Brevard may have something. Otherwise, conferences are the way to go, like the PTBA Sustainable Trails Conference, or the IMBA World Summit.

Good Luck!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    getting paid to build trails would be a DREAM!
    BUT.... after reading snug dug's comment, it sounds like to much hassle and stress and loopholes to go through to get some money.
    building trails is something i find peaceful and a way to use my creativity, after going through all that work id find building trails a hassle and frustration.

BUILD ON!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by subarumtbjrk View Post
    i have been building trails for years and years and years, from the time i was 10 id ride around with shovels and build trails and jumps for my bmx bike, than when i turned 16 i got real serious and started riding with serious riders and builders. i did lots of volunteering for Red Bull Backyard Build Offs. and then got into MTB trail building, ive been doing this for about 2 years and have dreamed of doing it for a job, but part of building is the creativity i get out of it and the personal satisfaction. but then again when i did some volunteering with my local MTB trial builders they were so lazy and so negative. all they wanted to do was clear leaves and go on flat ground, they wanted no berms, no creek crossing, no switchbacks, NOTHING!! so i stopped goig and for the last year ive built trails on my own
    Where do you build trails at? The local trails on public land or do you have access to private land used for trail building? I've always liked doing stuff like this and one of my local trails is hardly maintained and I've always wanted to go work on it and clean it up. Can they get me in trouble for that? I wouldn't be adding features or anything but just trimming trees and the vines in the trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I build in my friends yard he lives on a mtn side. And if you want to fix up trails, all yoh need you need to do is ask around they wont care if you just want to trim and clean up. It all dependd, some mtn bikers will get angry if they see you walking with a shovel or prunners.

mtbr member
    I wish I had my own mountain...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    the local trails i have around me are owned by the state parks. And they get maintained by the riders that go through them, ive seen riders going through with small hatchets and pruners in thier backpack and just cut little things as they go.

if you want to do serious maintanence, such as digging out berms or bridges, id call the organization that is in charge of the trails. asking for permission is better than asking for forgiveness.

I do about 95% of my building at my friends house though, he lives on a Mtn. side and the other people on the Mtn dont care that we build, so we have around 800'-850' (est) of downhill trails with berms and drop offs and such. building is almost as fun for me as riding.

mtbr member
    Yeah I would definitely ask the lake office for permission but no one really maintains these trails at all. I really like to build trails. I've used up all the land I have for trails and jumps with a couple bridges. I definitely think building is as much fun as riding if not more. I like getting the satisfaction of doing it myself and fine tuning the berms and jumps until they're perfect.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004

Pimpin' Ain't Easy...

Quote Originally Posted by snug dug View Post
    To earn a living building trails you either have to be lucky, or a hustler.
    So which one are you mtby???

Seriously, he's a dude who's living the professional builder gig...listen to the man.

Delirious Tuck
    Quote Originally Posted by The OLE Bagger View Post
    Right with u Subaru. Can't tell u how many times I've been building my sections and been told to stop or do it "their" way. I ve been called a rogue builder or a flat out trouble maker but it won't stop me. About to start a new project on a trail that's closed for the winter. It will be nice and quiet.
    Where are you building in the Tri-State Area? I'm always keen to check out a new trail.

That said, I won't mess with another builders work unless they've disappeared off the scene. The MTB Karma Crash gods get their blood for "adjusting" others' work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    i go out to ceasers creek alot just because its by my house, and i go to devou down on the Kentucky border.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    Lucky

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    thats nice! wheres that at

trail rat
    So what are you guys with jobs posting here getting paid, since this is about paid trail building jobs?

kindle fire / jb 4.2.1 / tapatalk hd
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

saddlemeat
    Youth Conservation Corps (YCC) hires a lot of trail crew members and supervisors here in Gallup, New Mexico. Maybe YCC is in your area too? While the work is slightly seasonal, I personally like a little time off.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

mtbr member
    Trail building is related to how we live today. There are different methods to what you seek. The traditional work for a paycheck, have some good times conservation corp type of trail school. You get to travel around and see some great sights. But then you don't have a choice where and when you work. You get to do some camping! Then there is the apprienticeship though a professional crew, but you have to be scappy and hungry, show that you really know what to do. The bike park, the summer ski area. Or you get shown the exit door real quick. You follow a Silverback, hustler or not. Then there is go out and do it yourself, which has its glory times and then the closures and removal of your work. The drama, the ego, the hightimes and the fall. Manifest destiny kind of theme. Land managers don't like you. Then there is the bike club, IMBA, we will follow guidelines to make things happen. Its kinda of boring, things don't go quite to plan, but then the surprise! With some hard work you can get a grant and build something for the community rather than just your buddies can enjoy.
    These are the three that I am familiar with.
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by subarumtbjrk View Post
    thats nice! wheres that at
    Northern Virginia, on some BLM land called Meadowood

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus View Post
    So what are you guys with jobs posting here getting paid, since this is about paid trail building jobs?

kindle fire / jb 4.2.1 / tapatalk hd
    mid 40's with nice benefits as a government trail builder. not getting rich or anything, but it's dependable and steady, for the most part. Most importantly, I enjoy what I do.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    who me? I'm lucky.
    Tiger Mt Preston RR to NW Timber Trail Connector on Vimeo
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast