Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    that is a sweet video! i love to build trails. i need to get into some building like this!!

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus View Post
    So what are you guys with jobs posting here getting paid, since this is about paid trail building jobs?
    Here is a hourly pay scale for trail jobs based on my experience...

$0: Volunteer
    $0 -10: AmeriCorps/Conservation Corps Member
    $10 - $13: AmeriCorps/Conservation Corps Leader
    $13 - $18: Forest Service Series 0462 Forestry Tech Positions
    $15 - $25: Park Service Wage Grade Positions
    $15+: Private

Anything beyond $25/hr will be a paper pusher. Most people in this field spend a good amount of time in the $0-$10 range and many of the best employers(NPS, FS) are moving to temporary positions or using volunteers and conservation corps instead. Good jobs become more scarce every year.

Based on five years with a conservation corps and two years with the FS.
    Professional Trail Builder and Guvmint Employee

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Short version of how I became a professional trail builder: From the first time I attended an IMBA TCC build school to when I started my company was....seven years of trail building as a volunteer.

Long version:
    I attended the first IMBA TCC trail building school in Nantahala, NC, in 1997 and then started volunteering with my local club. Eventually, a new trail opp came up, and I volunteered to be the main steward. Within a few months, we had the IMBA TCC come give another school, which further fired my interest. I become unemployed and started volunteer building trail a lot and even traveled to meet some pro builders and learn about mechanized building. A couple of years later, IMBA's TCC came through again to teach an advanced school.

In 2004 I started my own trail business completing some minor jobs around my home city. Then, I went where the work was (ID, CA, WI, OH, PA, Burns Lake (B.C.), Puerto Rico), met some great people, built and rode some fantastic trails, and saw some great sights. Eventually, around the time I was tiring of traveling so much and being away from my house, I came across the opportunity to be a full time builder for a bike company and took it. Now I have two assistants, a company vehicle, over 200 acres of leased and company owned land with 15 miles of trails and countless features, a mini skid steer with four attachments, many hand and power tools, and a decent annual budget.

It can be done, and, yes, hustling helps tremendously. You definitely need to be okay with traveling, as you probably won't easily find a job in one location building trail. They're out there, but the number of applicants to positions is large.

Dewayne

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I own my own mountain. I am days away from buying a used mini-excavator and start my own trail system. I have about 600 acres of terrain from flat cottonwood lined creeks to maple covered benches to steep-north-facing pine-covered slope. Several fantastic summit overlooks with huge views. There is really nothing there now but elk, deer and moose and of course cattle in the lower meadows all summer. My plan is 9-12 miles of trails that take advantage of all terrains and views, with some fun features.

Question1: I am looking at a 6000 lb Takeuchi 125 (4'9" blade and width) and a 3600 lb Takeuchi 016 (39-51 inch expandable width/blade). I need to do some other work like digging pipe trenches and building a real road or two. So, I'm torn. Thin for trails, or 4'9" for a middle ground all-utility excavator?

Question 2: Am I crazy to try this without professional advice and planning? I would rather do it myself and digest the reading materials and tapes to learn some layout, grade, drainage, esthetics and overall plan than pay someone. Funner that way. Forst places to go for reading materials?

Question 3: Any way to make $ with this, even a little? How about building something so good that you hold an event once a year. Anyone do this and generate a positive cash-flow? I am doing it for the fun and exercise, but I am always looking out for a $. And that would certainly skew the way I lay this out, if I thought that certain types of courses had more appeal.

Thanks,
    JH

B
    Mmmmm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roosterdad View Post
    I own my own mountain. I am days away from buying a used mini-excavator and start my own trail system. I have about 600 acres of terrain from flat cottonwood lined creeks to maple covered benches to steep-north-facing pine-covered slope. Several fantastic summit overlooks with huge views. There is really nothing there now but elk, deer and moose and of course cattle in the lower meadows all summer. My plan is 9-12 miles of trails that take advantage of all terrains and views, with some fun features.

Question1: I am looking at a 6000 lb Takeuchi 125 (4'9" blade and width) and a 3600 lb Takeuchi 016 (39-51 inch expandable width/blade). I need to do some other work like digging pipe trenches and building a real road or two. So, I'm torn. Thin for trails, or 4'9" for a middle ground all-utility excavator?

Question 2: Am I crazy to try this without professional advice and planning? I would rather do it myself and digest the reading materials and tapes to learn some layout, grade, drainage, esthetics and overall plan than pay someone. Funner that way. Forst places to go for reading materials?

Question 3: Any way to make $ with this, even a little? How about building something so good that you hold an event once a year. Anyone do this and generate a positive cash-flow? I am doing it for the fun and exercise, but I am always looking out for a $. And that would certainly skew the way I lay this out, if I thought that certain types of courses had more appeal.

Thanks,
    JH
    I would contact your local mountain bike club. They almost certainly have people who would offer experienced advice simply for allowing access to the finished product. You'll be much better off having good help and getting it right the first time than screwing it up and then having to fix it later. The cost of a mistake could be high in terms of land damage. It's a nobel thought, but don't try to go it alone. As for reading material, at the very least, buy IMBA's Trail Solutions and Troy Scott Parker's Natural Surface Trails by Design.

trail rat

Thanks,
    JH
    Are you looking to hire a pro trail builder? If not, this is way off topic for this thread, but there are quite a few others like this where people are building their own trails on their property.
    What to do with 6 acres?
    A little backyard fun
    Back Yard Trail

In terms of making money with your trails, check with your attorney about liability laws in your state; most have some tough requirements if you charge for access, and insurance costs might be very high.
    Private property liability
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by snug dug View Post
    Northern Virginia, on some BLM land called Meadowood

Sweet, glad to see some mtn bike trail finally happening there......

Woody

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I own my own mountain.
    Thanks,
    JH
    Rooster,
    I'd go with the narrower version. And yes, you can make $ at it. There are ranches all over Texas that put on races. Even off road triathalons, running events, and other things besides mountain biking. You can even have camping. I do suggest you get someone who has built trail with a mini-x to help you at first, even for a couple of days to show you what can (and will) go wrong and also how to do it correctly for the first time.
    Texas based trail builders: www.sstrails.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2