Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ~~~~~~~~

Tool carrier beta

gave this setup a try and I like it.
    It's a Carver surfboard carrier.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Yeah, good idea. . . but, um, how do you manage to keep the bike leaned over enough to get any digging done? And what if you have to dig on the left side? Only jokin'. Good to see the red-dirt from da aina represented! Auwrighht!

~~~~~~~~
    wait until you see the weedeater (running) setup

beer thief
    Wow, I never knew such a thing existed. And I used to live to surf.

How does it handle in singletrack, need to compensate for the weight on one side?

Does this price ($85) seem about right?

~~~~~~~~
    actually handles very well, didn't feel much if any need to compensate for it. I took it straight away to some tight twisty singletrack and it's easy to forget it's there. Need to be careful when dismounting, and it's easy to get tangled up if you fall/tip over. Seatpost QR was allowing it to twist, need to run a regular non QR type. It's very well built, solid, and adjustable. $85 sounds right.

Don't know why I didn't think about this application before, stoked on it so far, few more rides and I'll be ready to recommend it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    wait until you see the weedeater (running) setup
    Please tell us you do not own a chainsaw. . .

It's got to be better than using the Camelback as a carrier - from first-hand experience. Just be sure you don't wax your shovel and WD40 your board. . .

beer thief
    Thanks. Please post a pic from the front or rear if you get a chance so the leg clearance is shown.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Interesting idea. I made this single purpose carrier a week ago.

~~~~~~~~
    leg clearance is excellent, never an issue.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    I'd be nervous about having the blade end at the front. With my luck - I'd fall right there. Ouch.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

saddlemeat
    Seems like it would put a lot of lateral stress on the seat post/seat tube area if there were much weight on it. We had a problem last summer with bikes breaking from pulling a BOB with carsonite sign posts and driver. The BOB also broke, expanded metal bottom separated from the frame, so maybe it was too much weight, although it pulled fine. The incident made me aware that there is more to transporting with a bike than fastening the load to the bike.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by JmZ
    I'd be nervous about having the blade end at the front. With my luck - I'd fall right there. Ouch.

JmZ
    Put it in the back and you'd likely be hooking it on trees.

mtb'er
    Bad idea?

Off the back...
    I'd run it with the head way out in front and the handle-end lashed to the seat tube cluster. People will get out of your way, and any falls to the side or rear should not be as dicey.

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004
    I like the bob so I can carry lots of tools for others to use. Most people willing to volunteer want to ride, but don't have their own tools or a way to carry them. The bob also slows me down enough to socialize with riders who I usually never ride with.

I ran this system today for the first time....usually just use the mcLeod and mattock. But I got the brush cutter for Christmas and finally figured out how to get it all rigged up. I added a Grape Hoe to the mix as well. So there's 3 tools and the weedeater, extra fuel, and the bag has the harness and safety gear as well as long pants.
    Roll over the weak and bunny hop the dead!

Blog this...!

El Paso Puzzler 35 or 50 miler

mtbr member
    May 2006
    My work in progress. I hope to load it up with a crew full of tools.
    The big plan is to make up a cheap easy long tail kit with tool racks that anyone can bolt on there bike. Like xtracycle.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator

This was not easy

...but the BOB carried them all fine for 5 miles or so...
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Really Expensive Tool Carrier

It takes about 15 minutes to convert back to it's original purpose. Noise free, and it descends really nice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tool carrier beta-img_0934.jpg  

Tool carrier beta-img_0940.jpg  

Tool carrier beta-img_0942.jpg  

Tool carrier beta-img_0946.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2006
    That is by far one of the coolest yet. I realy like the tool clamps. Now where to find a tandam fully?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I see that you have the most inportant trail building tool in the backpack - 6 packs of Fat Tire!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Thanks for the inspiration folks. I showed one of our club members some of the pictures here, gave him the measurements, and we now have a tool carrier for our BOB trailer. This is going to work out great for us.

mtbr member
    I had a look at some of the other bob trailer threads and modifications.Here is what I cam up with to hold some tools more securely on the Bob trailer. There is room for a chainsaw under there, I'll just need to cut a slot in the front rack for the bar to slide through.

I also changed the stem and rear skewer on the Devinici Magma to make it the trailer bike instead of the Giant Anthem, which I've converted back to singlespeed.

The rack colour was dictated by what I had in the shed. Screws,nuts, washers and bolts are all stainless steel or zinc coated.

I'm thinking of using old tubes as tie-downs instead of the occy straps I've got there and havingtwo bits per tool so I can remove each tool individually if needed instead of undoing them all like I have to do now.

mtbr member

So I was last to post here a while ago...

I modified the BoB again last night to carry a wheelbarrow for todays trackwork session.

Using it today was hard going! As soon as I lost momentum going uphill it meant pushing and that sometimes required another person to help get the beast up the hill. Sand was fun too, causing much amusement for onlookers waiting for me to fall off, which didn't happen! One of the other volunteers had a go and described it as riding in a stream, you just have to go where it takes you and as soon as you start to wobble hold on for dear life! I can't see the wheelbarrow being towed on the trailer ever again.

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004
    I'd think long and hard about putting that wheelbarrow's wheel on my bob.
    Roll over the weak and bunny hop the dead!

Blog this...!

El Paso Puzzler 35 or 50 miler

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fastmtnbiker33w View Post
    I'd think long and hard about putting that wheelbarrow's wheel on my bob.
    It would lower the centre of gravity nicely, but in the two hours I had to make the platform before the maintenance session, with the materials I had available it was the best I could do. Fortunately, using it was a one off experience.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast