Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Interesting idea. I made this single purpose carrier a week ago.
    I am interested in the bike stand, did you make that? Are there plans?
    Trail Builder, Trail Rider,and Trail Protector

mtbr member
    I love this thread, do you guys think I could modify this into something servicable
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tool carrier beta-tag-along.jpg  

Misfit diSSent 1x10
    Jet 9

mtbr member
    definitly ^. Take the seat off, cranks, chain, handle bars. and weld on long skinny rack like some cargo bikes have and there ya go

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Or if you don't have a welder leave the bars and seat post on and put a rear rack on it. This will give you something to strap tools to.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

Coastal Rider
    Nov 2006
    I usually hike in with tools but the bob trailers look good for getting out a long distance from the truck. Check this out! Whipping the Bob's!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Hears how you move two piece of equipment at one time.

Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I am just getting into the trail building scene and looking to get tools back in the woods about 5 miles. Has anyone adapted a kids tag along for carrying tools, I have an extra at my house and thought it might work. Thanks for the great info!

ride more
    Mar 2007
    The trail a bike thing seems like a good idea...

is down to roll...
    drifty bob @ 225 is awesome : )

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Clutton View Post
    I usually hike in with tools but the bob trailers look good for getting out a long distance from the truck. Check this out! Whipping the Bob's!

Trail Gnome
    Bump!

What else ya got?

mtbr member
    Wow, yeah, loving this thread...........

I don't ride enough!
    Oct 2007
    I too would like to see how you guys have modified kid haulers into trail day work trailers. These two types of used kid bike trailers had be found for really cheap on CL. Tool carrier beta-image.jpgTool carrier beta-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    What about a non bike tool carrier? Something that I can haul 5+ tools into the wood with without a bike?

I was thinking using a moving dolly, with a 5 gal bucket bungee'd to it. The the tool handles/heads go in the bucket, and they are bungee'd again at the top of the dolly.
    Check out my website: http://diggermtb.com/

Ride it till it breaks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dillis View Post
    What about a non bike tool carrier? Something that I can haul 5+ tools into the wood with without a bike?

I was thinking using a moving dolly, with a 5 gal bucket bungee'd to it. The the tool handles/heads go in the bucket, and they are bungee'd again at the top of the dolly.
    I usually just strap them to my backpack. Should be fine with that number as long as long as your pack is sturdy enough. Stick them diagonally across (or horizontally if your trail is wide) so they don't whack you in the back of the head/knees.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cerebroside View Post
    I usually just strap them to my backpack. Should be fine with that number as long as long as your pack is sturdy enough. Stick them diagonally across (or horizontally if your trail is wide) so they don't whack you in the back of the head/knees.
    Well, I would but my backpack is far from sturdy. That's why I'm looking for another option for carrying things on foot.

Ride it till it breaks

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Depending on how rugged the terrain is, a wheelbarrow may work. We use a lightweight plastic tub barrow a lot when we have to move a load of tools around for work days. I regularly carry a chainsaw (with fuel, oil, and PPE), 2 stacked 5gal buckets filled with smaller hand tools and gloves, and ~10 long and short handled tools. It isn't too hard to push up hills. The wheelbarrow itself comes in handy a lot of the times as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by aero901 View Post
    Depending on how rugged the terrain is, a wheelbarrow may work. We use a lightweight plastic tub barrow a lot when we have to move a load of tools around for work days. I regularly carry a chainsaw (with fuel, oil, and PPE), 2 stacked 5gal buckets filled with smaller hand tools and gloves, and ~10 long and short handled tools. It isn't too hard to push up hills. The wheelbarrow itself comes in handy a lot of the times as well.
    That's what I would do, but I have to make this transportable in a mini van... What if I got a cheap foldable thing like this to use? Milwaukee 150 lb. Capacity Folding Hand Truck-33366 - The Home Depot

Ride it till it breaks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dillis View Post
    That's what I would do, but I have to make this transportable in a mini van... What if I got a cheap foldable thing like this to use? Milwaukee 150 lb. Capacity Folding Hand Truck-33366 - The Home Depot
    The wheels will sink into the ground, and be a pain to get over any terrain that is not smooth.
    I can't remember if it was here or another site, but someone made a wagon with a metal tray like those that go in a trailer hitch and bike wheels. Was narrow enough for trails, and the bike wheels rolled over stuff. Not the best turning radius, but enough probably until you have a tighter turn.
    Also another took a pull behind child carrier and narrowed it. If you did the same to one that had the front wheel jogger attachment, you have a push cart.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I do have access to a few 20" walmart bmx wheels... I could make something with those. I am trying to keep the cost down though.

Ride it till it breaks

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Look into folding wheelbarrows. Durability might be questionable if using it for transporting sharp/pointy tools (use sheaths?).

mtbr member
    A small, lightweight golf club bag?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I've come up with a PVC pipe plan. It is esseintally a flat wheelbarrow that you can strap things to, but is light and can be partially dissasembed.

Ride it till it breaks

banned
    Feb 2014
    When a wind storm goes through we have random downed trees/large branches throughout our trail system that took a lot of hiking to get cleaned up. Bike Zone, a club sponsor and Kona donated a Minute to help with our task.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tool carrier beta-20150122_125958.jpg  

Tool carrier beta-20150122_124305.jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2