JDM
    mtbr member

Tool Cache Passion

I've been caching tools out in the woods this year along trails that I'm building. I really love being able to stop mid-ride to do a little trail work or just to jog out the the work site without the burden of carrying tools.

One of the work sites is a couple miles from the parking lot and needs lots of rock work. Out there I keep a rogue hoe, a fire rake, a pulaski, 3 rock bars and two 5 gallon buckets. It all gets stored in a brown tarp. We've been making great progress on the trail working in short sessions of 1 to 2 hours.

Another trail we're working on requires a lot of bench cutting. We are using a rototiller to help with the work. I'm keeping the tiller, fire rake, pulaski, rogue hoe, loppers and buckets out on the trail, stored under a tarp on the trail.

Last edited by JDM; 10-08-2012 at 07:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    How does the tiller work out? You ever run it parallel to the trail?

JDM
    mtbr member
    The tiller works great. It does wear you out to run it and it doesn't cut though everything, but it loosens things up and makes it a heck of a lot easier to finish up with hand tools.

I do run it a bit parallel to the trail, but not much. Most of what I'm doing is pulling the loam and duff off the trail so I want to pull toward the low side. Also, when you run it along the trail it bites much harder on the uphill side to it puts a lot of torque on your body which will wear you out even faster.

There are a few more pictures on our club's site if you follow the link in my sig.