~Disc~Golf~

Term for Building Technique Needed - STAT!! :D

Hey all,
    I was searching quickly for a term that escapes me - so I figures I'd just shortcut and go right to the experts.

It's the art/technique of stacking rocks as so they make a solid feature - in this case a retaining wall.

A dumb lady apparently wants me to point out why she is that way, so I was looking for an easily searchable word and/or link so I do not have to spell out the process.
    And also why, once built, there is no real 'maintenance' that can be done to them.

Here's the article (I'm the same username)
    Lawsuit alleges park service negligence in boy's 2009 death on Lassen trail Redding Record Searchlight

Thanks in advance! -
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Dry stack or dry stacking I think is the term you are looking for. It means to build a wall without the use of mortar. However, it doesn't mean zero maintenance. It just means the wall better handles movement and settling over time. If the wall is being undercut by erosion, for example, then the wall is going to require maintenance.

I think the more important questions are

1) Was it obvious to the Park Service rangers the wall was in dangerous condition, not just in need of maintenance?

2) Were the trail users told by the Park Service that the trail was maintained and in safe condition?

The problem with these kinds of lawsuits is that the only way to guarantee trails are absolutely safe is to close them. If the land managers lose enough of these suits, they will just close the parks.

Coastal Rider
    Nov 2006
    I think the term you are wanting is "dry mortar rock wall" or "dry stack rock wall". This means a rock wall built without mortar or reinforcement.
    This was a truly unfortunate accident! Condolences to the family and friends of the young boy that was killed!

~Disc~Golf~
    Thanks man, I had a soup of words floating through my head! - Cribbing, nestling,... cairns...

Anyways, 1 - I wouldn't think so - a the trail is hiked every day by a parks worker - sometimes multiple times. If there was a noticeable hazard - the trail would've been flagged. - no reroute - no anything until it was fixed.

2- In fact, the verbiage is almost contrary. It's been a bit since I was up there so I'm gonna 'loosely quote' - things like 'Caution, this is a wilderness area, dangers exist', 'footing is unstable', 'rocks may fall down because this is a fcuking active volcano!' - stuff like that.

I do not see Lassen Park being closed, but yeah - it's complete BS lawsuit.

Getting back to what I meant about 'maintenance', if one sees rocks missing from the structure, you simply cannot push another rock in there. You have to dismantle the stack until you get to the damage (possibly more) and rebuild it - there is no slapping a coat of paint on or some duct tape.
    You can maintain the tread, and some upper rocks, but this event seems to be from a failure at the foundation/groundwork. - The cause of which is most likely because of the nature of the environment (esp. geologic processes) and the materials at hand - e.g. not nice flat rocks, but odd, crumbly volcanic ones.

~Disc~Golf~
    Yes, Chris, it is unfortunate that a kid died..
    But this multi-million dollar lawsuit is even more unfortunate IMO.

I have met some guys that just happened to built on that trail (and others in the area) - they take their work seriously (as most builders do) and it shows.

~Disc~Golf~
    Anyways, thanks! - I posted - we'll see what kind of response I get - though, I have little to zero hope for the commenters on this local paper's site. - I swear - nearly everyone has an IQ below 80 - so even if you have a sound argument, they'll come back with *shut up - look at the poop I made and threw at you - *licksfinger* yummy! PASTE*

mtbr member
    Vocabulary. Cool.

There is a really good way to tell a person with under 80 IQ that they dont' know anyting.

search Plato Cave allegory in google. IT's less that 20 min read and it has changed my life.... I am an instructor/teacher and it can be difficult to wake a sleeping mind. I suggest reading the plane english text but if your below 120 IQ here is the clif notes

Allegory of the Cave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Whats the term for the wood ramps on the mountain? Is there vocabulary for those things that do different stuff. Ramps drop offs, jumps (with lip at the end) Those are relatively new to me and I just crashed on one yesterday
    Bart Brejcha
    Design-engine.com
    engineer retraining