mtbr member

Sutter 300 Trail Dozer

Saw this at the California Trails and Greenways Conference in Tahoe last week. I am all for narrower trails and hope some land mangers around here pick some up.

Sutter 300 Trail Dozer-58bbf18e-1798-41dc-9e4b-cab127d61d26.jpg
    Sutter 300 Trail Dozer-3a3d7ac5-88dc-43a9-8ea7-52cff0da451b.jpg
    Sutter 300 Trail Dozer-6461be5f-d63f-4c5a-b97c-f85f817894c8.jpg
    Sutter 300 Trail Dozer-79788059-8396-4e98-9cbf-ad4cff92dc32.jpg
    Sutter 300 Trail Dozer-cf303c1e-b62d-4154-809d-9ad53badb622.jpg

Sutter 300 Single Track Mini Trail Dozer - The Ultimate Trail Building Machine

Sutter 300 Trail Dozer Specs
    Engine: Kubota V1505 Turbo
    EPA Rating: Tier 3
    Fuel: Diesel
    Horsepower: 44 HP 3,000 RPM
    Type: 4 cylinders
    Cooling Medium: Water
    Electrical System: 12 volts
    Max Inclination, all angels: 30 degrees
    Fuel Consumption (Avg): 1.0 Gal/Hr
    Transmission
    Sauer-Danfoss twin hydrostatic pumps and Auburn Gear 70,000 in. lb. torque hubs

Steering
    Dual controls, full hydrostatic, counter rotating

Hydraulics
    Gear Pump 11 g.p.m. 2200 PSI triple filtration, 10 micron.

Undercarriage
    Make: Berco
    Track Frame: Rigid Frame
    Track Rollers: 4 Bottom
    Shoes per Track: 31
    Track Width x Lth: 7" x 48"
    Ground pressure: 5.9 PSI

Service Refill capacity
    Fuel Tank: 6.5 Gal
    Hydraulic Sustem: 19 gal
    Crankcase: 6 Qt
    Cooling System: 3 Gal.

Frame
    2" and 1/2" high tensile steel, unitized with full belly pan, hardened steel pins and bushings, designed for heavy mini dozer servicese.

Miscellaneous
    Width: 29.5"
    Length (with blade) 8'
    Height: 4'7"
    Ground Clearence: 4"
    Gross Weight (with blade): 4060 lbs
    Travel Speed: 0-5 MPH
    Max Blade Lift: 11"
    Max Blade Drop: 10"
    Max Blade Angle: 30 degrees
    Max Blade Tilt: 25 degrees

middle ring single track

How...

...much does it cost?

(I know, if one has to ask you probably can't afford it!)

With their proclamation "Pay for the Sutter 300 Mini Trail Dozerô in less than one season with the savings realized from decreased labor costs" I wonder what the basis is?

I also wonder where the exhaust wound up; the unit in the video has the tip of the pipe not much more than one foot from the operator's head.

Cute machine though.
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

FatBike Fiend
    I checked it out in person at the American Trails Symposium in AZ last month. Seems very well made, it has a 2 inch thick steel belly pan so it has a low CG and is rock solid stability wise. The demo trail they were using it on was on decomposed granite (easy trail building) so I didn't get to see it handle stumps, big roots, or rocks. Looks like a good product. I heard around $62K for price which seems steep when compared to a Ditchwitch SK650 or similar but it looks like it can do more work what with the steel tracks and all. You'd still need to us it in tandem with a miniex in most cases.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Great tools for the desert but may not work here in western Washington. Check out the web site, they have cool wall and bridge building stuff.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    I run the larger model (500) here in the southeast and it is an amazing machine but a mini-x is nice to follow up. I would rather sit and operate than stand behind and you can narrow up the trail with the mini. Our trails that are 2 yrs old or older do not look machine cut anymore. Sutter equipment is very reliable and the 300 would not disappoint.
    Too wet to ride!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    "Pay for the Sutter 300 Mini Trail Dozerô in less than one season with the savings realized from decreased labor costs"

When many trail clubs rely on free volunteer labor I wonder how the labor costs decrease? The pricing seems steep. They still require a skilled opertator. Many clubs may or may not have that person(s). I'm still a fan of the DitchWitch or better yet, the Rogue Hoe...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blum585 View Post
    "Pay for the Sutter 300 Mini Trail Dozerô in less than one season with the savings realized from decreased labor costs"

When many trail clubs rely on free volunteer labor I wonder how the labor costs decrease? The pricing seems steep. They still require a skilled opertator. Many clubs may or may not have that person(s). I'm still a fan of the DitchWitch or better yet, the Rogue Hoe...
    That's true as far as it goes. Obviously a lot of clubs don't have much money to pay for machine rentals or professional builders for that matter.

I've used a Ditch Witch and have no reason to suspect it was easier to use or more suited for the job of trail building than the Sutter. However, it was available for rent in my area at the time money became available. I guess that makes me a fan too!

IMO, this is being pitched to pro builders, not clubs or individuals with little or no money to spend. We can dream though.

"...better yet, the Rogue Hoe..." Hmmm, I think I'll part ways with you on that point. I've built trail by hand and by machine. It's a pretty easy call which one leaves me with more time to ride. I'm just not very good at getting other people to pay for rentals.

Walt

cowbell
    I wouldn't mind trying a dozer or something like an SK650. To date, all I've built trail with machine wise is a mini-ex. I suspect it's the slowest thing to use machine wise, but when the municipality you're building trail in has one and lets you use it to build trail in their parks, you smile, say thank you, and build trail.